Thread: Help... What lens is the Zeiss Experince from Walmart?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Help... What lens is the Zeiss Experince from Walmart?

My priest cannot adapt to even a Autograph II and says his Walmart progressives are still clearer.

Anyone know the name of the lens in the general market?

I saw a thread where someone thought it was the Gradual Top but they were unsure.

Thanks for any input

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't help you, but I think I heard the same thing.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think that switching backwards is still not the best solution for your patient, although it may be the easiest. I have found that the Auto II does have a very high non-adapt rate (but it also has a very high "I love this lens rate'). Personally, I see better through the Shamir Spectrum and InTouch than the Auto II.

The ideal lens for your patient would depend on why they don't like the Auto II, I have some theories, but if you can share more information about your patient we can probably find a great lens without sending them back to Walmart. Yikes on that one.

Can you share what the RX is? And why your patient doesn't like the Auto II? What his lifesytle needs are? Also, did you check DVAs with the Auto II vs. their old lens? I can't tell you the number of patients who tell me they can't see well, but their DVA is much higher in the new lens (patients cant communicate what they don't like well).

Quote Originally Posted by osuidoc View Post
    My priest cannot adapt to even a Autograph II and says his Walmart progressives are still clearer.

I saw a thread where someone thought it was the Gradual Top but they were unsure.

Thanks for any input

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a Walmart VCM. I asked the same question of our lens buyer a while back. It is definitely one of the Zeiss Gradal lenses, but I do not remember which one. It will also vary depending on his fitting height. The Walmart "Zeiss Experience" comes in either a standard or a short corridor version. When we order a lens with a 16mm or above fitting height, we receive the standard version, but for anything below 16mm, we receive the short corridor version. The minimum fitting height for the lens is 13mm. I hope this information is helpful to you and to your patient.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Okay thanks for the replies so far.

I too have had the love/hate response to the Autograph II from patients.

We tried the Physio enhanced short next, still same complaints.

The distance vision is equal to his old lenses, just reports the channel of clear near vision is too narrow and peripheral blur too noticeable.

Rechecked the rx and its repeatable and very close to his previous one so no issue there.

-3.00-0.75x013 +2.00
    -2.75-0.75x168 +2.00

seg ht is at 16mm

So should I go for the Gradal Top Short??

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only use Zeiss Lenses and came across this lens a few months ago. The Zeiss Experience is basically the Canadian Version of the GT2 3D.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you not look at his old progressives that he claims are clearer and tell what they are?

I would pray for forgiveness, refund, and send Preacherman on his way.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for any input
    I'm trying not to laugh...a priest and a rabbi both need eyeglasses...

This all seems rather vague...what is clearer? Under what circumstances, etc.?). Here's one possiblity.

The Autograph's narrow and aggressive power change in the corridor will not work well at the pulpit, typically 20" or more in distance. A better lens would have a slower and more linear power change, like the old Gradal Top that you mentioned, athough the best choice would be a segmented multifocal with the add power cut for the book distance (measured by the priest before the office visit).

OTOH, what priest isn't an avid reader- the Auto 2 fixed 18 is about as good as it gets for an age 50+ myope. That's assuming that he doesn't remove his eyeglasses to read!

A fitting height of 16mm is too short for an avid reader. Client willing, supply a frame that gives you at least 19mm to work with. If he isn't cooperative, send him to Fezz.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Both the Auto II and Physio Enhanced are distance ephasized lenses, at the cost of a narrow channel. My first choice for better transition and wider intermediate and reading would be the Seiko Surmount in that RX, a second choice would be the Definity, but it has much narrower distance than than the Surmount. The third choice would be Hoya ID, but its expensive. I estimate the Surmount has about 6x the intermediate zone of the Auto II, and 2-3X the reading. If you order the Surmount, include near mono PDs for maximum reading.

16 is not the ideal seg height for 2.00 add, its borderline. If you can get a longer seg you would gain some reading room.

I wouldnt go for the Gradal Top short, over the other choices.

Okay thanks for the replies so far.

I too have had the love/hate response to the Autograph II from patients.
    We tried the Physio enhanced short next, still same complaints.

The distance vision is equal to his old lenses, just reports the channel of clear near vision is too narrow and peripheral blur too noticeable.

Rechecked the rx and its repeatable and very close to his previous one so no issue there.

-3.00-0.75x013 +2.00
    -2.75-0.75x168 +2.00

seg ht is at 16mm

So should I go for the Gradal Top Short??

Thread Information