Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big FF Lab in Canada on the block .................................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Big FF Lab in Canada on the block .................................................

The newly designed manufacturing facility built in late 2012 is able to produce a large variety of lens designs from single vision to advanced progressive lenses. The facility employs primarily German engineered equipment to operate the lens cycle fabrication and produces custom digital lenses using Free-Form Technology. These lenses are available in a wide variety of materials ,

For more detailed information about this opportunity------------>
    <link to confidential document removed>
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    hmmm.....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The newly designed manufacturing facility built in late 2012 is able to produce a large variety of lens designs from single vision to advanced progressive lenses. The facility employs primarily German engineered equipment to operate the lens cycle fabrication and produces custom digital lenses using Free-Form Technology. These lenses are available in a wide variety of materials ,

For more detailed information about this opportunity <link to confidential document removed>
    Somebody's head must also be on the chopping block. Or perhaps it was staged for a quick flip? Helloooooo Charenton-le-Pont France, anybody out there??

Occupation

Blue Jumper Who knows, but we will shortly.............................

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post

Somebody's head must also be on the chopping block. Or perhaps it was staged for a quick flip? Helloooooo Charenton-le-Pont France, anybody out there??

I don' t think that "Helloooooo Charenton-le-Pont France" is interested as there are no customers. However I assume that some heavy Quebec government grant money was used to set it up, right outside of Montreal or it would have been in Toronto.

If it does not sell fast and go into production it might go for a song, and we might have to worry that an on-liner like "Coastal" might pick it up to get more capacity, or have a foothold on the east side of the continent.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're closing up that fast? I just contacted them a couple months ago and was scared away by the high prices.

Occupation
    Does anyone have an idea about the asking price?? It would be a hoot if a group of OBers banded together and bought it to produce their own lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Does anyone have an idea about the asking price?? It would be a hoot if a group of OBers banded together and bought it to produce their own lenses.
    Do you realize how silly your post is? Think about it.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Why do you think it's silly??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do you think it's silly??
    I believe it to be a bit far reaching to think that Optiboarders have either access to that kind of cash or financing.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Lab is outside of Montreal............................

I have done a little search on an interesting theme.

1) OCULAB, the lab is listed on their website at a Toronto address http://rpowe2.wix.com/new-eng-oculab#!contact/c2q4

2) the actual location is in Laval QC, adjoining Montreal, 340 miles east of Toronto.

My theory is the lab was installed in that location because of the agressive way the Quebec Government helps financing
    large and expensive industrial projects within the province by loan guarantees and others (http://www.investquebec.com/en/index...3&sec=10&pro=3 ) to help startups or re-finance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I believe it to be a bit far reaching to think that Optiboarders have either access to that kind of cash or financing.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Please don't speak on my behalf or others on this board who could make this happen. Some of us thrive on doing what others would not expect.

Occupation

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    +1

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Please don't speak on my behalf or others on this board who could make this happen. Some of us thrive on doing what others would not expect.
    Most OB'ers can't even agree on these forums - to fathom the thought of banding together in a multi million dollar cooperative lab venture is absolutely hysterical.

Occupation

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please forgive him , he probably doesn't believe our government would finance bankrupt companies like GM & Chrysler and in so doing penalize good financial management companies like FORD and TOYOTA.

Surely a renegade bunch of optiboarders would qualify for full funding for this project .

An accent is an accent, the Americans will fit right in! LOL

Occupation
    Many Americans have made vast fortunes by doing things like this. The more unexpected the better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Craig when you put the deal together I will be the first to congratulate you.
    Geographically though wouldn't you think that Quebec is a bit out of your way?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation

Redhot Jumper get cracking and drum up some support ...................................

So you OB guys and girls get cracking and drum up some support in the General Forum and pledge full support, signed on black and white.

The Quebec Government might just go along and guarantee the loans to do it.

Occupation
    I'm in if it can be arranged. I'm definitely not above getting my hands dirty while doing it.

It wouldn't be hard at all to come up with a saleable business plan
    Last edited by Jacqui; 01-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Occupation
    Well Craig when you put the deal together I will be the first to congratulate you.
    Geographically though wouldn't you think that Quebec is a bit out of your way?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Let's see, there is phone, FAX, internet for sending orders. UPS, Fedex, DHL, Canada Post for shipping. I don't see why the location is a big issue

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's see, there is phone, FAX, internet for sending orders. UPS, Fedex, DHL, Canada Post for shipping. I don't see why the location is a big issue
    Jacqui;

Unless Craig is a Donald Trump type and has alot of minions that work for him keeping tabs on his vast business holdings throughout the world, I thought that Craig would want to be closer to his investment since the total price tag would be in the millions of dollars. How much personal money do you have to invest in this venture?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well now did he follow the link and read the advertisement ?

Please forgive him, it does not sound like he has been to a firesale auction, either.

I believe there was some wording about it not being necesssary to purchase the buildings and real estate and that the assets of equipment could be separated from the land and building .

I do recall from previous fire sales being able to purchase assets for a dime on the dollar and obtain financing as well .

There is a saying: "Your loss is my gain "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Well now did he follow the link and read the advertisement ?

Please forgive him, it does not sound like he has been to a firesale auction, either.

I believe there was some wording about it not being necesssary to purchase the buildings and real estate and that the assets of equipment could be separated from the land and building .

I do recall from previous fire sales being able to purchase assets for a dime on the dollar and obtain financing as well .

There is a saying: "Your loss is my gain "
    Idispense;

Do you honestly think that a brand new lab completed late last year will sell for ten cents on the dollar?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It may not happen in this case but these things do happen and often, so yes I do believe it can happen. I do know the details of one place that invested in all new equipment and buildings and had to auction them off less than a year later. Two months before they closed they installed $ 50,000.00 of brand new equipment that sold for $ 800.00 .

Do you honestly believe that governments get value for their financing dollars and escapades on a normal up front basis?

Why would you believe it would be worth anything like what they paid ?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    It may not happen in this case but these things do happen and often, so yes I do believe it can happen. I do know the details of one place that invested in all new equipment and buildings and had to auction them off less than a year later. Two months before they closed they installed $ 50,000.00 of brand new equipment that sold for $ 800.00 .

Do you honestly believe that governments get value for their financing dollars and escapades on a normal up front basis?

Why would you believe it would be worth anything like what they paid ?
    This is absolute rhetoric and is hysterical at the same time. The lab is privately owned with family money; the Quebec workforce is chalk full of politics and unionization. I'm sure all the family wants to do is get their funds back out of it. With no customers and a crop of unskilled overpaid unionized workers and too many provincial rules, this is already an absolute disaster.

Good luck and may the force be with you!!!!

Thread Information