Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Player in the market

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow! A four-point! For free? No. Way.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    forgot to mention, it is free, and if that doesn't work, they suggest you go see your optometrist or optician who normally will perform free adjustments, but if they do charge you DB will reimburse you up to $10.00

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post

So what does Essilor has to do with that venture?

Right now very possibly .......................................nothing

They are manufacturers of lenses with a string of satellite companies and also have ventured into frames a couple of years ago.

1) By owning "Frames Direct" and "GKB Optical" on-line, in India, they are most probably the largest on-line optical world wide.

2) By owning most of the large optical labs on this continent and other parts of the globe they control to a large part the wholesale lens prices.

3) If the kiosk idea becomes successful they will add it to their system or purchase a company that is already existing and experienced in that field.

They don't care as long as they can sell their manufactured goods at their price and the consumer just gets it from different retail price levels.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, I'm glad that there are a lot of opticians and optometrists out there that will adjust outside glasses for free or for fee. This will help the consumer be able to purchase from kiosks much easier.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looking forward to my $50 consultations when the kiosk and the online company can't make the glasses right! I'll either gain new customers or send them back where they came from. No more free adjustments for "outsiders" either.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Well, I'm glad that there are a lot of opticians and optometrists out there that will adjust outside glasses for free or for fee. This will help the consumer be able to purchase from kiosks much easier.
    There will always be optical wh0res* out there. Look at how many doc's take the most worthless plans.

* My apologies to wh0res everywhere for degrading your profession with the word optical.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    but if they do charge you DB will reimburse you up to $10.00
    Charge $20.00...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Their website selling eyeglasses and contacts is:
    riteaidvisioncarecenter.com

Their price is 39+20=59, including the basic lenses. USD59 is the lowest price for whole pair in their website, all other choices and combinations of frames and lenses will exceed USD59. For in-store price, 59 is not high even comparing with Walmart Optical.

Today I have a research of the vision center of Rite Aid. Most likely this is a program initialed by DB Vision, because the registrant of above long domain name is DBVision.com, and the whole order process and the website layout and design of above website is almost the same as DBVision.com, which is the supplier of Digital Balance lenses.

Any comments?
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will be sure to advise our patients that over 50% of the glasses purchased thru an online resource fail Rx check or/and Safety. I may just make it in to a poster. Those that purchase online usually only do so once, similar to buying at the chains and bigbox that use 30 year old technology then compare to what knowledgable Opticians can have made for them. To charge or not to charge for adjustments....a chance to educate and gain a customer by doing it for free or charge, attempt to educate and wonder if they will come back. oh lightbulb! Maybe charge and give them a voucher for the price to buy glasses at a reputable place (here)!!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by IhaveSpecialEyes View Post
    I will be sure to advise our patients that over 50% of the glasses purchased thru an online resource fail Rx check or/and Safety. I may just make it in to a poster. Those that purchase online usually only do so once, similar to buying at the chains and bigbox that use 30 year old technology then compare to what knowledgable Opticians can have made for them. To charge or not to charge for adjustments....a chance to educate and gain a customer by doing it for free or charge, attempt to educate and wonder if they will come back. oh lightbulb! Maybe charge and give them a voucher for the price to buy glasses at a reputable place (here)!!!!
    A voucher sounds a good sustainable model: you may gain the customer back!

Any comments?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm. Voucher is a very good idea!

Thread Information