Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearly Contacts Now Entering Retail Arena

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Clearly Contacts Now Entering Retail Arena

Here they come out of the closet folks...I was curious how long it would take for the rumours to surface with validation. I've also heard Toronto is next for retail store #2.

So begins their retail venture...as I said recently, they need a network to be an insurance provider and achieve their 22% glasses growth, so here it begins! Wonder if it will be located out of a mall or their current operation?

Employer Name:
    Clearly Contacts

Posted Date:
    January 9, 2013

Description:

At ClearlyContacts.ca we pride ourselves on having a team comprised of talented, innovative and dynamic individuals who are driven by an inner desire to be and produce the best. In other words, we rock!

We are listed as one of BC’s Top 55 Employers all thanks to our progressive employee benefits, thriving corporate culture and cool work environment. To succeed on our team you must have an entrepreneurial mindset that likes to embrace challenges, and also understands the potential of the Internet as a revolutionary tool in providing a better way to buy eyewear.

With that being said, now is your chance to join our team. ClearlyContacts.ca is seeking a dynamic individual to add to the success of our new retail store in Vancouver. If you have a work hard, play hard type of personality then we are the right fit for you!

Clearly Contacts is currently seeking an Optometrist with a passion for customer service and patient care to work in a team based environment in downtown Vancouver.

Applying for this position will allow you to be a part of something incredible. Clearly Contacts is a Canadian owned and operated company that thrives on a culture where we believe if you can envision it, you can do it.

We thank everyone who took the time to apply for this position, however, only qualified applicants will be contacted.

Employee Perks:
    • Employee Share Ownership Plan – company matches contributions 100%
    • Extended medical benefits
    • MSP coverage
    • 2 weeks paid vacation, after 2 years of employment – 3 weeks paid vacation, after 4 years of employment – 4 weeks paid vacation
    • Opportunities for career growth and development
    • Translink Employer Pass Program (discounted transit pass)
    • Company discount on contact lenses and glasses
    • Group activities (past events: paintball, beach BBQ, Playland, dinner cruise)
    • Chance to drive a Prius for 3 months
    • Discounted gym membership
    • Refer a friend and get $500!

Job Type:
    Full Time

Job ID#:

How to Apply:
    https://clearly.mua.hrdepartment.com....php?reqid=113
    Last edited by HindSight2020; 01-10-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Content

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hakim is in BC now, great eyeglasses in chilliwack, and now coastal. Optical career is looking very promising.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow oversupply of optical providers!! Independent Opticians, OD's, Large Corp Chains (LC+Pearle etc), Smaller Corp Chains (Hak), Big Box Stores, Online in North America, Online from China who did I miss
    The optical ecosystem is way out of balance so there will/must be a culling of the herd......
    At least CC's cost of doing business will go waay up with a B&M presence so they will have to start charging for the product rather than give aways.
    Like Hindsight said in the other Clealry Cl thread we independents have to compete fiercely for sales. So prices have to come down/reduced profits but we also need to cut costs of product and fine unique products. Great for the consumer no for a large heard.
    Quite a challenge ahead eh.....

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby2020 View Post

The optical ecosystem is way out of balance so there will/must be a culling of the herd......

At least CC's cost of doing business will go waay up with a B&M presence so they will have to start charging for the product rather than give aways.

Quite a challenge ahead eh.....

Their cost will not go way up as stated in above quote, They will do what I have said for yeaers past. The optometrist will earn his living by being an optometris, and other employees will be trained to adjust and service glasses that have been sold by coastal against a service fee schedule, all under the guidance of the Optometrist and therfore will not need any opticians license anywhere.

They also might use the store as a physical showroom for frames as Warby Parker does. They will be self supporting with their service charges, a system opticians refuse to accept.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Their cost will not go way up as stated in above quote, They will do what I have said for yeaers past. The optometrist will earn his living by being an optometris, and other employees will be trained to adjust and service glasses that have been sold by coastal against a service fee schedule, all under the guidance of the Optometrist and therfore will not need any opticians license anywhere.

