Thread: Dealing With Unhappy Clients

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Dealing With Unhappy Clients

Hello

I just wanted some feedback on how everyone here deals with unhappy clients while there are other potential clients in the store or patients just picking up their eye glasses.

Do you take them and seat them in the back away from the front or take them outside the store. I know when someone has a complaint other customers expand their ears to listen on.

Sometimes this can be a very tough situation and you have to be very careful what you say because potential buyers might loose confidence in you even though it maybe just a picky or aggressive customer.

Your thoughts

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a sound proof room with a sign on the door 'complaint department'............... ;>

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should try to take them aside so you can discuss things privately but if you can't you just allow the other customers to witness you putting the customer at ease and fixing the problem.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is possible to grace the customer with privacy, do so. If it is not, such in a mall environment, or end-or-checkout line optical..................then listen. Listen harder! Repeat back everything said, and write it down. Speak your truth distinctly, and carefully, and ask for understanding. If understanding is not forthcoming....Find privacy, for the sake of the customer's dignity.......and get messy!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ok, ok, ok

For starters, don't repeat everything the customer just complained to you about their glasses. I mean really ??? In case everybody in your office didn't just hear it the first time let's repeat it!!!! I don't think so!!! The first thing you do is assure your customer that you are going to make some minor adjustments and reassure your customer that whatever their concern is that you are going to effectively handle it and they are going to have good success with their new glasses. Focus on being positive and always set the tone as in putting a smile on your face and demonstrating confidence even when they are angry, upset you remain positive and in control. Kill them with kindness and do your best!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most of the time, they just want somebody to sincerely listen to them and then offer a solution. I usually will sit them at a desk and have them tell me everything..."guts and all." I then offer a reasonable solution to whatever their problem may be...Nine times out of ten, depending on the situation of course, it will be resolved fairly smoothly. The key is leaving your ego at the door and not taking any of it personally...Perhaps more importantly, like Mark said, "Kill them with Kindness."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In my experience, most of the time when someone is angry, it's just because they're being unreasonable; it's most often when a problem has occurred that there is no immediate solution to, or when they can't see as well as they would like and they don't accept your explanation and your attempt to resolve it. Hence they are very difficult to reason with.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

rule #2 Never blame the customer!

Those who blame the customer simply can't or don't put forth the effort in making them happy. You should always compare the old glasses with the new. Checking simple things like pd, base curve, material type, face form, prism, seg ht ext.. This is really not rocket science. If you will use the old glasses as the map to the treasure chest you will have all the information you need to satisfy your patient. If the doc changed the axis more than ten degrees you have an axis issue. Send them back to the doc and make a note for the doc. If he gives them more than one diopter of plus unless they have cataracts you may have a rx problem. After you have checked the old glasses against the new and the pd's are correct, base curve, seg ht, face form ect. You get the idea then only then send them back for rx check. Never ever take a new pd if they are wearing old glasses! I don't care if It's not correct! It won't be right for the patient! Give them what they are used to! If your doc doesn't make rx change and all else fails. You put them back in their old rx!!! Yes, its legal and there are some docs who are never wrong and optically the glasses are correct and right in every way but the patient can't see. Real simple. They are a non adapt to new rx and you just put them back in their old rx. I realize you can't make every customer happy. Rise above blaming the customer and work on becoming a better professional. :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow. Can't get behind the rules thing. Each of my patients is different and expects different things. Treat people with some respect and be genuine. You can't fix some situations. But you will fix the vast majority if you can communicate well - the rest is how well you know your profession. Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Saying that the patient is never wrong is like saying we as opticians are never wrong. There will never be one way to diffuse situations because folks are all different. Many times their complaints are legitimate, others, they're ridiculous. I've been yelled at on more than one occasion in front of a full house, and most of the time when the offending/offended patient leaves the remaining patients express their opinions of distaste for the way the patient handled the situation.

