View Poll Results: What has been the effect of the 2013 federai income tax law on your take home pay?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take home pay the same

3 14.29%
  • Take home pay higher

2 9.52%
  • Take home pay less

16 76.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take Home Pay

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Take Home Pay

What do you find in the old pay envelope this year?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    What do you find in the old pay envelope this year?
    It's January 7th - isn't it a little early to ask?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    It's January 7th - isn't it a little early to ask?
    Dick gets paid in advance.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Dick gets paid in advance.
    Dick don't get no stinkin pay check. I get screwed with capital gains and real estate taxes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Dick don't get no stinkin pay check. I get screwed with capital gains and real estate taxes.
    Yeah, I have to pay property taxes too; why shouldn't we? And your long-term capital gains at least are taxed at a lower rate than my ordinary income. What's unfair about that?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think he's trying to see how many of us are aware that the temporary payroll tax reduction has been allowed to expire by both parties and we will all see a return to the payroll tax rate of 2010 starting with this weeks paycheck.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually get dust and cobwebs...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a call from one of my employees. She asked she was going to get a refund of the 2% "the company" was holding from her check. When I explained that "the government was withholding it, she then asked if I was going to give everyone a raise to make for the difference.

I simply said, "No". (She understood that more than if I had given her a long-winded explanation.)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I got a call from one of my employees. She asked she was going to get a refund of the 2% "the company" was holding from her check. When I explained that "the government was withholding it, she then asked if I was going to give everyone a raise to make for the difference.

I simply said, "No". (She understood that more than if I had given her a long-winded explanation.)
    Young and votes democrat?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Young and votes democrat?
    I didn't want to go there on this thread, but yes.

23 yr. old female...thinks Libya is a brand of canned corn.

Occupation
    Someone needs to explain to her that elections have consequences. Now it's time for her to pay her fair share.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Here's your sign!"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone needs to explain to her that elections have consequences. Now it's time for her to pay her fair share.
    No...I tried that before the election, but they all thought that I was trying to vote away their birth control.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Canned corn? Sad... So many people on both parties have no idea of what is going on. The vanishing tax cuts were the only thing from the last Bush administration I was parcial to.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No...I tried that before the election, but they all thought that I was trying to vote away their birth control.
    unfortunately i think that their closed minded view on social issues is why the republicans lost the election. I would have no problem voting republicans if they didn't let their religion/personal belief system whatever that may be say what is best socially for our country. Just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean you know what is best for me. women's right to choose, excellent plan. Insurances covering birth control: awesome, no excuse for "oops" pregnancies, hopefully fewer kids being born to parents who can't afford them or don't want to take care of them. i'm pro gay marriage. I believe in the right to bear arms, and have a gun myself, i don't think that assault rifles are necessary for any civilian to own. I'm pretty socially liberal, but pretty fiscally conservative. I truly considered both sides before voting this time around, when in the past i would just vote nader (you're welcome republicans) because i felt like they were all crazy. I went obama because i really feel like Romney/Ryan cannot identify with the middle/lower class at all. I also feel like they can't identify with my generation of kiddos at all. I don't want someone running my country that I feel won't be willing to at least listen to where i'm coming from.

I understand the need for tax increases as the defecit is huge, and i don't think that just budget cuts will help that. I think it was unreasonable for anyone to think that taxes would NOT be going up knowing what kind of financial state this country is in (not just obama's fault, let us not forget GDubbs). I also don't think that allowing people to live on welfare and not at least try to work will help us either. A lot of america needs to get back to work, i would rather see someone on state/federal assistance that is at least working a part time job and trying to be a productive member of society (even if its just flipping burgers) than just letting them get all kinds of free cash money and living better than i do with 3 jobs. I think that people tend to take a lot for granted, and feel like they deserve everything. its time to cut out on things that aren't necessities and get back to basics. if you can't afford food/medications/basicnecessities, you shouldn't have a smart phone, or cable, or a giant flat screen tv, or a $1200 laptop, thousands of dollars worth of tattoos, etc. priorities need to be set.

you may start ripping me apart any time now may have taken this way to political.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Totally agree with you, and you sound like Govenor Weld, former gov of MA.. Wish he would run for president, but he's too smart to want the job....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    most of the time those who would be best don't seek
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    I agree that Romney lost the election largely because of Republicans' stances on abortion, religion and gay marriage. I say, if people want to kill their babies, let them. They'd probably be unfit parents anyway, and the state (read taxpayer) would likely end up supporting them if they were born, until they were old enough to become criminals. Religion: well , I have no use for it and don't want it shoved down anyone's throat. Gay marriage? Let them get married so they can be as miserable as the rest of us.

I don't see a necessity for civilians to own an assault rifle either. I own an AR-15. It is not an assault rifle. It is a medium to close range defensive weapon. I was in the Army. I know what an assault rifle is. It is an automatic weapon. Mine is semi-auto, like the vast majority of legal firearms in America. FYI, most rifle calibers are more powerful than the 5.56mm/.233 caliber used in the AR-15.

Remember, neither party is on your side, but you're usually better off staying with the more conservative party if you believe in liberty over enforced equality. Liberty allows us to achieve as much as we have the will and ability to. Enforced equality can only result in misery for all because we do not have equal ability and drive. The only way to enforce equality upon a people is to bring the great low. The low cannot be made great. Bankrupt lottery winners are a perfect example of this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    . Gay marriage? Let them get married so they can be as miserable as the rest of us.

;> One of the best and accurate statements ya made yet.........!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pttooey!

Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    A lot of america needs to get back to work, i would rather see someone on state/federal assistance that is at least working a part time job and trying to be a productive member of society (even if its just flipping burgers)...
    Not sure I want to eat that burger!

Also- How about we pick the low hanging fruit like subsidies for Big Oil and Big Agriculture before we alter Medicare?

Maybe we can also stop venture capitalists (like Bain) from buying a struggling corporation and after loading it up with debt to pay themselves dumping the pension plan onto taxpayers?

I wish we could give each candidates for high office a set sum of money to run for the office which would make them much more accountable to the voters and not their financial backers. I think it would produce much more compromise on both sides of the isle. (I know it's just a wish as we would need a Constitutional Amendment to do that. And neither party would want it anyway. Sigh...)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The amount SPENT on elections makes me ill Think if we just pumped all of that cash into the educational systems

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ...and the amount he's spending on his inauguration. $170 million to "celebrate" this second term. What a thief.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    ...and the amount he's spending on his inauguration. $170 million to "celebrate" this second term. What a thief.
    Woule the amount be justified if it was the other guy getting inauged? Much of that money is donated anyway...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Completely inaccurate.

Thread Information