Thread: fly fishing glasses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

fly fishing glasses

I have a patient who needs glasses for fly fishing. He has tried the "stick on bifocals", but he gets a ring around the sticker, that is a "deal breaker" for him. He can "get by" with plano for distance, but needs magnifcation for near (+2.00). We looked at the Maui Jim readers, but he said the bifocal would be in his way for walking. They actually worked better for him upside down! He doesn't want to spend a lot of money as he tends to lose his glasses in the water. He is considering the Maui Jim Jim readers, but that is probably his limit for expense. He was thinking a "flipper" style of glasses would be a good match for him. Does anyone know anything about the Neff flippers and Rx-ing them? Any other flippers to consider? He doesn't want a detachable clip as he knows he will lose it right off the bat.
    Any input is appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most fishing supply companies offer sunglasses that are polarized Plano with bifocals.

Example:

http://www.fishingeyes.com/category.php?category=11

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/biposu.html
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-18-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Flyfishies...............like to be cheap, but want champagne results. With that in mind I have used a cheap loupe, that attaches to glasses with an alligator clip.

Bolle, made a fishing sunglass, eons ago, nylon, polarized, with sideshields, that had a moulded plastic that fit over the temporal side, and had a loupe attached. They kinda looked like a fit-over type sunglass........had a blue paint job with fishies alllll over it!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://barzoptics.com/ try these, polaroid and they float and they have models that are plano with a bifocal built in, or you can rx them

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by marseea View Post
    I have a patient who needs glasses for fly fishing. He has tried the "stick on bifocals", but he gets a ring around the sticker, that is a "deal breaker" for him. He can "get by" with plano for distance, but needs magnifcation for near (+2.00). We looked at the Maui Jim readers, but he said the bifocal would be in his way for walking. They actually worked better for him upside down! He doesn't want to spend a lot of money as he tends to lose his glasses in the water. He is considering the Maui Jim Jim readers, but that is probably his limit for expense. He was thinking a "flipper" style of glasses would be a good match for him. Does anyone know anything about the Neff flippers and Rx-ing them? Any other flippers to consider? He doesn't want a detachable clip as he knows he will lose it right off the bat.
    Any input is appreciated.
    I wouldnt neglect any distance correction. Advise him about the benefits of having his vision as sharp as possible when watching a dry fly float down stream.. Also talk to him about various lens tints...yellow is great for overcast or shady fishing. Brown is great for open waters or sun. I personally prefer yellow...

Just some other considerations.

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have in the past flipped a flat top 28 up side down. Especially if plano distance with no inset.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Drivewear is actually great for fishing. However, if budget is an issue, I would go with your suggestion of the Maui Jim readers... in the Maui HT, so he can wear them in more light conditions. Remember the reading segment can go into any Maui frame now, so just pick a deep one for him.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Flyfishies...............like to be cheap, but want champagne results.
    This made me laugh, thinking of my golfing patients.

I have one guy who has a pair just for golfing that we did a tint to mimick the color of drivewear, and we flipped the bifocal upside down as well. He loves it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Oakley's fishing PAL?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You would be surprised how much he may be willing to spend. Ask him how much his graphite fly rod is or how much that new reel will run him. You need to approach it as a piece of equipment and not as "just some shades". That has been my experience all those years ago running Hobie Eyewear Fly Fishing program. Oh! and Amber/brown lenses are the best for stream or shallow waters.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Some of us don't need no stinkin sun glasses. Rogue River, Gold Hill, OR last fall. Ahhh...retirement, how sweet it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish_001_web.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	9492

Thread Information