Thread: When do you mention eyewear warranty?

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

When do you mention eyewear warranty?

When do you typically mention an eyewear warranty? As part of the sale? During dispensing? When the patient returns with a broken/scratched pair?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For me, it depends on the client. For some, I never mention it, although we give a two year, unconditional on ALL frames, regardless of whether they know/ask about it or not.

An example of when I would mention it would be if there was a parent with a special needs child that was concerned about the strength/durability of a product, then I would certainly mention it.

Other times, especially when the price starts going higher than the norm, the customer brings the topic into the conversation. And we do mention it in our advertising. It's a selling point for some, and tells the public that we are comfortable with the products we charge, and will stand behind them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Mentioning the warranty in other time but closing the sale....

(them: "I don't want AR", you: "but our premium AR is not at all like that terrible AR you had from Costco, this better, much more durable, and comes with a 2 yr warranty")

....has the tendency to create the impression your products are not durable or have quality. Only mention the product warranty to gain a sale or if they ask. If they have not chosen a specific frame or AR, be vague. RX change warranty should be included with their printed paperwork.

I only offered a 1 yr warranty even a two year product. I hated when people came in in 23 months to get their lenses replaced, intentionally holding on the last minute. As well, if you tell them 2 yrs, they will thrash the lenses and not take care of them. There were many times I offered to "extend" their 1 yr warranty as one time courtesy, because nothing sucks worse than having something break 2 days after the warranty expires.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 02-01-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell them right up front - The frame has a (insert time limit according to brand), and the same with lenses and add-ons like AR etc. The warranty policy also prints out on the patient's receipt. If it's an insurance company, i.e. Davis, VSP, etc. we refer them to the insurance companies' policy regarding warranties. That separates us a bit from the insurance. It is so tough to be the "face" for an insurance company when warranty issues happen, and their policy is different from our own in-house policy.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have a hard rule on when I mention the warranty. It depends on the customer, the frame, how the sale is going and/or their concerns at any particular time. We also have a money back guarantee which I almost never mention unless I am asked. I find I have a lot less non-adapts and buyer's remorse remakes than the dispensors that mention it at every sale.

Thread Information