Thread: Best lensometer

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best lensometer

What is the best new lensometer out there?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In terms of manual model we use Marco 101. Robust and accurate! Built in prism compensating ring for reading high prism.

http://www.marco.com/lm-101.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, Topcon, which I use as my manual model. But you really also need an automated lensmeter. I like and recently purchased a Huvitz 7000.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, do you find the automated lensometer to be just as accurate as a manual? I've worked with both and have always found the manual to better for me. I also find the manual to pick up imperfections in lenses such as waves and distortion. Thoughts?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
    Barry, do you find the automated lensometer to be just as accurate as a manual? I've worked with both and have always found the manual to better for me. I also find the manual to pick up imperfections in lenses such as waves and distortion. Thoughts?
    you are correct about waves and distortions. but an automated with its abbe value selection and 0.01D precision trumps having just a manual on any day.

you need both.

b

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ditto what Barry said, except I would get a B&L Model 70 even though it would be used.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Also, Topcon, which I use as my manual model. But you really also need an automated lensmeter. I like and recently purchased a Huvitz 7000.

B
    Hey Barry. My Topcon LM-8 focimeter has a few battle scars now and I was thinking of replacing it with a Vitzro LM-9 which appears to be essentially the same machine. The idea of a digital lensmeter has been floated around at my work for a while now but I've heard reports of inaccuracies with them and that manual is better. I've just been looking at the Huvitz HLM7000 and seeing as you have one, would you rely on it solely if you had to? What does it do well and what can't it do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    you are correct about waves and distortions. but an automated with its abbe value selection and 0.01D precision trumps having just a manual on any day.

you need both.

b
    I have yet to ever have a pt detect a 0.01D difference. Not even ever a 0.25D. If I did I would adjust the vertex distance of the glasses.

IMHO I would use manual over automated any day. I feel you will never get your money out of a automated. Most people do not know how to read a progressive with a automated. In their haste they want to just throw progressives in and push a button. WRONG thing to do.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A AO 12603 or a B&L Model 70 used is a better optical instrument then any optical instrument made today. Automatic or electronic instruments are a matter of choice, some good some not so good, service is also sometimes good or not so good. Electronic lensmeters tend to use proprietary components making their service difficult or impossible to be performed by people other then the manufacture. After paying as much over the life for a service contract on some electronic machines as the instrument cost new, you wil get a form letter advising you that in six months the instrument you have owned will no longer be serviced.
    Today the price of electronic parts goes down as the price for the mechinical and optical parts for traditional instruments goes up. Additionally it is faster and therefore less expensive to assemble an electronic instrument. It takes less skill to use an electronic instrument, that appeals to the optical chains and some of your customers are impressed by the latest in technology regsrdless of if it works or not!
    Shamless comercial plug. I manufacture most of the parts to maintain the AO and B&L instruments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good going Howard. Some things just cant be improved on. Like the AO 12603 or B&L 70. But someone spending more time using them will be trained to read that 0.25 and be able to see the axis change on 0.25 cyl. After that they will despise using anything automated.

Or our red yellow and green light system here in the states we use on our highways. Oh and lets not for get the big red and white STOP sign. They just cant be improved on.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    B&l 70 here, it just feels and works like true quality.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thats why the Model 70 is no longer made! There is a clone made by CSO in Italy, I have no experence with that instrument. I do know that getting parts for anything made by CSO is very slow at best.

Occupation
    I've only used a Marco 101, I'm an employee so it isn't a choice, but I'm confident in saying I love the thing. Where I work now they were only using a Topcon CL100. I had the choice of refurbishing either the 101 or a B&L 70 that had been mothballed in the lab, I chose the 101 since I was already familiar with it. I have since tinkered with the two B&L 70s we have. I find them less comfortable and harder to work on, but that's probably just muscle memory.

As far as manual V digital they are both nice to have. I've only used the CL100, its old and doesn't look that nice but seems to work great so long as you use it correctly. I especially like it for higher powers as the 101 only goes up to +/-20D and 5D of Prism (10 if you're clever). They are kinda like bread machines, you have to get the ingredients just right because you can't feel the dough. With the manual you can see whats going on with the optics and feel confident in the quality and clarity of the lenses you're verifying. Both are garbage in garbage out.

TLDR: The one you're comfortable with and use correctly :)
    Last edited by Pogu; 10-11-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Sorry I missed the new part.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PRECISIONLAB View Post
    In terms of manual model we use Marco 101. Robust and accurate! Built in prism compensating ring for reading high prism.

http://www.marco.com/lm-101.html
    Ditto

The new model has a LED light. Does not get hot, and the bulb will last forever. It can also run on 2 D batteries or an AC adapter.

Auto's are nice but, who really needs to go to the hundredth power? Like somebody mentioned, they don't pick up waves or distortions very well. Plus I can't imagine having to remake lenses if they are .03 off power, that's really splitting hairs. Twelfth's are fine. I know it's kinda cool to look at those compensated digital powers but, the human eye can't tell the difference between a -5.00 and a -5.12 let alone a -5.05 and a -5.12. That's my 2 cents! I'm sure there are a few Doctor's/Opticians that will disagree though ;)
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 10-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For quick checks of power like neutralizing glasses for an exam I prefer my auto, we have a Marco LM-600PD (which is great to have for checking horizontal prism in neutralization with just a PD without having to go through the couple of extra minutes of explaining to the patient why I need to dot their pupils prior to their exam), but for full inspections I definitely prefer our Marco 100. But as to patients not noticing <0.25D difference, my new glasses came in 0.18DS under compensated values (in a final rx of -5.25 -1.75 x 72) and I'm losing a line, granted it's 20/20 from 20/15 BCVA, but it's still a line, and I definitely notice in day to day (like working on a nosepad screw).
    Last edited by jpways; 10-11-2013 at 09:49 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    The Marco 101 Lensmeter is one of the best and leading manual lensometers on the market today.

Thread Information