Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!

During a discussion about what type of material her husbands lenses were, the wife picks up the frame, a very old and GREEN metal rotting gross thing, and LICKS the lens.

I'm expecting to have a conclusion to her argument that they were in fact glass, as opposed to the plastic I knew they were, but she simply sat there and was quiet.

I on the other hand tried not to show them the weight watcher's approved breakfast I had enjoyed earlier in the day.

Grossest. Thing. Ever.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am suprised you kept your breakfast down!
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post

Grossest. Thing. Ever.

Was it grosser than when that nasty temple flew in your mouth?

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-a-saggy-chest

I am ready to hurl!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thanks to you guys for the morning hurler.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    "Clean up in Dispensing Room"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recently had an RGP patient who complained and wanted free replacement lenses because the lens chipped when she put it in her mouth to clean it. Not as gross, to be sure, but still very strange.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Was it grosser than when that nasty temple flew in your mouth?

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-a-saggy-chest

I am ready to hurl!

That's a great question. I'm not sure which was worse. I had to look at her saliva on this guys lenses for the duration of the sale, so today it feels grosser. But given the chance to have a shmega laden temple tip go into my mouth, I'm thinking I'll take patient spiddle every time.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Grossest. Thing. Ever.
    Really gross, that's for sure. But the "grossest ever" title is held by "Babs Johnson" (Divine), and has held that title since 1972, through his death in 1988, and probably until all of the matter in the universe decays into iron.

Second place goes to Mr. Creosote.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Really gross, that's for sure. But the "grossest ever" title is held by "Babs Johnson" (Divine), and has held that title since 1972, through his death in 1988, and probably until all of the matter in the universe decays into iron.
    Grossest. Movie. Ever., except maybe for the Human Centipedes

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back in the 80's I had a very nice elderly patient that would come in for adjustments. Before she would give you her glasses she would insist on cleaning them herself. She would stick out her 176 year old tongue and lick them like a lolly pop and wipe them with her scarf. Needless to say, nobody wanted to help her in fact, if any of the opticians saw her coming in they would head straight for the breakroom...

But one of my favorites was around the same time. This guy comes in to replace a missing nose pad. One of my new hires got him. She brings his glasses in the back to work on them... " Oh my God these glasses are filthy!" And she proceeds to take them apart and clean them with a brush, the whole time say things like, "Eww" and several more " My God"s and " You would think he cleaned his toilet with these.." Turns out, she wasn't far from wrong. He was a sewer worker and said his glasses constantly fell off into the "muck". When he told her that I thought she was going to pass out. I run into this optician occasionally and never fail to remind her of him. She still doesn't think it was funny. ( Boy, I do!)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Grossest. Movie. Ever., except maybe for the Human Centipedes
    But the Human Centipede movie was fake!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    During a discussion about what type of material her husbands lenses were, the wife picks up the frame, a very old and GREEN metal rotting gross thing, and LICKS the lens.
    That's disgusting!! I just had a patient come in who wanted me to "fix her nosepad that wouldn't stay in place." Turns our she had lost the nosepad screw and instead of just going without the nosepad, she put chewed up gum on it to hold it in place! That means that I then got the pleasure of cleaning out her chewing gum from the nosepad arm. Sick!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NUECoptical View Post
    Turns our she had lost the nosepad screw and instead of just going without the nosepad, she put chewed up gum on it to hold it in place!
    Ok but it's still better than superglue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm expecting to have a conclusion to her argument that they were in fact glass, as opposed to the plastic I knew they were, but she simply sat there and was quiet.

I on the other hand tried not to show them the weight watcher's approved breakfast I had enjoyed earlier in the day.

Grossest. Thing. Ever.
    Is this the same as a cowlick! done by a mother to a child with hat hair!

@optilady1:
    Well.......demonstrating that they "taste different if they were made of plastic"

This is why lab trays were invented..............for people to deposit eyeglasses in. ("No, your denturist is down the hall, ma'am")
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK - patient comes in and says "my wife says my glasses are dirty and smell bad." I take a look - nose pads and pad arms are totally green. Lenses are light brown. Eyewires are jammed up with gunk. I put the whole sheebang in the ultrasonic cleaner. Nose pads fall off (screws were gone...all held together by nose jam). The odor in the lab is of stale tobacco. The lenses lighten up to about a brown 10%. I get a toothbrush and clean up the rest of this mess, and put it back together, complete with sparkling new nose pads. I bring it out to the patient - he says "what'd you do? These ain't MY glasses!"
    He refused to take them until his wife came in to confirm that they were, in fact, his glasses.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nanook* used to lick the whale bone before making an igloo. It kept the snow from sticking.

Perhaps this is an anti fog technique!

*(From the movie Nanook of the North- back in its day a must see educational film for adolescent boys.)

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Nanook* used to lick the whale bone before making an igloo. It kept the snow from sticking.

Perhaps this is an anti fog technique!

*(From the movie Nanook of the North- back in its day a must see educational film for adolescent boys.)
    Well, divers *DO* spit in their masks before diving to stop fogging...must be something to it

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I just lost a few pounds.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    OK - patient comes in and says "my wife says my glasses are dirty and smell bad." I take a look - nose pads and pad arms are totally green. Lenses are light brown. Eyewires are jammed up with gunk. I put the whole sheebang in the ultrasonic cleaner. Nose pads fall off (screws were gone...all held together by nose jam). The odor in the lab is of stale tobacco. The lenses lighten up to about a brown 10%. I get a toothbrush and clean up the rest of this mess, and put it back together, complete with sparkling new nose pads. I bring it out to the patient - he says "what'd you do? These ain't MY glasses!"
    He refused to take them until his wife came in to confirm that they were, in fact, his glasses.
    I had almost the exact same thing happen! Glasses were dark with stinky-face-funk, so I gave them the works. When I handed them back, he also claimed they weren't his. "My glasses were brown not silver! I lost my silver pair some time last year."

After explaining that I cleaned them and he can stop in anytime for a free cleaning, I wondered to myself, where did he think the brown frames came from? The filthy eyeglass fairy?
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I used to visit retirement/nursing homes to help folks with their eyewear (repair, fitting, etc.). My "favorite" was the fella who had food on his glasses. Behind his ear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really wish I hadn't read this thread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhh! Now I have a contact lens licker! Why didn't I go into a less gross field, like proctology?!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    reading this thread made me feel ill
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Optilady, don't you already feel like you deal with a$$holes everyday, anyway ? What's the difference between figurative and literal ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've seen some nasty things in my day. But the worst had to be when a patient came in with filthy, I mean FILTHY, glasses and wanted them cleaned. Somehow, I became Cinderella and I have nothing better to do than clean your disgusting glasses, that you did not purchase here. Suprise, suprise. So, I take the nasty glasses into the lab to clean. I saw that the nosepads needed replacement. When removing the nosepad, there was so much nose goo built up inside the silicone, it exploded on me! How Gross! I just about tossed my cookies on the counter. EW!

Thread Information