Thread: New Prescription Created Floaters/Halos/Starburst

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

New Prescription Created Floaters/Halos/Starburst

Up until my glasses prescription change in 12/10/10, I was seeing just fine. No previous issues. 2 months after wearing the new glasses, I began having horrible floaters, fogginess, halos, extended impressions, and starbursts. I had always been somewhat light sensitive but now it is much more extreme. All the symptoms are occurring in both eyes (but slightly worse in the left). The symptoms are here during the day and night and especially visible around LED lights, whether I have my glasses on or not. I went to see 3 ophthalmologists, all of whom told me that my eyes looked fine (no mac degen, no tearing, no flashes). But they are not fine! So I've been living with this for 2 years+ now hoping the "floaters/halos will subside", as they told me. And they haven’t so I'm revisiting this again and started by comparing my glasses prescriptions. Thankfully, none of the symptoms have become worse since their initial appearance.

The old set of frames were 51 | 18, the new set is 52 | 18. The frames were chosen purely on style and are rectangle shaped. Both sets of glasses were hi-index 1.67. Both sets were made VisionWorks.

My prescriptions were done by the same optometrist. She is reputable. Here they are:

12/13/06
    OD: -5.25 -2.25 90

12/10/11
    OD: -6.00 -2.25 92

I did notice that the base curve changed with the new prescription. I also immediately noticed on the new glasses the level of distortion was great outside the optical center. Surprisingly, so. I thought it was a bit unusual how the clerk at VisionWorks measured the optical center. She just took a pen and marked where my pupil would be in the center of the lens. We didn’t really work too hard on a comfortable fit either, so I’m certain we adjusted them up or down after they came into the shop (thus moving the optical center).

Anyway, I’m open to your thoughts on how proceed. This seems like a reputable community here, and I welcome your input.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    See a different eye care professional.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nysky1 View Post
    Up until my glasses prescription change in 12/10/10, I was seeing just fine. No previous issues. 2 months after wearing the new glasses, I began having horrible floaters, fogginess, halos, extended impressions, and starbursts. I had always been somewhat light sensitive but now it is much more extreme. All the symptoms are occurring in both eyes (but slightly worse in the left). The symptoms are here during the day and night and especially visible around LED lights, whether I have my glasses on or not. I went to see 3 ophthalmologists, all of whom told me that my eyes looked fine (no mac degen, no tearing, no flashes). But they are not fine! So I've been living with this for 2 years+ now hoping the "floaters/halos will subside", as they told me. And they haven’t so I'm revisiting this again and started by comparing my glasses prescriptions. Thankfully, none of the symptoms have become worse since their initial appearance.

The old set of frames were 51 | 18, the new set is 52 | 18. The frames were chosen purely on style and are rectangle shaped. Both sets of glasses were hi-index 1.67. Both sets were made VisionWorks.

My prescriptions were done by the same optometrist. She is reputable. Here they are:

12/13/06
    OD: -5.25 -2.25 90

12/10/11
    OD: -6.00 -2.25 92

I did notice that the base curve changed with the new prescription. I also immediately noticed on the new glasses the level of distortion was great outside the optical center. Surprisingly, so. I thought it was a bit unusual how the clerk at VisionWorks measured the optical center. She just took a pen and marked where my pupil would be in the center of the lens. We didn’t really work too hard on a comfortable fit either, so I’m certain we adjusted them up or down after they came into the shop (thus moving the optical center).

Anyway, I’m open to your thoughts on how proceed. This seems like a reputable community here, and I welcome your input.
    Please follow the posting guidelines. This is something we cannot and will not answer. The post needs to be closed.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Thread Information