That being said, I have always appologized for whatever the ranting is about, I try to have sympathy (or at least a sympathetic tone in my voice) for the issue at hand, and if in MY power, I try to fix it. Sometimes these people want the moon and I'm like, uhh, do I look like I can deliver? I am but a mere mortal optician....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheeyeguy View Post
    Those who blame the customer simply can't or don't put forth the effort in making them happy. You should always compare the old glasses with the new. Checking simple things like pd, base curve, material type, face form, prism, seg ht ext.. This is really not rocket science. :)
    Really, really respectfully disagree. When you have as much experience as some of us here have (40+ years), you learn that some situations *are* the client's fault, and are NOT solvable by the opitcian...at least not to these client's satisfaction.

And, when you do satisfy the overwhleming majority of your clients, it *is* a skill set akin to rocket science. I dare any rocket scientist to sit in our chair and manage what we do everyday.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheeyeguy View Post
    If the doc changed the axis more than ten degrees you have an axis issue. Send them back to the doc and make a note for the doc. If he gives them more than one diopter of plus unless they have cataracts you may have a rx problem.
    I would really like to have my OD see this. We have had this conversation many times and he is a known Plus Pusher and hates doing re-checks. He will frequently change it maybe only 1/4 diopter or 2 degrees at the re-check. I've heard him say, "You read 20/20 with this rx. The rx is not the problem. The glasses are the problem."

Doesn't really set the optician/patient relationship on the best foot when I've matched everything to the T and all that's left to change is the rx, and the OD says the exact opposite. Patient assumes I'm being dishonest or trying to sell them bad product. Hard to come back from that one and earn patient's respect/trust.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I've been yelled at on more than one occasion in front of a full house, and most of the time when the offending/offended patient leaves the remaining patients express their opinions of distaste for the way the patient handled the situation.
    Having other people come up after you've been hollered at and express sympathy...ranks right up there with chocolate cake as a favorite thing. I even had one elderly gentleman get in the middle and remind the hollerer that he was speaking to a lady. In some ways, I love the South.

Ok, you've got a screamer showing his rear end to a store full of customers. First of all, they come in thinking they are first in line. They are not. The people you were serving were there first. It's very challenging to maintain your calm when you've got a problem customer tapping his foot at the counter, but I've learned not to let them control my mood. When it's their turn, I offer them a seat and speak to them slowly and quietly. They usually calm down. If they don't calm down, I'll get on the PA and say "security to optical please, security to optical." Which is kind of funny because we don't have a security person. The irate customer doesn't stick around long enough to find out.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When all else fails, I have found the following to be very useful:

"Hello! ACME Annoying Client Removal Service?
    Yes, I have an annoying and unhappy client that I would like removed right away. How much will that cost?

...$525.00...?

No Problem. I'm writing out the check now."

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a time and a place...to fire a client. Prudent and judicial use is both wise and kind to your respectable clients. No, it should not happen often, but when it does, keep it short, to the point, and it really really is perfectly OK to put your foot down sometimes.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If a patient is having an issue, I have no problem dealing with it right there in front of the whole world. Other patients are looking to see how you resolve the issue. It will work in your favor if you handle it in a professional manner.

If someone's being an idiot, you are not the only person in the room with the same opinion of them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan barber View Post
    Most of the time, they just want somebody to sincerely listen to them and then offer a solution. I usually will sit them at a desk and have them tell me everything..."guts and all." I then offer a reasonable solution to whatever their problem may be...Nine times out of ten, depending on the situation of course, it will be resolved fairly smoothly. The key is leaving your ego at the door and not taking any of it personally...Perhaps more importantly, like Mark said, "Kill them with Kindness."
    I agree completely. Often they just want someone, anyone, to pay attention to them.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Excellent advice on this thread regarding this matter. Whether we like it or not we are put in this situation from time to time.

It's good to have feedback on what opti boarders would do in this situation.

Staying cool, positive and attentive a long with realistic solutions is key. A smile and hand shake goes a long way as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    If a patient is having an issue, I have no problem dealing with it right there in front of the whole world. Other patients are looking to see how you resolve the issue. It will work in your favor if you handle it in a professional manner.

If someone's being an idiot, you are not the only person in the room with the same opinion of them.
    Absolutely true.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It depends on the "anger meter" of the client & how many times they've come in with (angry) problems. If they're too verbally abusive and are disturbing other clients, it may be best to simply refund their $ and ask them to not return.

Thread Information