Thread: Rules keep needy B.C. kids from affordable eyeglasses................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Rules keep needy B.C. kids from affordable eyeglasses................................

Rules keep needy B.C. kids from affordable eyeglasses

Province won't allow subsidized parents to buy less expensive glasses online

By Kathy Tomlinson CBC News

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 2:07 AM PT

A single father is speaking out about rules that prevent him and thousands of other low income B.C. residents from getting subsidized, affordable eyeglasses.
    “There shouldn’t be any [government] restriction on where to buy glasses,” said Chris Van Dyke. “There must be many, many children and elderly that are living without the proper eyewear.”
    Van Dyke is raising his teenage son and daughter alone, on a fixed income. The province gives subsidies — between $118 and $179 per pair — to needy families for glasses, but recipients have to pay the difference in price out of their own pockets.
    “The quotes I got in store were between $750 to $1,000 dollars for glasses for all three of us,” said Van Dyke. “It means the difference between going further into debt. Putting groceries on the table.”

He wanted to buy online instead from a Vancouver-based company that quoted him one-third what other retailers did. However, the government won’t allow him to use his subsidies for online purchases.

see all of it -----------------------> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...sssubsidy.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is he shopping in a high end PRADA, CHANEL, RAYBAN, store for budget eyewear?

CBC already did an expose on Lenscrafters and determined they are a high end store so why is the interviewer/ narrator not asking that question of the man and his two kids?

If my budget will only afford a used and miled out Volkswagen then I don't shop in the new Cadillac/Lexus store .

Lenscrafters should not have to put up with this type of reporting.
    Last edited by idispense; 01-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticians should expect better respect from CBC, reporters and the government . Governments should respect the very Colleges they empower as well as the legislation they create and they should not be slamming the opticians that continue to accept a 1991 FEE schedule .
    Last edited by idispense; 01-17-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 01-17-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 01-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 01-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Posted: Sep 24, 20122:07 AM PT.................................

Quote Originally Posted by CBC

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 2:07 AM PT

idispense.......................maybe you forgot that the CBC post was made around 4 month ago. Maybe somebody in the BC government woke up to this fact and took steps to correct it which would be a logical way to go.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not sure I follow your thought here Chris, my point is that a political machine is at work discrediting opticianry and advancing on line options.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I just tried to steer you back to the original theme of the thread...................

idispense..................... I just tried to steer you back to the original theme of the thread. We just have to adapt to the situation and adapt to the way it is. Obviously it is not of much use to be The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha who tried to fight the wind mills.

In todays news the "Cirque du Soleils" the worlds biggest circus operation is laying off 500 people in the Montreal head office beause of economic conditions. So even the pleasure section section is suffering. We just should start adapting and find new working solutions, and not not complaining about something nobody seems to be actively supporting..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know what the theme of this thread was then Chris. Why do you want to publicize a poorly written article that the interviewer slanted with one sidedness and did not ask even the most basic questions of that father or that social services person?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only Evil Empire there is , if one even exists, is our own apathy to accept such poor journalism and not recognize it for exactly what it is , political machinerey in motion.
    Last edited by idispense; 01-17-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Thread Information