Thread: Old Comfort Short or Physio 2.0??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Old Comfort Short or Physio 2.0??

I have a problem to decide.
    Have a patient who wears old Varilux Comfort Short (lens height 26mm), since she has found a frame that haves a lens height size 31mm Varilux Physio 2.0 was my first choice. The powers are the same +2,00 add 2,25. How will she react to the different progressive? Will she adjust to Physio? The lens will be 5mm difference in depth.
    Any answer is accepted and helps.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opti_01 View Post
    I have a problem to decide.
    Have a patient who wears old Varilux Comfort Short (lens height 26mm), since she has found a frame that haves a lens height size 31mm Varilux Physio 2.0 was my first choice. The powers are the same +2,00 add 2,25. How will she react to the different progressive? Will she adjust to Physio? The lens will be 5mm difference in depth.
    Any answer is accepted and helps.
    There are two primary reasons to use a particular corridor length- cosmetics (frame size and shape), and function, with both overlapping to some degree. One has to ask themselves what's best for the client, and then supply that lens. Analyze the Rx, review their history, and ask a lot of questions.

Two of many possible examples...

Example #1, Rx -2.00 DS add +2.00 for both. The client wears for primarly distance only (driving, movies, theatre,etc.), but would like some near capabilty so that she doesn't always have to remove the eyeglasses to see the program or phone. Select a design that is biased towards the distance vision- the Physio or similar.

Example #2, Rx plano sphere add +2.00 for both. Avid reader, watches TV and reads at the same time, some comp (desktop), but refuses separates. Does not wear for walking or driving. Use a shorter corridor and wide near zone to minimize posturing for reading and computer.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you Robert,
    i have asked many questions. She walks and drives with that old comfort short. I have tried to see how she is looking with that Comfort and she moves her head so much but her eyes have so small movment. When she removes her frame her eye movement becomes much more natural. So i thought to give her more natural view with the Physio. Her old frame was metal frame and new frame is nylor. My friend is telling me she will have a problem becouse she is wearing Short and the lens is more in height (old 26mm new 31mm) and width (old 49mm new 53mm) than the old one. So im still in thinking. I know she will have to adjust for some time to Physio. Im totaly out of ideas. As im new in all this it is confusing me.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    One potential problem your patient may encounter transitioning from a short corridor progressive to a conventional lenght corridor progresive is the distance the eye must travel to reach the add. I have had pts complain that they cannot find the add when switching like this.
    This is not to say she will definitely experience this, but to say be aware of the possibility.

Randle

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you Randle

That is what im affraid off.

Thank you again

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'd pick the Zeiss Superb with variable corridor length.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opti_01 View Post
    Thank you Robert,
    i have asked many questions. She walks and drives with that old comfort short. I have tried to see how she is looking with that Comfort and she moves her head so much but her eyes have so small movment. When she removes her frame her eye movement becomes much more natural. So i thought to give her more natural view with the Physio. Her old frame was metal frame and new frame is nylor. My friend is telling me she will have a problem becouse she is wearing Short and the lens is more in height (old 26mm new 31mm) and width (old 49mm new 53mm) than the old one. So im still in thinking. I know she will have to adjust for some time to Physio. Im totaly out of ideas. As im new in all this it is confusing me.
    Trust your skills and instincts, listen carefully to your client, discover clues about what is important to her visually, and explain in clear and simple terms what you're recommending, and why it's being recommended.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi Robert_S
    I have no experiences with Zeiss :( and i do not have it in my store :( .
    Only this brands are in option: Essilor, Hoya, Seiko & Rupp + Hubrach.
    Thank you.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the fitting height in the new frame? You can use a short corridor lens in a deeper frame. I find even at 20 or more a short corridor works very well. The reading area is high and it makes it more comfortable to read.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi Happylady,
    power is R ´+2,00 add 2,25 EP down 21mm up 10, L +2,00 add 2,25 EP down 20mm up 11mm. As far as I have seen from our discussion and conversation, the patient is not satisfied with his progressive. Working in a darkened space without daylight, driving a car, reading and working at a computer. The thing is that the patient had a short corridor. From our conversation my best was to recommend her Physio 2.0. More natural head and eye movment, more wide corridor, is better in low light condotions, more sharpen picture. Only what is bothering me is how will she respond to that long corridor? That is my big concern.
    Thank you so much :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It strikes me that the difference in corridor length between the styles of lenses you mention is perhaps being overstated...if not over-hyped. It should be little to no difficulty at all for the pt to adjust to a traditional corridor length for most patients, particularly as you mentioned that the pt exhibited abnormal head movements with their current short corridor lenses. I would verify by double and triple checking all measurements with the frame properly adjusted in the as-worn position. More often than not, I find that abnormal head movements are related not to the design of the lens itself, but poor optician measurements and/or poor layout and QC at the lab. All else being equal, the transition from shorter to longer corridor shouldn't cause disruption to the visual experience much, if indeed at all I would expect. And, as others have pointed out, it may well help things.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Uilleann, I thank you for reply.
    The problem seems to me is my self-esteem and fear if problem happens or complaint about the glasses. I will not doubt myself. I'll choose what I chose first time. If it will be my fault in that I learn something. Thank you for helping me, I will reply soon when the patient try the glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    To post on my problem with Physio or Comfort short.
    Little objection was to the initial period when tested framework. In fact, the patient says that picture was somewhat a feeling a little closer then with the Comfort Short. After a few days of wearing, patient comes to another adjustment of frame, she slept while reading a book. When talking with patient she noted that the channel is much wider, smoother and softer. The picture is completely clean with enhanced colors and feeling of closeness completely disappeared. The patient eye movement was much more natural. Now after two weeks passed patient comes again in store, and with her where here two best friends wanted to make new eyeglasses. Selection of lenses and channels it was a full hit. So i can say that everything passed well.
    I want to thank to all you who reply on my thread with comments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    opti_01,

Thanks for the follow-up. Congratulations...the safe bet was to use the same lens design, but you did what you thought would be best for your client, a decision that may have been influenced by, I suspect, both science and intuition.

Best Regards,

Robert

Thread Information