Thread: Digital And Freeform difference

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Digital And Freeform difference

Ive found that the majority of practices do not know the difference between Free-Form and Digital. There is a lab in my area that has taken a conventional lens digitally surfaced them and are raving about it being digital!!! They have raised the price and selling it as digital to offices that don't know much about the market. Its still a conventional mold, the lens is just surfaced differently. I can take an old school image, become a used car salesman put it on the digital generator, raise the price and tell you its a digital lens. Does anyone have any good information website, articles, ect that explain the difference between the two, in which someone with no or little understanding could comprehend??? Thank you!

Joe Colton
    www.acculab.net

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=JC1111;451537]Ive found that the majority of practices do not know the difference between Free-Form and Digital. There is a lab in my area that has taken a conventional lens digitally surfaced them and are raving about it being digital!!! They have raised the price and selling it as digital to offices that don't know much about the market. Its still a conventional mold, the lens is just surfaced differently. I can take an old school image, become a used car salesman put it on the digital generator, raise the price and tell you its a digital lens. Does anyone have any good information website, articles, ect that explain the difference between the two, in which someone with no or little understanding could comprehend??? Thank you!

If you do a search on Optiboard I'm sure you will come up with lots of information as I know we've posted about this in the past.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    There is a thread in the "Progressive Forum" right now that addresses this subject well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Joe,

I am sure that if you worked at it, you could come up with a well written article yourself!

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Im sure I could come up with something however it all comes down marketing.If Essilor says it has to be true!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Joe,

I am sure that if you worked at it, you could come up with a well written article yourself!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Joe, if their digital surfacing includes aspheric/atoric comp's, it is better than traditional surfacing. (at least they aren't saying it's freeform)

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Thanks for the info, They are telling the customers that they are comparable to our free-form lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Joe, if their digital surfacing includes aspheric/atoric comp's, it is better than traditional surfacing. (at least they aren't saying it's freeform)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the Pro's forum we were discussing in the Costco thread about how a digitally surfaced, semi-finished blank usually only comps the distance, and does not enhance the progressive corridor in the back. The reason being, when the corridor is altered back side, problems can develop. Corridors aren't optimally aligned, and other factors can begin to affect the performance.

Don't be afraid to stand up for your product. By explaining what the differences are, and using the help of materials such as the White Paper by our own Darryl Meister, it will show your expertise in the area.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by JC1111 View Post
    Ive found that the majority of practices do not know the difference between Free-Form and Digital. There is a lab in my area that has taken a conventional lens digitally surfaced them and are raving about it being digital!!! They have raised the price and selling it as digital to offices that don't know much about the market. Its still a conventional mold, the lens is just surfaced differently. I can take an old school image, become a used car salesman put it on the digital generator, raise the price and tell you its a digital lens. Does anyone have any good information website, articles, ect that explain the difference between the two, in which someone with no or little understanding could comprehend??? Thank you!

Joe Colton
    www.acculab.net
    As the sales guy shouldn't you know the answer to your question. I keep it simple digitally surfacing a molded pal is going to improve the prescriptions performance but a free form should improve both the prescription and the design based on the prescription. The molded design is set in stone and can only be slightly improved but the free form can be designed to perform optimally based on many different parameters.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    They are telling the customers that they are comparable to our free-form lenses.
    Do you have any large scale patient wearer trials to back up YOUR claims of superiority?
    RT

Thread Information