OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

PAL choice

Hello,

OD=S+0.50/C-0.50x170/ADD+2.75
    OS=S+0.50/ADD+2.75
    PD=63

I dispensed Rodenstock lifefree colormatic grey 1.54 long corridor and after two weeks the client came back he simply felt uncomfortable with his vision.
    He's a first time progressive wearer, only has reading glasses previously.
    Does switching it to rodenstock multigressive myview or essilor physio 360 would ease his pain?

Rest assured the Rx is completely accurate. Checked with OD twice.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First time wearer with a 2.75 add is gonna have difficulty with any progressive. Try lined bifocal or try reducing the add by a diopter or so and let him ease into it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Or use a double surfaced lens to help manage the add.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they've worn sv near full field reading glasses all their lives they are a poor candidate for progressives. They have to be very motivated to wear them successfully.

Try to find out if they really want progressives and go from there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Great, I take all of your input. My sincere Thanks. HOWEVER, is there such lens that could accommodate the Rx? without manipulating the power accordingly?

If not then I wonder why lens company sells their premium lens for a price of diamonds and Rolex watches. Anyone??

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optoanomaly View Post
    Great, I take all of your input. My sincere Thanks. HOWEVER, is there such lens that could accommodate the Rx? without manipulating the power accordingly?

If not then I wonder why lens company sells their premium lens for a price of diamonds and Rolex watches. Anyone??
    Patient selection and expectation is the key.

This person was expecting more than any progressive can deliver is my thought.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whatever lens design you choose is going to require patience and persistance from both fitter and wearer. If you have access to Seiko products, I would suggest you investigate the Surmount or Surmount WS.

There is a lot to ground to cover between "I'm uncomfortable" and "I can't see". Simply walking a patient backwards through 100 years of technology doesn't seem, at least to me, a wise decision.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get this all the time. There is no sense, in my experience, to bouncing around from lens type to lens type to get a +2.75 add presbyope who has always worn NVO's to become satisfied with a progressive. If they understand the lens design and that they will be limited vs what they are used to they can work into it. But that's a big "if". Managing patient expectations would be much more sensible in this case, I believe.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    1st time at +2.75 and NVO wearer...uncomfortable to say the least. Lower your expectations and change lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

OS=S+0.50/ADD+2.75
    PD=63

I dispensed Rodenstock lifefree colormatic grey 1.54 long corridor and after two weeks the client came back he simply felt uncomfortable with his vision.
    Does switching it to rodenstock multigressive myview or essilor physio 360 would ease his pain?

Many words of wisdom stated by all posters to this thread, and I would only like to add the answer to your question, highlighted above. My answer would be:

Only if the pain is in his pocket where his wallet/creditcard resides.

Realistic expectations about the number of elephants that might make access to the river, difficult.........should be shared before the journey!
    Eyes wide open

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Patient selection and expectation is the key.

This person was expecting more than any progressive can deliver is my thought.
    if fact ( or probably ) He might had thought Progressive better then SV-Near ( which is true too ) but SV-Near & Progressive have their Pros and Cones.......If explained to him prior to order........This Situation shouldn't have arrived.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I echo Judy 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Whatever lens design you choose is going to require patience and persistance from both fitter and wearer. If you have access to Seiko products, I would suggest you investigate the Surmount or Surmount WS.

There is a lot to ground to cover between "I'm uncomfortable" and "I can't see". Simply walking a patient backwards through 100 years of technology doesn't seem, at least to me, a wise decision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Without knowing your patients history, Distance Visual Accuity, and age, its impossible to make a full recommendation. Your patient on the surface seems could be a previous latent hyperope with reasonable uncorrected accuity, many of these people don't wear their progressives full time and thus fail to adapt to even the best lenses. I would have been weary fitting your patient with anything without a long discussion of the issues of a person jumping to a progressive with a 2.75 add for the first time, explaining that success would require full time wear.

If the patient after that discussion and warning, still wanted a progressive, I wouldn't fit them with an older design lens, I would have only used the Seiko Surmount.

Hello,

OS=S+0.50/ADD+2.75
    PD=63

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Flat Top 35 would be a good choice. No progressive gives you that much reading area.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by mdickson3 View Post

Flat Top 35 would be a good choice. No progressive gives you that much reading area.

Abnove recommendation is the only way to go. A progressive first time with an add of +2.75, is a lens with more distortion than you can dream of. Even if you could fit it 100% correctly it would drive your customer to the psychiatric ward at the local hospital.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Z9_standard_short_wideNear.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	10004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smi02[1].jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	10005

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's his complaint with the progressives? What does uncomfortable with his vision really mean?

He has so little distance that he IS going to see better in the distance with nothing. Did he want progressives so he could see all distances at the same time?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Judy nailed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

What was his DVA? with eyewear and without? Why didn't he wear a progressive before? Was he previously in a tri-focal or bi-focal, or 2+ pairs of SV readers only? How old is he? Is there any underlying pathology? ALL these things you didn't share effect a progressive outcome. Trying to fix progressive issues by randomly changing brands is like driving to Australia by just randomly changing roads.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    ...Trying to fix progressive issues by randomly changing brands is like driving to Australia by just randomly changing roads...

I'm going to blow this quote up, print it out, and taping this above my edger like Optical hieroglyphics.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    we convert such patients to progressives only if multitasking is what they are looking for. Such patients adapt faster than others as they are tired of changing glasses all the time. very high patient motivation level is most important.

Thread Information