Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legal/Ethical Question concerning Optometrist

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    John and Chris, I think you both might be a little confused. Jason was not the original thread starter. He is merely comparing his own situation.
    A LITTLE confused???? I'm WAY confused...and you're correct! I jumped posts and got everything messed up! Thanks for straightening me up!

In my defense, Mike's post still has me flustered, and besides misspeaking/posting here, I've also run 3 red lights. driven through two house, and mis-guess 4 seg-hts.!!

I'm on a roll!!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PRS Guy View Post
    I will keep this as generic as possible and will keep names confidential. Last year the Optometrist I work for had a head injury and suffered a stroke.The Doctor has had plenty of ups and downs. Recently he has made some improvement but still has a long way to go...the doctor and his wife are in denial; They think he's ready to come back and see patients--but there is some damage there. Memory, math and numbers as well as other "deficits". Here's my question...what is my responsibilty as well as other Optometrists responsibilty? I don't want to report him to the State Board and I can't just quit my job. I feel its not fair to the patients as well as to the staff for him to continue to practice. OK, so what would my fellow ECP's do in this situation??What are your thoughts? Thanks to all for their opinions.
    @PRS Guy:

I am sorry to hear that your employer had a head injury, and a subsequent stroke. May his long recovery be fruitful, and effective.

My opinion is:

You must let all entities; medical, motor vehicle, insurer, state board's, family, management........................ to run it's course.

If your employer, is indeed incapable of practice, it will happen without your intervention.

Your responsibility is to your employer. Other optometrists have the ethical ball to roll, not you.

The Dr. and his wife, aren't in denial......they are merely optomistic, enthusiastic, and probably fearful, financially, and mentally exhausted. They really don't need you to be standing on the sidelines, now! They are probably worried about your reaction.

Your feelings about fairness only count in items pertaining to how you are capable of doing your job on the team. Do it!

But..........remember the mantra: "Do no harm!"

Medical miracles happen every day! Be a part of one!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    A LITTLE confused???? I'm WAY confused...and you're correct! I jumped posts and got everything messed up! Thanks for straightening me up!

In my defense, Mike's post still has me flustered, and besides misspeaking/posting here, I've also run 3 red lights. driven through two house, and mis-guess 4 seg-hts.!!

I'm on a roll!!

So.....Just another average day?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    So.....Just another average day?
    Wait until tomorrow!!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not an optometrist, just an independant optician.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

well spoken

@uncut, I agree. Very well spoken. Medical miracles do happen everyday.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    @PRS Guy:

I am sorry to hear that your employer had a head injury, and a subsequent stroke. May his long recovery be fruitful, and effective.

My opinion is:

You must let all entities; medical, motor vehicle, insurer, state board's, family, management........................ to run it's course.

If your employer, is indeed incapable of practice, it will happen without your intervention.

Your responsibility is to your employer. Other optometrists have the ethical ball to roll, not you.

The Dr. and his wife, aren't in denial......they are merely optomistic, enthusiastic, and probably fearful, financially, and mentally exhausted. They really don't need you to be standing on the sidelines, now! They are probably worried about your reaction.

Your feelings about fairness only count in items pertaining to how you are capable of doing your job on the team. Do it!

But..........remember the mantra: "Do no harm!"

Medical miracles happen every day! Be a part of one!
    Perfect answer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A little tear-jerking tidbit of humanity......just for icing on the cake. This link is to a Today show story going viral as of today;

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...er-stroke?lite

Enjoy!
    Eyes wide open

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

I'm on a roll!!
    Dang, I'm good. I've got Johns so flustered that there is now a loss of coherency.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank You all for your opinions. They seem to represent both sides. To help understand the situation, let me add some info. The Dr. Has Not received the ok from his Doctors to return to his practice/ work. He has dismissed several Dr.'s( Internal Medicine and Psychiatrist)--if they say something he doesn't like, they don't know what they're doing and he goes to a different Doctor. I believe uncut summed it up perfectly. It's a very strange position to be in...only time will tell.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Dang, I'm good. I've got Johns so flustered that there is now a loss of coherency.
    I'm still giggling over this...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    If there are other OD's in the practice it would be their place to make the decision on the imparement of the poor old boy and what action should be taken. There really is no compelling reason for you to intervene. If he is the sole OD then there is still no compelling reason for you to intervene. Just cover for him as best you can, let nature take it's course and update your resume.
    Went through a similar situation, the Dr made a full recovery, but work was better for him than sitting at home. RBaker is right, punt. But what you can do is hire a very competant Opthalmic Tech (COT) who is used to working for because in most cases a bad OD is a better refractor than a good MD on most days. He or She can help the Dr in the exam room effectively.

Thread Information