Thread: Online eye exams

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Online eye exams

Don't laugh, it's the new frontier in online eye-commerce. Just google "online eye exams" and see the plethora of choices that come up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    my roommate has an app on her iphone that gives you a prescription, hers (which is pretty minor) came out correctly, i trial framed mine (which is a little wonkey) and it was awful haha ... sad stories
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This may be OK for those with minor or simple corrections, but I'm leery of it for most cases. What about astigmatisms, imbalances, convergence issues, etc

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're more likely to get a gun law through than get our government to step-in and stop anything regarding vision online. Guns/people cause harm. No such accepted correlation exists regarding vision.

B

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    You're more likely to get a gun law through than get our government to step-in and stop anything regarding vision online. Guns/people cause harm. No such accepted correlation exists regarding vision.

B
    Until some knucklehead t-bones a van filled with school kids, or a politician's spouse, with their homemade doctorin', fittin', and prison camp eyeglasses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    My understanding is that several cases of proven harm in the U.S. optical arena have gone to court, only to be settled out of court. Once there's a settlement, documents are sealed. Not being able to tangibly proove public harm is one thing that sets the industry back, for example, opticianry's bids for licensing in several states. The political mandate in a sentence is: "to protect public health, safety and welfare". And if there's no proof, there's nada.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlen McLean View Post
    My understanding is that several cases of proven harm in the U.S. optical arena have gone to court, only to be settled out of court. Once there's a settlement, documents are sealed. Not being able to tangibly proove public harm is one thing that sets the industry back, for example, opticianry's bids for licensing in several states. The political mandate in a sentence is: "to protect public health, safety and welfare". And if there's no proof, there's nada.
    Years ago I had a patient who had a slip and fall injury. The patient was wearing a rimless frame with screw posts on the back which were left long intentionally so that she could update the lenses with a higher prescription if she needed. I told her it was not a good idea to leave the screw posts that long and they posed a safety risk. When she came in it was because apparently the screw had broken off in the fall and was imbedded in her eyebrow and the doctors had stitched the wound closed. The foreign object green as it was would not allow the wound to close and puss had formed and was oozing out on a daily basis. Finally the hospital x-rayed the patient and they immediately scheduled her for surgery to remove the screw post and paid for a new set of glasses. I made sure to get a copy of the x-ray and permission to use it when needed.

Yes harm can be done with improperly made eyeglasses, but it's so few and far between that no one would even think to address it, plus it's not sexy enough of a topic to make a law over.
    Last edited by MakeOptics; 02-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Yes harm can be done with improperly made eyeglasses, but it's so few and far between that no one would even think to address it, plus it's not sexy enough of a topic to make a law over.
    That's because up until now, real doctors wrote the Rx, with about a 40% chance of being filled by a certified optician, manufactured by a lab that doesn't employ slave labor, all within easy reach of the U.S. legal system.

The Times They Are a-Changin.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information