Thread: Safilo Account - Requirements

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Safilo Account - Requirements

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board so thanks in advance for any help or advice you provide me with.

Im curious to know what is the best way to get an account with some of the major players like safilo? I want to start carrying high end designer glasses and was wondering if they have any requirements (inventory, order size, etc...). Please let me know if you have any info that may be helpful.

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder what are you carrying now?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i don't believe you have to keep a minimum on any of their brands anymore now that there are no guccis and armani's. If you're looking for high-end/designer i would suggest looking into Morel, the quality is great and the pieces are really solid looking. They gave us an 18 pc. min buy in at expo last year per line, so we put in 18 of the OGA's and 18 of the Koali's. We've also brought Etnia into our office for that funkier more colorful feel. They haven't done as well as the morel's though. Those are about as high end as you can go in rural maine though i'm sure there are pricier/more high end frames you could look at!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    i don't believe you have to keep a minimum on any of their brands anymore now that there are no guccis and armani's. If you're looking for high-end/designer i would suggest looking into Morel, the quality is great and the pieces are really solid looking. They gave us an 18 pc. min buy in at expo last year per line, so we put in 18 of the OGA's and 18 of the Koali's. We've also brought Etnia into our office for that funkier more colorful feel. They haven't done as well as the morel's though. Those are about as high end as you can go in rural maine though i'm sure there are pricier/more high end frames you could look at!!
    Where did Gucci go? Down South?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    pretty sure the lux monster or marchon gobbled them up, can't remember specifically though!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Safilo got Gucci, Armani will be LUX of course soon.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Marchon/safilo/luxottica ... Any others that are licensed to distribute the high end name brand designer glasses? Thanks again!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I understand, Gucci is headed towards Lux in about a year, at least that is the word on the street. Le Sigh.

As for "High End" what exact do you mean? Recognizable brands? Or actual, well-made product? Those two things aren't mutually exclusive but its important to be clear-eyed about the product you dispense. There are some "high end" lines out there that are chi chi in brand license alone and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I don't want the heartache even if people are requesting it!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by blindboy View Post
    Safilo got Gucci, Armani will be LUX of course soon.
    safilo always had gucci, but theyre not listed on their website anymore

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmm maybe not on ours because we opted out of carrying them last summer?? they weren't selling so we changed them all out ... who knows!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Safilo wanted a 25 piece opening order to "activate" the account. But I applied for an account and was approved months before I "activated" it. I have good luck with my Koali product. What is your definition of high-end?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agree... we need more info on what your definition of "high-end" is... well made or (expensive) brand name ?? Then I am sure you will get ALL (and more) opinions than you can handle!
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    With Safilo, it depends on the brands you want from them. For example if you want Diors, at least in Canada, they take pictures of your place, and have to make sure you have the proper "look" I guess. Then you need to be approved to get the product. There are usually minimun orders. If you want lines like Fossil and Saks 5th the look of you place doesn't matter.
    It will be very sad if Gucci goes to Lux :(

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyecare80 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the board so thanks in advance for any help or advice you provide me with.

Im curious to know what is the best way to get an account with some of the major players like safilo? I want to start carrying high end designer glasses and was wondering if they have any requirements (inventory, order size, etc...). Please let me know if you have any info that may be helpful.

Thanks
    Have you called these so called "High End Designer" companies?

I have found, that these VAMPIRE type companies, are more than willing to sign up dimwitted chumps who do not know any better and have deep enough pockets to back that up with!

Good luck on your search...............you will need it!
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-08-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Duh.......Wining?

Thread Information