Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Urban mythology contributes.........this designates a upper quality intelligence, since energy is not wasted on hair growth, but brain cell growth!
    @Uncut, He would tell you this is all too true! Hahaha!

So, on the subject of invading personal space, the other week I was adjusting a woman's glasses when her husband picked up some of my tools and started to work on his. I grabbed the tool out of his hand with a big ole sweet grin and said, "Sir, I'd be more than happy to help you next!" He started to fuss a little so I told him point blank to please respect my work space. Again with that big sweet smile, a southern drawl, and a little eyelash batting.

Momma don't play 'round.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What drives me crazy is when you spend about an hour or more explaining how the lenses work, pricing and selecting a frame... you are about to write up the order and they say, "I'll think about it." Soon after, you get a phone call harrassing your front desk girl to go get the frame name and measurements from the lab without telling me. The front desk girl says she can't help them because she doesn't even know what a frame name is. A few weeks later, the patient comes in with a pair they purchased at a chain, and they want you to find out why the glasses aren't working. Of course, they won't go back to the chain, because they never made a mistake before.

First: You wasted my time and didn't purchase here.
    Second: You harrassed my poor co-worker and went behind my back
    Third: You went elsewhere because it's cheaper and you got what you paid for.
    Fourth: You throw the glasses in my face and brag that you found them cheaper elsewhere. Now, you want me to troubleshoot, waste my time AGAIN and give you an RX check at no charge. Because they measured your split seg wrong and gave you a no-name junky progressive lens that should've been a short corridor but wasn't.

You re-check their RX just to make sure there is not a change. Turns out the patient is a "lap reader" and didn't tell the refractionist. So, we write out a new RX and send the patient on their way.

Two months later patient comes in again complaining her glasses still aren't working. I troubleshoot yet again, and guess what. The patient never took the new RX to get it changed, but she swears she did. OMG.

Any of you deal with this too? Sometimes, I feel like it's just my patients...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    those are the patients that i say, in the nicest way possible, "well ma'am, they don't work because you bought cheap lenses." obviously not that direct, but unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do about htem buying crappy product *shrug* "i would be more than happy to replace those lenses with our premium progressive" big smile. get some cash money out of it anyway some days i wish i could just tell people to go float!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Good approach/solution, opty4062. I've actually handed some smart alecks my pliers and said, "here ya go, it's all yours." They hold up their hands in refusal and back away. Point made.

Thread Information