Thread: Vision-related Quality Of Life

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vision-related Quality Of Life

[See news articles:
    Clinical Research Explores Vision-Related Quality Of Life
    Editorial Background: Clinical Research For Patients Wearing Photochromic Lenses
    ]

If I might ask, what prompted Transitions to provide a grant for a study on how visual comfort enhances a person's quality of life?

We discussed this very same issue a while back on OptiBoard in regards to what insurance companies cover not only in terms of eyewear but hearing aids and other such devices. The study is dead on. We may not think about our vision until it is compromised but eyewear, expecially lenses, can make our day to day experiences much more pleasant. Photochromics, polarization, anti-reflective coatings and lightweight lenses can all make a big difference in the life of someone who wears glasses, especially if that person wears their glasses all day long. The benefits may only be noticed in the little things like not squinting when you walk out of a store into a parking lot, not having to switch night & day mirrors or adjust side view mirrors while driving at night, not squinting on foggy or hazy days and not having to swing car visors down while you are driving on a sunny day but the benefits are there. Even specialty frames can help. Take sport glasses for example. Wouldn't it be nice if a baseball catcher or football player could wear glasses under a helmut and not have to go to an optical after every game for adjustments because their frames are all bent out of shape?

We have all probably worn something uncomfortable at some point in our lives. Whether that item be shoes, clothing or eyewear we know that wearing something uncomfortable can make a person irritable and fatigued.

I am not surprised folks were so pleased with Transitions' performance. I agree; they do make a big difference that you might not realize until you wear them. I went on vacation with mine and was surprised to find out that they made a big difference on how much I enjoyed my time away. I was in and out of museums that required bag checks everytime you entered the buildings. It was nice to have a pair of lenses that were nice and dark outdoors and turned clear so quickly when entering the darkened buildings without having to jugle eyeglasses and cases at the same time I was going through the bag checks. Transitions made enough of a difference that their benefit was noticable. Do they get dark in a car? No, however, one pair of glasses won't always fix everything. It is a matter of getting the best performance out of each pair. I don't wear my dress shoes to go hiking in the woods. I also don't wear an evening dress to go to the beach. Why would eyeglasses which I wear all day everyday be any different? I think we all seek to obtain the same response from our patients; we want them to come back to us next time and tell us the the glasses we fit them with improved their quality of life.

This study reinforces the need to ask lifestyle questions regarding what folks do anytime their glasses are on. This includes work, hobbies including doing alot of reading, recreation and sports, the amount of time they spend driving in their car, and what they don't like about their current eyewear. The lens and frame technology that is on the market today didn't appear out of the blue. It was designed around the needs of people who wear eyewear and we should do our best to recommend the best combinations to our patients.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Well Stated (as usual), Jo!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think the latest generation of Transition lenses represents a Quantum (pun intended) leap in plastic photochromic technology. For the first time in a decade, I've ordered a pair of photochromics for my own eyewear.

Just out of curiosity, however, I wonder if the survey also included a group of patients with a pair of clear and a pair of polarized lenses- to determine the visual comfort of those with task-dedicated eyewear.

I assume the study was focused on showing the advantages of Transitions lenses for people who insist on wearing one pair of eyewear in all situations. In this scenario, without a doubt Transitions lenses provide a distinct advantage.

As Jo said, I wouldn't wear an evening dress on the beach (well, actually I probably wouldn't wear an evening dress at all, but...). Without a doubt, a second pair with polarized lenses is the optimal situation (especially for those in sunny locales). However, what happens when those sunglasses are in the wrong car, left at home, etc.? That's when the advantages of Transitions are probably at their pinnacle.

Now, if the fine folks at Transitions could bring an economical photo-electric variable tint lens to market (imagine being able to go from clear to 80% tint instantly by flipping a switch)!!!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Jo,

As an education leader in the optical industry, Transitions is committed to providing eyecare professionals with the information they need to make the best possible decisions about eyewear and eye health for each patient. That's why we place so much importance on education and clinical research that support the understanding of vision and comfort.

Thank you for reading the articles and providing insight of daily real world experiences about Vision Related Quality of Life.

best regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Thread Information