Thread: Frame Reps?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Frame Reps?

Just a general question to all you opticians out there who manage your frame boards. How often do you let the frame reps check your boards? To check for out of date stock and/or possible purchase new product? How long will you let a frame sit on your boards before you exchange it out or get rid of it?
    Thanks for any advice

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my experience, most reps like to come in at least once a quarter, but there are some I only see once a year. As far as exchanging, I might give a frame 6 months or more. Every so often, rep's will take back old non-movers that aren't even their own frame lines, in exchange for credit towards new product.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I managed my own boards and saw reps every quarter for top lines and less for others. New styles might get a six month trial run to watch turnover rates.

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same here...generally once a quarter or longer depending on how busy we are. And I try and exchange anything that's been sitting for six months or so.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you guys saying that you are only replacing product once a quarter as well?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would see reps about once per quarter as well. I would generally order enough to cover, but on the few times we had a "hit" frame that moved more than I thought, or I was seeking something specific for a client, I would order additional stock between visits.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No offense meant, but if you only have a frame in stock 4x a year, how do you know if it's a "hit?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We see our reps typically every 8 weeks or so... we have a couple that we only see 2 times a year that live really far away, but we stock up if its stuff we sell A LOT ... we will restock as we see fit the "big sellers" ... I usually ask the rep if they get credit for the online orders, and then we'll just order on there for stocking up as needed between visits, if they don't i always call or e-mail them to put the order in for us so they get credit for them. Its good to be friends with the reps, they can help you out in a jam sometimes.

if a frame sits for 2 visits i'll send it back. especially if it is a line that we typically move pretty well. Some items like kids, rimless, and others we don't have as much turnover in i'll keep them as long as they're a good looking sturdy frame for about 6 months.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see reps about one a month, so it vary's year round. If I have a hot seller, frame that moves ASAP, I will re-order, if that sells quickly then I know I have a new favorite frame.
    Some reps I only see once a year (they travel to AZ). I also buy alot of product that is mine once I pay for it via very deep discounts.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I take more of a Fezz/Johns approach to purchasing frames. Usually I get no switch outs but get a great deal in the purchase. On those occasions when I have done business with a rep, I find the exchange process to be expensive (e.g., buy 6 to send back 3) and a bother.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    No offense meant, but if you only have a frame in stock 4x a year, how do you know if it's a "hit?"
    I would re-order any new style that sold quickly or sometimes just keep it on the board and order new for the customer.

Bad address email on file matt@edaframes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an ex Optician gone frame rep, Regional, CEO my expectations for my sales consultants was 2 month rotations based on the size of the practice and volume. I would have appointment times set up and would not let my reps just "pop" in. The conceptual sellers were the visionaries of the field who would come in and merchandise the boards, dust, check the screws, 4 point bench align their frames, and clean demo lenses. This is a lost art but the veterans who did this typically showed a higher sell through with their product. The conceptual sellers would naturally pull their product after 4 to 6 months if a frame did not have a successful turn ratio. Remember if a frames does not have a successful 2.2 turn ratio per year your loosing money by having that frame in your inventory.

Also the good sales consultants should be willing to do a straight exchange if something is not selling without resistance. If your being asked to do a 3 to 1 or 5 to 1 exchange, then change frame companies.
    Last edited by matt@edaframes; 03-07-2013 at 07:35 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    [QUOTE=matt@edaframes;454298]As an ex Optician gone frame rep, Regional, CEO my expectations for my sales consultants was 2 month rotations based on the size of the practice and volume. QUOTE]

ex Opticain, that strikes me as funny. Once an Optician always and Optician!!!
    Last edited by Plausible; 03-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice Post Matt! Great advice. I agree with Plausible also!!! You never know when it can come in handy again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is true Plausible, I guess being an Optician runs deep in the blood steam. The good news is I have worked on both sides of the fence and have met the conceptual thinkers and the less desirable order takers. The conceptual sellers rule of thumb is that the product should have an annual turn rate of 2.2 turns. If it is not moving within 2 rep visits it should be pulled. Most conceptual sellers will do this automatically without resistance. The reputable companies will also do a straight exchange in needed. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt@edaframes View Post
    Remember if a frames does not have a successful 2.2 turn ratio per year your loosing money by having that frame in your inventory.
    Matt, Your the only other person that I know that has mentioned inventory turn over ratio. You are talking about with the standard 2.5 margin, correct? and how did you come at this number? I don't disagree with it, its close to what I came up with too.

I am in Seattle, but in NYC right now. I would like to meet with you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Matt, Your the only other person that I know that has mentioned inventory turn over ratio. You are talking about with the standard 2.5 margin, correct? and how did you come at this number? I don't disagree with it, its close to what I came up with too.

I am in Seattle, but in NYC right now. I would like to meet with you.
    It was from Jobson back in the day. Sounds good on meeting, shoot me an email - I just got back from Seattle.

matt@edaframes.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    There is one company I know of that will only take 25% back. So you need to be very mindful of what you are selling and what you buy. Also alot of companies will not take anything back after 1 year. So even with the reps checking (usually at every visit) its good to check yourself. It is always good to check on a companies policies not only with the rep but by calling the supplier directly.

Thread Information