Thread: Eyeglass prescription record retention in Georgia??????

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyeglass prescription record retention in Georgia??????

So I've heard all sorts of different arguments on this and I can't find a definitive statement anywhere.

How long by law is a dispenser required to keep a copy of an eyeglass prescription in Georgia????

As a rule of thumb I think most adhere to 7 years but I've heard everything from, 5-7-10, to "it's not considered a medical device since it isn't in direct contact with the eye and that you aren't required to keep a copy of it on file for any certain length of time".

Does anyone know of a federal or state law that specifical states how long to keep this record on file????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are one of the 7 years offices in Georgia. Earlier this year we had a records request for a patient who had not been in the office for almost ten years. This was from a lawyer in regards to a medical lawsuit the pt was involved in. Office staff told the lawyer that records over 7 years old are kept off site in storage and not accessible. The lawyer threatened to request a warrant for the information. I'm not sure how legal it all was, but it spooked my doc enough to send someone wading through years of files to find it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Ophthalmic Practice Rules.........................................

Ophthalmic Practice RulesSummary

The Federal Trade Commission (“FTC” or “Commission”) has completed its regulatory review of the Ophthalmic Practice Rules (“Rules”), which require, among other things, that eye care practitioners provide patients with a copy of their eyeglass prescription upon completion of an eye examination. Pursuant to this review, the Commission has determined to retain the Rules in their current form. This document discusses the comments received in response to the Commission's request for public comment, analyzes the effect of the enactment of the Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act, 15 U.S.C. 7601-7610, and announces the Commission's decision to retain the Rules.

see all of it ----------------------------> https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...practice-rules

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyak2003 View Post
    "it's not considered a medical device since it isn't in direct contact with the eye and that you aren't required to keep a copy of it on file for any certain length of time".
    Whoever told you that is incorrect. Spectacles ARE medical devices and since a prescription is required to get them, they have to be treated as such.

Thread Information