Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Trivex" & it's usage

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

"Trivex" & it's usage

Hello, looking for some input on Trivex usage in Rx's, eyewear including safety, tinting/ coatings, ect.

1) What are your Rx parameters when using Trivex? I thought I picked up in continuing education that its great for (-4 - +4?)? I seem to notice this being a 14yr lab guru ( @ least i like 2 think that ) & dealing w/this material (trivex) since 2002 during production. Knowing its abbe value, what is your Rx range when selecting any material in today's world where cosmetics seems to be more important than visual performance.

2) Would you or are you using it for everything knowing its purpose & use, including safety eyewear?

3) ECP's & labs, are you seeing any issues w/tinting or coating durability?

Happy New Year to all, Thanks in advance for every1s time & the site is VERY useful!

Jayson.
    Thanks,
    Jayson A. Schneider
    Wrapthisrx@hotmail.com
    A.B.O.C

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like trivex for anywhere you would have used poly before. It tints easier, it's stronger for drill mounts and has great clarity.

Occupation
    And regarding bullets, trivex is more impact resistant than poly!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For string mounts, nothing, and I mean nothing, is more crack, chip and fracture resistant.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 01-08-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And....the grams per cubic centimeter weight is less than poly, and its Abbe value is around 45 - Abbe value makes it a big winner for me!
    Last edited by SharonB; 01-08-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    And regarding bullets, trivex is more impact resistant than poly!
    the ol Oakley tests from the 80s going on here? I've always wanted to test a few rounds on those materials.
    Thanks,
    Jayson A. Schneider
    Wrapthisrx@hotmail.com
    A.B.O.C

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    -6.00 - -10.00 powers, Trivex? When do you recommend thinner materials & give up visual performance? Main reason for my question is my doctor in 1 location I run a lab in wants Trivex on EVERYTHING! Some of these powers you can't even fit the nose pad properly when final inspecting due to thickness & of course this is a 1.2-1.5 center thickness. Aspheric is flatter until you pick up a carry curve.
    Thanks,
    Jayson A. Schneider
    Wrapthisrx@hotmail.com
    A.B.O.C

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wrapthisRx View Post
    the ol Oakley tests from the 80s going on here? I've always wanted to test a few rounds on those materials.
    I did.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...859#post447859
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    -6.00 - -10.00 powers, Trivex? When do you recommend thinner materials & give up visual performance? Main reason for my question is my doctor in 1 location I run a lab in wants Trivex on EVERYTHING! Some of these powers you can't even fit the nose pad properly when final inspecting due to thickness & of course this is a 1.2-1.5 center thickness. Aspheric is flatter until you pick up a carry curve.
    We ran into this a few times and sometimes trivex just isn't the right call. Afterall, if it is too thick and heavy to wear, the patient won't have it on their face long enough to enjoy any clarity benefits.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think anything over about a -5.00 should be considered it a high-index material.... at some point the pt should be involved in the lens material choice. Cosmmetics MAY be the most important thing for them ...(then 1.67!) but if clarity is the issue (did it hear the word Engineer...??) then 100% Trivex!

my 2 cents
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I found many patients, even in low powers, were disappointed that Trivex was not that much thinner than CR-39.

The weight savings is great, the impact resistance is good. But Hi-Vex has a higher ABBE, is less expensive, and a little thinner at 1.56.

1.60 is 42 Abbe, Trivex has 43. 1.60 has much better cosmetics, is drill-able, and finishes very clean (no rough or chattery edges).

Between Hi-Vex and 1.60, who needs Trivex? It expensive and over rated in my opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I found many patients, even in low powers, were disappointed that Trivex was not that much thinner than CR-39.

The weight savings is great, the impact resistance is good. But Hi-Vex has a higher ABBE, is less expensive, and a little thinner at 1.56.

1.60 is 42 Abbe, Trivex has 43. 1.60 has much better cosmetics, is drill-able, and finishes very clean (no rough or chattery edges).

Between Hi-Vex and 1.60, who needs Trivex? It expensive and over rated in my opinion.
    I don't think I have "used" a 1.60 in 5+ years! AND.... you get what you pay for!
    ~N

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I love Trivex, but I am intrigued by HiVex. I need to read up more on it. As far as I know, none of my labs are using it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I love Trivex, but I am intrigued by HiVex. I need to read up more on it. As far as I know, none of my labs are using it?
    I haven't even heard of it way out here in Oregon!
    ~N

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...who needs Trivex? It expensive and over rated in my opinion.
    So perfectly said! Big thumps up to that. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well IMHO, I disagree. I am using trivex more and more where I might have used poly, like string mounts, but never 1.60, because it is too chip prone in these type frames, especially the ones with metal galleys.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually use this as an RX guide when dispensing trivex.

http://www.youngeroptics.com/pdf/trilogy/Trilogy_Monograph.pdf

Ginny

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Who's supplying Hi-vex? All styled lenses available?
    Thanks,
    Jayson A. Schneider
    Wrapthisrx@hotmail.com
    A.B.O.C

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who's supplying Hi-vex? All styled lenses available?
    There are two different flavors, recently discussed here. Don't know what/if any availability either offers to the market at large, as of today.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have never chipped a 1.60 in the newer resin, or cracked on on a drill. Very good tensile strength, and less chatter on the edge than Trivex, it finishes clean. How old was your 1.60? Both Silhoutte and Lindberg recommend 1.60 for drills over Trivex for these reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Well IMHO, I disagree. I am using trivex more and more where I might have used poly, like string mounts, but never 1.60, because it is too chip prone in these type frames, especially the ones with metal galleys.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MY ME finished trivex beautifully, without a polish. I prefer Trivex in string mounts since the client can't chip it.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have you ever inserted a magnet into a Hi-Vex power overlay? It does shatter if stressed by hand! Trivex is very, very difficult to shatter.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOVE Trivex! I have been useing it as my go to lens for over 10 years. See if you or you lab can finish them thinner when you need to. I still use 1.67 when the Rx and frame combo call for it. I do alot of 3 peice mounts and never have cracked lenses.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Have you ever inserted a magnet into a Hi-Vex power overlay? It does shatter if stressed by hand! Trivex is very, very difficult to shatter.
    We use the Chemistrie reading layers, which are Hi-Vex, and have not had any shatter. Is that what you mean? I will keep an eye out though. We are drilling on the Weco 580s, and we never have a lens crack on mounting.

Barry has the longest experience with Chemistrie though, we have only been using it since May.
    Barry, have you shattered any of your Hivex layers?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shattered the 1st 2 of them I made (Chemistrie) trying to make it a "tight" fit. Yes, it can shatter!

Thread Information