Thread: Customer service vs puttng up with customers

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Customer service vs puttng up with customers

My wife and I were having a discussion about customer service the other day. I told her I would love to find a better paying job but stay in customer service. I like working with people and I really like providing great customer service. I really do, I sound like a training video when I talk about it.

She told me I should get paid better for "putting up with customers". I think that attitude is part of the problem. Not just on the pay scale side but also on the employees side. I think of working with customers as the same way an electrician works with electricity. He uses his skill and knowledge to make electricity light a light bulb and run a factory. I use my skills to make people feel comfortable,happy and to resolve any problems or issues they are having. I think the people with the put up with mentality will provide you with minimal service and not be very pleasant. They may get the job done but that is all. We all know from an optical stand point that one of the reasons you have customers return to your business is for the service you provide for you customers. They can buy the same product elsewhere. That is true of everything though not just glasses. I know of one office in my area that loses a lot of patient because of one person.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The converse is also true. We had an ex employee that most every patient would complain about, but they kept coming here. They hated him, but the wouldn't go anywhere else. They were either too lazy to find another practice or many just like to have something to complain about. Think about it...how many of you don't go somewhere else just simply because it is a pain.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mizikal, this is a great example of "True" professionalism in customer service. You have it, and there are many who will never achieve it, although they will think they have it.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I think that attitude is part of the problem. Not just on the pay scale side but also on the employees side. I think of working with customers as the same way an electrician works with electricity. He uses his skill and knowledge to make electricity light a light bulb and run a factory. I use my skills to make people feel comfortable,happy and to resolve any problems or issues they are having. I think the people with the put up with mentality will provide you with minimal service and not be very pleasant.
    You nailed it. I was thinking the same thing after reading the first sentence of the second paragraph.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ++++1 If you ever move to Phoenix, look me up.
    I came, I saw, I left

Thread Information