Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First optical job?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Resurfacing fusing blocks on a R&H hand pan at minimum wage in 1972 at the (now long closed) Precision Cosmet fusing plant in Redwing, MN. Moved on to rough grind of backsides of majors, countersink fining and furnace loading (that was fun: room temp +120 during the summer months and no airconditioning in the building).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was encouraged by an ex-boyfriend's mother to apply at the local Stein Optical in OConomowoc, WI when I was 17 back in 2000. I told her they would never hire someone without experience, but they did which still puzzles me to this day, haha! I started in surface and I worked my way up to receptionist, to prelim tech, and then out in the Dispensary. I remember walking off with a patient's file- I was going to fit them in a progressive- and the manager grabbed me by the collar (gently) and pulled me back telling me I had "no business fitting a progressive patient yet". It always seemed when I thought I "knew everything" some situation would come along and knock me on my cocky little rear. :)

I was extremely lucky to learn from some really awesome "old school" opticians/lab managers. I wish more kids got a start in a career like I did. I'll never be rich but I'm proud of having a tangible skill unlike the legions of office drones out there who have expendable desk jobs writing TPS reports.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1984 Helping my girlfriend at a optical dispensary in a flea market. Boy that was a long time ago, Still have the girl.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cohen's Fashion Optical in CT in 1985. Frame stylist specializing in Cazal, Ted Lapidus, Vuarnet,and Avant Garde Deeda with double gradient tints

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Started as a lab assistant back in 1981 when I was 16. This was when Skaga (Scandinavian Eyewear) had a small RX lab. I tinted lenses (CR 39 and mineral), made patterns and performed other basic tasks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmama View Post
    Cohen's Fashion Optical in CT in 1985. Frame stylist specializing in Cazal, Ted Lapidus, Vuarnet,and Avant Garde Deeda with double gradient tints
    We all probably wish we had a dime for every Deeda sold with matching gradient tints - brown-rose and blue rose were the big sellers! Blast from the past!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish I could remember.

Thread Information