Thread: What would you do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What would you do?

I interviewed for a job I really want. I think the pay is going to be about what I make now maybe a bit more and the benefits will be better as will the hours and the work environment. I also interviewed for a management position with the company I work for now. I don't really want it but if I stay with my current job I think I need to be the one running things. I am tired of seeing things run poorly.I just really don't want to work for them any more. I did not tell my current employer about the other interview because I think it would have hurt my chances of getting promoted if I didn't get it . The place I want to work takes forever to hire people. I don't know why. Would I be horrible to take the manager position and then quit? I would put in my two weeks notice of course. I think that would not be the right thing to be but in the long run will it really matter? Shouldn't I work for who I want to work for? I think it would make some people mad but at the end of the day it is nothing personal it is all just business. I am also sure they would just fire me instead of taking my two weeks and I think I am okay with that.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Apply for both. If you're accepted for both positions, take the one you want the most. And, remember, you won't really be running much of anything as a manager in a box-mart. You'll just be the glorified babysitter and scapegoat for your store when it doesn't meet its numbers. If you get the chance to work outside of a chain, do it.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Would I be horrible to take the manager position and then quit?.
    Not at all, it happens. If you don't get the other job the managment position is where you want to be right? Even if you are offered and accept the other job a week after you can simply express your regrets and tell them you really couldn't pass it up. And just to be clear once you quit they can't fire you. They can only ask you to leave early.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In today's economy/workplace............the shotgun approach works best. I agree with Wes's observations, with cocoisland, and your observation, about being able to work for whoever you wish to work for. In the long term, advancement to management position will look good on your resume, albeit briefly.
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information