Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Wear to Work?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

What Do You Wear to Work?

Hello all!

I am opening an upscale optician-run shop in the fall of this year. It will most likely be myself and maybe one other part time employee to start out. After time in the corporate/non-dispensing world, I'm curious what your thoughts are on optician dress code.

Our shop will be a little artsy/gallery like with classic and current music videos to match our classic and current eyewear selection.

I have my own ideas, but I'd just like to know what your thoughts are in all of your different segments in the market.

Thanks!
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

I like to be very fashion forward and thankfully my ODs think that fashion is important as well. Right now I'm wearing a pair of skinny jeans with a blazer, tory burch wedge heels, and funky earrings. I like to think people appreciate that I don't look like a frump especially in our area- a lot of new money gets thrown around here in Ballantyne and I like to look like I'm qualified to help them spend it! Clothes don't make the optician but being stylish never hurts. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When I started out, Drs. wore ties, reps wore three piece suits (remember in the 70's and early 80's frames were purchased from your wholesale lab) and dispensaries for lack of a better term were mostly cookie cutter designs.
    Times have changed whether for good or bad but we have to adapt to those changes. If you're upscale shop is designed to cater to business exec types, then dress for that clientele. if it is more chic and boutiquish( is that a word?) then dress for that clientele, only you can answer that question.
    Personally, I've run the gamut; from golf shirts to ties to ties and lab coats.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE
    Dress for that clientele.
    [/QUOTE]
    I totally agree.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Right now I'm wearing a pair of skinny jeans with a blazer, tory burch wedge heels, and funky earrings. I like to think people appreciate that I don't look like a frump"

Please tell me you're a woman. (Not that there is anything wrong with that is you're not).
    Can't see myself wearing that to work. They might suggest a few days off if I did. But then, I am a 59yr old male, grey hair and wear xl coats.
    Last edited by waynegilpin; 03-08-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 Dress for your clientel.
    I run the gammut, from jeans to dresses (I am female), depending on my mood and weather. If I was in a slightly higher class area, I probably wouldn't ever wear my company t-shirts, but at this location, on Fridays I will be a little more casual. However, I am in Phoenix, which is the perfect place to forget how to dress appropriately. (I have seen ripped jeans at theatre openings.)
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    "Right now I'm wearing a pair of skinny jeans with a blazer, tory burch wedge heels, and funky earrings. I like to think people appreciate that I don't look like a frump"
    Maybe it is a man, dressing to suit his clientele. Whatever it takes to maintain business...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I now work in an MD office wearing scrubs (cute ones) and my sales are way better than the last optician who dressed to the 9's. I have in the past worked in a fancy LA shop where we were allowed to wear casual clothes and we were very successful there as well. I think WHO you hire is way more important than the dress code.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyocook View Post
    Hello all!

I am opening an upscale optician-run shop in the fall of this year. It will most likely be myself and maybe one other part time employee to start out. After time in the corporate/non-dispensing world, I'm curious what your thoughts are on optician dress code.

Our shop will be a little artsy/gallery like with classic and current music videos to match our classic and current eyewear selection.

I have my own ideas, but I'd just like to know what your thoughts are in all of your different segments in the market.

Thanks!
    I wear dress pants and a Robert Graham or 7 Downie Street dress shirt, polished shoes and a nice watch to work now.
    I used to be a blazer, shirt and tie guy but the trend is for business casual.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This is wholesale and i own it and i wear whatever I feel like. If it's cold like now i wear a longish skirt and sweater, if it's warm maybe a short skirt and tube top.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Business casual. I hate scrubs and think they all look unprofessional, unless you're in surgery and likely to get human goo all over you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post

Please tell me you're a woman. (Not that there is anything wrong with that is you're not).
    Can't see myself wearing that to work. They might suggest a few days off if I did. But then, I am a 59yr old male, grey hair and wear xl coats.
    Yes, very a feminine looking female. :) My OD's are very conservative- I don't think a dude in drag would get far in this area of Charlotte. Not to say some of my male clientele hasn't had a prediliction for the ladies styles but I'm only here to love, not judge...LOL!!!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nice article Judy, and may I say you looked fabulous at SECO last Saturday. Pleasure to meet you in person! :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I agree with Mr. Tibbs. I would recommend dress for the demographic. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with jeans, a button down, and nice shoes. I think jeans can look just as classy as a pair of khaki's or dress pants but in the right environment. Unfortunately I work somewhere that requires dressier attire. One thing I would like to recommend is if you have an employee with tattoos and have a trendy youthful customer base then you may want to be open to allowing tattoos shown. Ultimately, it all goes back to your demographic and customer base. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Nice article Judy, and may I say you looked fabulous at SECO last Saturday. Pleasure to meet you in person! :)
    Why thank you! You looked fab as well! SECO was fun again this year, though De De and I did miss Lee at the booth.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as an Optician in WI i wore a suit to work everyday. now that im home in AK i wear pretty much whatever i want as people here look like mountainmen and women. nothing anyone wears matches, its just functional. i see women wearing xtratuff's with their dresses to go out to "fancy" events. its wierd.... shoot, my OD wears flip flops, shorts and a beanie year round in the office. i usually wear my 5.11 khaki's and a 5.11 l/s button up during the day but on occasion just some jeans and a t shirt. demographics are going to be the key. my goal is to look just a little better than everyone i work with. that has served me well.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Regardless of what you chose to wear on your body, everyone in the office MUST wear eyewear from your selection of what you stock. If your part time help needs no correction then it's plano lenses in one of your frames. If you're not wearing what you sell it sends a very negative message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyocook View Post
    Hello all! I am opening an upscale optician-run shop in the fall of this year. It will most likely be myself and maybe one other part time employee to start out. After time in the corporate/non-dispensing world, I'm curious what your thoughts are on optician dress code. Our shop will be a little artsy/gallery like with classic and current music videos to match our classic and current eyewear selection. I have my own ideas, but I'd just like to know what your thoughts are in all of your different segments in the market. Thanks!
    Dress like a musician/starving artist! I prefer to wear contact lenses.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just started back at a place where it's all black unless I'm in the lab, and then it's all black and a lab coat. Since I'm a rebel I jazz it up with a colorful scarf (which is also my patented don't stare at the goods when I'm taking a PD blocker)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I dressed for my demographics and clientle by and large I would be wearing pajama pants and an oversized sweatshirt to work. I prefer to dress classic with a trendy flair mostly black accented with bright color.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd say that above everything else, start by wearing a smile. After that, in descending order, be clean, smell nice, be neat and have some self respect and respect for your profession. Dress appropriately. Be friendly, self deprecating and have a sense of humor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about female employees who choose to wear no make-up and their hair in a ponytail everyday? Our upper management would like to require us to coif and primp but I say you really can't force that as it would be discriminatory. Even so I do get tired of putting on the full face and doing the hair 5 or 6 days a week though I would never go to work looking like I do at home.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Shirt, slacks, and tie most days of the week; a suit or sportcoat and slacks when meeting wit reps, or when we've booked patients that I know will appreciate a dressier appearance more. Business casual when I work weekends.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    If I dressed for my demographics and clientle by and large I would be wearing pajama pants and an oversized sweatshirt to work. I prefer to dress classic with a trendy flair mostly black accented with bright color.
    Ditto for me, plus flip flops/fake Uggs and the required camo or blaze orange.

Thread Information