Thread: New pope? Get ready for the conclave with some "Fat Elvis". Audio! No, not Catholic.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

New pope? Get ready for the conclave with the right audio track. Elvis lives!

Actually, it's the papal enclave (not "conclave", an erroneous but often used wording).

I extracted a short audio segment from the Imus In The Morning radio broadcast earlier this week. Approved for general audiences, or I wouldn't risk posting it here. It really brings "Elvis" back to life for me.

Audio content in mp3 format now available exclusively via direct email from rinselberg@comcast.net (and it's free).

Please use "Imus radio" in the subject line to expedite processing.

Warning: It's not for those who draw a strict line between jocularity and faith.

As far as this Vatican election is going, I certainly have no skin in the game. But I can't get over this audio track. I think it rocks!

Last edited by rinselberg; 03-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, that's pretty funny! So is this a safe enough place to post songs mocking the Prophet Muhammad, rabbis,and other religious figures?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    I didn't think of it as mocking the man, the office or the religion that he represents. Using jocular references to some current events--even emphasizing with some of the problems confronting the current and next holder of that office (in a roundabout way)--but not mocking, as in "making a mockery of".

I would draw a parallel between Mohammed and the central historical figure of all Christian denominations, but I wouldn't elevate a pope to that level. Not even the serving one. The fallacy perhaps, of a poster who is not Catholic.

I have seen various routines about Mohammed or about Muslims (on line), and some have made me laugh, but not one of them came across to me as just harmless fun. They all played off the themes of--wait for it--international subversion and violence. So I wouldn't have posted any of that.

Rabbis? I haven't seen a good ribbing along those lines lately, and even if I did, I wouldn't have posted it: Not enough of a "market" for it, I suspect.

Demographics (many Catholics on board here). Drama (international news focus on the Vatican election). A well-crafted "Elvis" impersonation. It all adds up to a perfect storm of temptation for Satan to slip through one of the cracks (if that's what happened).

I didn't think it was derogatory.

"Thank ya' very much."
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-10-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wasn't referring to the pope. I was referring to the mockery of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, and Jesus. ( I only listened to the first line, and am guessing that Jesus is mentioned as it continues.

I'm a big boy, and can handle my religion, it's leaders, symbols, and traditions being mocked. It's an easy target, and one that many take aim at. No problem.

I like to play the "what if" game. "What if" you switched the names for other religions, ethnic cultures, or sexual preferences? Why are some taboo to mock (Muslim, African American, Transgender), while it's open season on others?

I have ALWAYS appreciated your posts and the information they deliver. When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be another informative, probing look into one process or another. My first thought after I listened to it was to double check the name and see if Chip had be "unbanned". Chip often offered valuable information, peppered with "unique" insights. With Chip, I always waited for the "cringe" moment. It was just something that came with the territory. I guess I hadn't expected that with you.
    Last edited by Johns; 03-09-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Occupation
    Here I am!

I didn't perceive any mockery of Jesus in it. It used "Jesus H. Christ" for comic effect--who hasn't heard that before(?)--but I didn't see it as a mockery of Christian faith. For me, it was more about Elvis.

I didn't think it was derogatory.

Last edited by rinselberg; 03-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What's happening now actually is the Papal Conclave, not enclave. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_conclave
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Hey, that's pretty funny! So is this a safe enough place to post songs mocking the Prophet Muhammad, rabbis,and other religious figures?
    Personally, I'd use caution mocking Muhammad. At least one of our frequent posters is Muslim and this board is accessible world-wide. Let's use a little common-sense, please.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Personally, I'd use caution mocking Muhammad. At least one of our frequent posters is Muslim and this board is accessible world-wide. Let's use a little common-sense, please.
    Thank you for making my point. See how cautious we are when we want to be?

I don't need to be reminded as to who has access to this board. I had everyone in mind when I replied to this thread.

Occupation
    The least you can do is be an equal opportunity offender. Offend every religion or none. I don't see why one should have a superior position than another. That said, this isn't the forum to air religious grievances. Anyone interested in my political and religious opinions can visit my FB page.
    FWIW, I don't consider stating ones religion or lack thereof to be offensive.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Well, I went back and edited my original post. I replaced the link with another way to get the free audio content. But it's not for those who draw a strict line between jocularity and faith.

Did someone just say "free"..?

Last edited by rinselberg; 03-10-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    There does seem to be a certain unfairness in our society and especially our media, regarding religion, in that we often see Christianity openly mocked and derided, while Islam and most other religions are treated with respect. Where's the EO police?

Occupation

From the "How this all got started" department.

Spiritual craftsmanship: Meet the pope's shoemaker
    http://dailynightly.nbcnews.com/_new...shoemaker?lite
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-10-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Occupation

Conclave smoke signals a bit of a gray area

The Vatican has a long history of not getting its ducks in a row when it comes to the famous smoke signal. Even the last time around. An NBC Staff Writer reports:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...gray-area?lite

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

Spiritual craftsmanship: Meet the pope's shoemaker
    http://dailynightly.nbcnews.com/_new...shoemaker?lite
    Well, this is interesting....I haven't been 'on' in a while and am floating around here just dropping comments for the fun of it. Way too serious in parts of this one, so I'll say what I came to say....

.........those are some snazzy read shoes!!! Look forward to my freebie when it comes via email!
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Thread Information