They also might use the store as a physical showroom for frames as Warby Parker does. They will be self supporting with their service charges, a system opticians refuse to accept.
    Wrong Chris - see their other ad below for an Optician. As far as cost increase goes, they aren't making any profit on their scaled back web only presence model, so it is impossible to move up to retail level status without a price increase. Downtown Vancouver retail lease rent varies from $45-$175 per sq ft, so your theory is out the window.

************************************************************ **************************

Excellent 667 sf retail space at prime Robson St (1100 block, across from London Drugs, upstair is Moxie Restaurant).
    Address
    : 1192 ROBSON ST
    Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 1B2
    Lease Rate
    : $175/square feet

************************************************************ **************************

Employer Name:
    Clearly Contacts

Posted Date:
    January 9, 2013

Description:

At ClearlyContacts.ca we pride ourselves on having a team comprised of talented, innovative and dynamic individuals who are driven by an inner desire to be and produce the best. In other words, we rock!

We are listed as one of BC’s Top 55 Employers all thanks to our progressive employee benefits, thriving corporate culture and cool work environment. To succeed on our team you must have an entrepreneurial mindset that likes to embrace challenges, and also understands the potential of the Internet as a revolutionary tool in providing a better way to buy eyewear.

With that being said, now is your chance to join our team. ClearlyContacts.ca is seeking a dynamic individual to add to the success of our new retail store in Vancouver. If you have a work hard, play hard type of personality then we are the right fit for you!

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF AN OPTICIAN:
    • Assist clients in finding their perfect eyeglasses
    • Suggest appropriate products (ie: lens type, lens material, coatings etc.)
    • Take proper measurements for eyeglasses
    • Fit and dispense contact lenses
    • Fit, dispense, adjust and repair eyeglasses
    • Perform sight tests as required
    • Be knowledgeable of general product information
    • Other duties as required

CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
    • Valid Optical License in British Columbia
    • Refracting certification is an asset
    • 3-5 years of experience working in the optical field
    • Open minded and adaptable to new environments
    • Self-motivated with a passion for the optical industry
    • Genuine commitment to customer service and making a difference in people’s lives
    • Strong communication and organization skills
    • Proven selling skills
    • Act as an ambassador by professionally representing Clearly Contacts

EMPLOYEE PERKS:
    • Extended medical benefits for all full-time team members
    • MSP coverage
    • 2 weeks paid vacation, after 2 years of employment – 3 weeks paid vacation, after 4 years of employment – 4 weeks paid vacation for all full time team members

Applying for this position will allow you to be a part of something incredible. Clearly Contacts is a Canadian owned and operated company that thrives on a culture where we believe if you can envision it, you can do it.

We thank everyone who took the time to apply for this position, however, only qualified applicants will be contacted.

Job Type:
    Full Time

Job ID#:

How to Apply:
    https://clearly.mua.hrdepartment.com....php?reqid=109

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow!....I get a bus pass.....and if I was an optometrist....I would get to drive a PRIUS for a whoooolee 3 months, yet.. Whoooo Hoooooooooo!!

(Gag).
    Eyes wide open

Occupation

Blue Jumper Wrong Chris - see their other ad below for an Optician......................

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post

Wrong Chris - see their other ad below for an Optician. As far as cost increase goes, they aren't making any profit on their scaled back web only presence model, so it is impossible to move up to retail level status without a price increase. Downtown Vancouver retail lease rent varies from $45-$175 per sq ft, so your theory is out the window.

Maybe you are right and I am wrong..................................

Without knowing them personally I still have followed their progress for many years and I have to say that they are an operation that is very well organized and they do employ people that do have brains, even if the optical world belittles them.

