Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Wear to Work?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    in our office, women's dress code is "skirt, dress, blouse, nylons, no denim" ... THAT being said, the only part of that that is strictly enforced is the skirt part. we have girls who come in wearing tee shirts, "dresses" that actually look like very long tee shirts with leggings, denim skirts with knee high boots, and lots of other loose interpretations of the dress code.

Personally i try to keep it at dressy casual, but nothing says "trust me, i work in a doctors office" like a logo tee from your local american eagle store being in maine though, wouldn't i kill to be able to wear a nice pair of dress pants!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Demographics to your area are readily available on line. Take advantage of the information you will find there.
    If located in a industrial shipyard building community then dress accordingly.
    Located in a college university town dress accordingly.
    Located on Dr's dr with all white collar Md's around dress accordingly.
    Located in the legal district and everyone wears suites and ties dress accordingly.
    If none of these areas are how you really want to dress then relocate.
    Make the people coming into the store comfortable they pay the bills for you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In our genera area, office attire spans between business dress and scrubs. I've been in a good number of the offices in the area where we operate, and have yet to encounter anything really in-between. The irony here is that we're all within only a few miles of one another, in areas without that much shift in demographics; and because of the close-quarters nature of the suburban North Houston area, it's not at all unusual for someone from one region to crossover into another for whatever reason. But even owing to the tremendous number of patients with professional background in blue-collar work, I've yet to see an office in the area where there was a business casual/jeans and shirts environment. (It becomes intensely frustrating to have to tell men day after day to take their hats off for the NCT and autorefractor. Just as astonishing is the number of men who must coordinate their new frames to their baseball hat).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I typically wear dress pants, dress shirt, and tie. I've recently discovered how comfortable suspenders are and have been wearing them to work. I am surprised on the amount of compliments I get.

On hot days, dress pants and a nice polo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Farm country: Black pants with black Vans and a button down shirt. Some days, I get crazy and wear dangle earrings.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    I now work in an MD office wearing scrubs (cute ones) and my sales are way better than the last optician who dressed to the 9's. I have in the past worked in a fancy LA shop where we were allowed to wear casual clothes and we were very successful there as well. I think WHO you hire is way more important than the dress code.
    We work in an OD's office and also wear Cherokee Flexibles scrubs. Form fitting and yes, also cute :)

Thread Information