Thread: Any recomendations for individual pal lens dispensing assistance? please help

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Any recomendations for individual pal lens dispensing assistance? please help

We need a individual progressive lens dispensing assistant device. As I know, there're 3 choices: Smarteyepix from Pfo GLOBAL, Optikampad and Anyview-pro.
    Anyone has certain experience in this area? which one is reliable and what about the price?

thanks a lot in advance for your oppinion.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need this why? We just got the latest Eyepad with the PD measure included. It's no more accurate than the pupillometer that we already had and is not accurarate for monocular PD'S. Until you can assure the device is precisely lined up. it will not give you monocular PD'S but will give you total PD'S

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    hi,rdcoach5, what we want most from the device is the measure of wearing position like: panto/Wrap angle and eye-lens distance. We don't have that kind of device yet. Indipendent PD measure is good but we can do it in other way.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use the Optikam daily and can say first hand that the measurements with the Optikam are extremely accurate and consistent. Monocular pd's, seg heights, face form, rear vertex distant, and panto angle are done with only one picture and the information can be calculated quickly. I have found that the patients are impressed when we are using the Optikam when taking their measurements and they appreciate that we use the latest technology available today. I tell them that is huge benefit when coming to our office vs going to other places that are taking the measurements like I use to for the last 30 years. Although I can take as accurate manual measurements as any Optician or Optometrist, I would never go back to using a marker and pupilometer again. Patients now see LC advertising how accurate taking digital measurements and many other commercial and independent optical's are now using this technology so it will be hard to justify to a customer why taking the measurements as you have in the past is better than using this technology. Plus if you plan to selling tomorrows digital lenses it is necessary to give then additional 3 measurements ( Panto angle, vertex distance, and face form ) which are extremely hard to do manually.
    Last edited by Opticianjw; 03-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    I use the Optikam daily and can say first hand that the measurements with the Optikam is extremely accurate and consistent. Monocular pd's, seg heights, face form, rear vertex distant, and panto angle are done with only one picture and the information can be calculated quickly. I have found that the patients are impressed when we are using the Optikam when taking their measurements and they appreciate that we use the latest technology available today. I tell them that is huge benefit when coming to our office vs going to other places that are taking the measurements like I use to for the last 30 years. Although I can take as accurate manual measurements as any Optician or Optometrist, I would never go back to using a marker and pupilometer again. Patients now see LC advertising how accurate taking digital measurements and many other commercial and independent optical's are now using this technology so it will be hard to justify to a customer why taking the measurements as you have in the past is better than using this technology. Plus if you plan to selling tomorrows digital lenses it is necessary to give then additional 3 measurements ( Panto angle, vertex distance, and face form ) which is extremely hard to do manually.
    thanks, I guess you are right about the effect: to attract the eyeball of the customer. Actually I don't quite believe in the individual lens since Zeiss\big E\HOYA\Rodenstock all have there own different calculating results. But I think that does work for the psychological effcet.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
    hi,rdcoach5, what we want most from the device is the measure of wearing position like: panto/Wrap angle and eye-lens distance. We don't have that kind of device yet. Indipendent PD measure is good but we can do it in other way.
    You can get inexpensive (free, from our Zeiss rep )tools to measure panto ,wrap and vertex. Again, if you spot the center of the illuminated pupil with a felt tip pen and thenback off slightly , you can see if you have indeed targeted the center of the pupil.Any of these optikams or pupillometers are only accurate for monocular PD's if
    1 you are dead centered and your machine has no skew or tilt
    2 There is no bone or bridge imperfection - which is rare, in my experience. Few have level eyebrows for example
    3 If the Optikam type machine gives you a mono Pd of 33/30 for example mark that on the demos and look at the result on the pt with a bright penlight.You'll see what I mean

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    You can get inexpensive (free, from our Zeiss rep )tools to measure panto ,wrap and vertex. Again, if you spot the center of the illuminated pupil with a felt tip pen and thenback off slightly , you can see if you have indeed targeted the center of the pupil.Any of these optikams or pupillometers are only accurate for monocular PD's if
    2 There is no bone or bridge imperfection - which is rare, in my experience. Few have level eyebrows for example
    3 If the Optikam type machine gives you a mono Pd of 33/30 for example mark that on the demos and look at the result on the pt with a bright penlight.You'll see what I mean
    Same thing with the Zeiss iTerminal (another measurement device option).

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    True.

I don't understand the allure of video centration devices except that they might be impressive looking. I used to think they might be time savers, but after talking to folks who have used them, it takes about the same amount of time as the manual methods when it's done properly, especially when you consider the fitting height accuracy from a video device is not dependable.

Unless you're measuring for low power single vision lenses, the time it takes to find an eyeglass frame that positions the lenses in front of the eyes optimally, fits the bridge and temples properly, is thoroughly adjusted for proper fit before measurements (be they manual or video assisted), and at the same time satisfies all of the cosmetic elements, it seems like folly to save a 90 seconds, if that.

Maybe the future for mild, ametropes includes an autorefractor, video centration device, and a send button to Danyang, but the rest of us, with few exceptions (destitution), will not only require, but will seek out professional opticians for face to face/hands on service.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information