I would believe that they know what they are doing, and are not doing it blind folded. It will be interesting to follow this move and see the actual happenings. They might not have to calulate the same way as a regular B&M store as long as it fits into their long range plans.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think I see what Chris is getting at: as these large corp opticals have low costs of materials (frames from China and soon to be offshored lenses from Thai lab ) there will be less need/market for independent opticians and OD's.
    The cost of biz for CC will go up in order to maintain a B&M presence. If their financial statements are to believed they run at approx 5mil loss, so at the current pricing that has to climb.

As Chris alluded to: Are they in for the long haul to put as many independents out biz and hire them as employees.
    Who bankrolls 5mil per year losses for years??? Who did they con into buying shares of a company that makes no profit and pays no divedends? Who's pension funds are saddled with CC shares?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Chris Ryser;449513]Maybe you are right and I am wrong..................................

Chris;

Maybe???????

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here they come out of the closet folks...I was curious how long it would take for the rumours to surface with validation. I've also heard Toronto is next for retail store #2.

So begins their retail venture...as I said recently, they need a network to be an insurance provider and achieve their 22% glasses growth, so here it begins! Wonder if it will be located out of a mall or their current operation?

Employer Name:
    Clearly Contacts

Posted Date:
    January 9, 2013

Description:

Clearly Contacts is currently seeking an Optometrist with a passion for customer service and patient care to work in a team based environment in downtown Vancouver.

Employee Perks:
    • Extended medical benefits
    • MSP coverage
    • 2 weeks paid vacation, after 2 years of employment – 3 weeks paid vacation, after 4 years of employment – 4 weeks paid vacation
    • Chance to drive a Prius for 3 months
    • Discounted gym membership

Job Type:
    Full Time

Job ID#:

How to Apply:
    https://clearly.mua.hrdepartment.com....php?reqid=113
    p

@golfnorth you're forgetting one thing that CC has the equity that an independent optician wouldn't, look at hakim's model do you think hakim is suffering? CC has the resources and and man power they are already ahead of the game compared to an independent optician. I bet it won't be long when they'll hire Opticians and start doing doing sight testing as well.

Its game over as far as I know for Optical industry in BC.

Occupation
    They maybe planning to use a B&M location as a "showroom". This would help them reduce the large amount of returns they must be getting. It might also remedy their problems with trying to sell progressives online. I'm guessing a significant portion of their sales come from the Vancouver area since they hammer us with adverts. Since head office is here it also makes sense for them to try their first retail location here.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    They maybe planning to use a B&M location as a "showroom". This would help them reduce the large amount of returns they must be getting. It might also remedy their problems with trying to sell progressives online. I'm guessing a significant portion of their sales come from the Vancouver area since they hammer us with adverts. Since head office is here it also makes sense for them to try their first retail location here.
    In the end though, it's a complete reversal of their business model, and just add more layers of overhead, which up until now, they've been able to avoid. They are going down a slippery slope...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    p

@golfnorth you're forgetting one thing that CC has the equity that an independent optician wouldn't, look at hakim's model do you think hakim is suffering? CC has the resources and and man power they are already ahead of the game compared to an independent optician. I bet it won't be long when they'll hire Opticians and start doing doing sight testing as well.

Although there are some similarities between CC and Hakim's models (debatable quality and service), their financial models aren't even comparable - Hakim has been profitable since it began 45 years ago. Evidence of that lies with his huge expansion over the years and his yacht complete with tacky fromage Persian rugs.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    I've been told a Toronto location is next later this year. I can only assume they will eventually have one location in every major Canadian city if the first two are sustainable.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    p

... I bet it won't be long when they'll hire Opticians and start doing doing sight testing as well.

Won't be long, indeed

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/clear...-only-1288091/

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just in time for Sir Hakimi to retire and sell the chain!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

As CC breaks the licensing barriers they would be helping Hakim to reduce his own costs.
    I have followed the Hakim story since I sold him the first frames in his small Toronto downtown wholesale lab, where he also sold glasses to consumers. Frames at no charge and they only paid for the lenses.

Of course he only bought discontinued frames at a price that was better than dispose of them together with the empty boxes we did not want anymore. That was in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Within a very few years he started his first store and then others in a non stop motion. I used to see him a few times a year and after store closing, fought over a drink a few cents up or down per frame. Hakim always purchased at the lowest prices good quality, operated his own lab and sold at prices well below the standard B&M stores.

His formula worked and he grew his company to the size it is. As far as I can see he is a success story by itself and has made good money by not depending on the status quo of optical retailers.

............what you are saying about Coastal is just about what the optical world in Canada was saying 40 years ago. They wont make it, they are loosing money ever since, but they are still alive.
    They have a new concept, only they go a lot further geographically than Hakim ever did. If there would have been an internet he probably would have done the same thing.

Do not belittle the volume of glasses the big on-liners a doing and if they open stores try to figure out what they will be there for. They already compete with the conventional retail opticals with much lower prices, so for sure they will not go and compete on the same level.
    In my HO they will be there to service their own operations from optometry to adjustments, repairs and probably showrooms.

Occupation
    In my HO they will be there to service their own operations from optometry to adjustments, repairs and probably showrooms.
    Operations = Lab Manufacturing
    Optometry = Eye Exam Refraction
    Adjustments & Repairs = Dispensing
    Showrooms = Brick & Mortar Retail Dispensary

Other than the web portion and low selling price, how is this model any different from any of today's conventional optometric dispensaries and Optical retails?

I've got news for those disbelievers out there...it's not. High volume or not, they cannot compete on service and quality; this has been proven numerous times. The majority of consumers may sacrifice service and quality for price just once, then realize paying a little more to a caring registered professional in their neighbourhood the next time for peace of mind is well worth it. Even bottom feeder consumers want service and will even pay a bit more for it!

Independents need to be more competitive to remain a player and maintain sustainable volumes!! It's not rocket science - to help IND counter this, I have recently launched and gained quite a few new clients with my strategic lens plan which lowers your cost but protects your margins. And guess what...it works!

Occupation

Blue Jumper I've got news for those disbelievers out there..................................

Other than the web portion and low selling price, how is this model any different from any of today's conventional optometric dispensaries and Optical retails?

I've got news for those disbelievers out there...it's not. High volume or not, they cannot compete on service and quality; this has been proven numerous times. The majority of consumers may sacrifice service and quality for price just once, then realize paying a little more to a caring registered professional in their neighbourhood the next time for peace of mind is well worth it. Even bottom feeder consumers want service and will even pay a bit more for it!

...............There have been plenty discussions on OptiBoard on this subject. If Coastal actually opens any stores it will be to give a service they can not get by pure refusal of the conventional opticians to do it, even against a charge.

No PDs, don't touch a on-line purchased product. Not to check nor to adjust. You can find numerous posts to this subject on the OB archives.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Occupation

your regulators have done nothing ........................................

idispense.................your regulators have done nothing when the on-liners were still at the starting point, do you really expect any action when they are glorified by a Provincial Government ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    idispense.................your regulators have done nothing when the on-liners were still at the starting point, do you really expect any action when they are glorified by a Provincial Government ?
    I don't think he does expect action as his posts on the subject have done nothing to change the situation. I'm afraid we are stuck with him and his rants.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    I agree with the above response, do not provide pds and don't service on line product. Also register complaints with your regulators frequently and often on this subject matter until they are certain you will not tolerate their laxness on this matter. If you are paying license fees to "protect the public" then make a clear statement to the regulators as to their future if they do not uphold applicable laws.

Vote them out. Clean sweep until your local applicable laws are upheld.

You regulators should be investigating the use of on line advertising that illegally encourages your public to purchase on line in contravention of your local applicable laws. Others have done this and fines have been imposed up to 500 million dollars.

A very good point made, idispense..............
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Coostool can of worms..........establish physical presence, and you had better shield yourself from municipal, regional, provincial, federal regulatory laws, and statutes.

Bring it on.
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information