Thread: Not a Good Morning!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not a Good Morning!

Yep, just as it says, not a good morning. I got a phone call from 911 at about 8am saying I had a window broke at the office. I arrived about 10 minutes later to find a 6ft x6ft tempered window smashed all over the office. Glass everywhere, and shelves broke and frames all over the floor mixed in glass.

Total cash take, exactly $100. Estimate of damage, about $2500. Merry Christmas! Oh well, at least I laughed a little upon seeing it, it's all I can do...

Bad news is, can't get a piece of tempered glass big enough until after the Holidays.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 12-20-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    At least you know how to board it up from prepping for hurricanes!
    Some jerks stole $50 worth of copper out of my buddy's church's HVAC. Cost them several grand to replace. So much destruction for so little gain. What a shame on both counts.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My office was also broken into a few months ago. The guy was intoxicated and was looking for narcotics. He took a baseball bat and broke every piece of glass here! Thankfully we had insurance and we do not keep any cash in the office over night. We had a ply wood door for awhile until we could get the glass fixed. The same week 24 miles away my cousins insurance office was broken into same style. Sorry about your office and hope the day gets better for you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That sucks! sorry to here. Hopefully you are able to get everything cleaned and put back together with as little effort as possible.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sorry to hear stories like this. It seems to be the latest trend since the economy has been so bad for so many. It's not just career criminals anymore. More and more "regular" folks are stooping to criminal activities to make ends meet.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to hear that! I hope things are back up and in place soon!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Sorry to hear stories like this. It seems to be the latest trend since the economy has been so bad for so many. It's not just career criminals anymore. More and more "regular" folks are stooping to criminal activities to make ends meet.
    According to liberals, as crimes like these increase, we should have less means to defend ourselves.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    According to liberals, as crimes like these increase, we should have less means to defend ourselves.
    Now that's funny. Was he supposed to be sleeping in the store?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Getting cleaned up, slowly. Glass is everywhere, teeny, tiny pieces all over everything. About 6 frames lost to walking on them getting in and out, about 4 glass shelves with 3-5 piece hi-risers broke. Could have been worse.

Starting to get a chill in here, sun going down, and still waiting for the glass people to board me up.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Now that's funny. Was he supposed to be sleeping in the store?
    It's nice to have you back. I've been suffering from lack-o-snark-itis.

Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    I was referring to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Yep, just as it says, not a good morning. I got a phone call from 911 at about 8am saying I had a window broke at the office. I arrived about 10 minutes later to find a 6ft x6ft tempered window smashed all over the office. Glass everywhere, and shelves broke and frames all over the floor mixed in glass.

Total cash take, exactly $100. Estimate of damage, about $2500. Merry Christmas! Oh well, at least I laughed a little upon seeing it, it's all I can do...

Bad news is, can't get a piece of tempered glass big enough until after the Holidays.
    Not this one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    And I prefer CURRENT information when discussing CURRENT crime trends, not 2 year old information. There is no data in that report newer than 2010. I believe you intentionally linked to one of the lowest crime years on record in an attempt to cherry-pick data. A quick google search reveals:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-first-year-/

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/pr...jppr101712.pdf
    "From 2010 to 2011, white non-Hispanics and Hispanics experienced an increase in violent victimization rates, while the rate for black non-Hispanics was stable."

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...gainst-whites/
    "Not only is the U.S. economy in shambles, violent crime is at an all-time high and new federal statistics show that 2011 saw the biggest increase in criminal activity in nearly two decades with a large boost in the rate of “violent victimizations” for whites.
    The rate of violent crime increased by a whopping 17% last year, according to the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), marking the biggest jump since 1993. Property crimes also went up 11% last year. That means that in 2011 there were nearly 6 million violent victimizations and more than 17 million property victimizations, according to the DOJ figures.
    In an apparent effort to downplay the alarming statistics the feds explain in a press release that the swelling of violent crime is due to an increase in the number of aggravated and simple assaults." http://www.columbia.edu/~rs328/Homicide.pdf

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just waiting for someone to blame the currrent administration for a spike in crime peaking in 2011, knowing that it takes on average 6 years for econimic issues to change the social fabric. I am sure that the wave started pre-09. Same thing happens with good economic changes..... Personally I think anyone who wanted to be president in 09 was stupid.......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. The Washington Times is so ultra-conservative that they had to give it away. It always landed on my driveway next to my Washington Post.
    2. Blogs are, well, blogs.
    3. Was someone killed during the event that sparked this thread? Apples and oranges.
    4. Peace out...again.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kentmitchell1961 View Post
    Personally I think anyone who wanted to be president in 09 was stupid.......
    I couldn't agree more!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Getting cleaned up, slowly. Glass is everywhere, teeny, tiny pieces all over everything. About 6 frames lost to walking on them getting in and out, about 4 glass shelves with 3-5 piece hi-risers broke. Could have been worse.

Starting to get a chill in here, sun going down, and still waiting for the glass people to board me up.
    Well, you know OBX, if you TWISTED our arms....a lot....I'm sure some of us would certainly be willing to come to OBX and stay at the beach for a week or so..**wink, wink, nudge, nudge**

You know, just to help you clean up. Just a thought.

Occupation
    1. The Washington Times is so ultra-conservative that they had to give it away. It always landed on my driveway next to my Washington Post.
    2. Blogs are, well, blogs.
    3. Was someone killed during the event that sparked this thread? Apples and oranges.
    4. Peace out...again.
    And the Department of Justice? Columbia University? Are you selectively reading my links as well? I posted these above:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/pr...jppr101712.pdf

http://www.columbia.edu/~rs328/Homicide.pdf
    Last edited by Wes; 12-20-2012 at 05:58 PM.

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, and we promise not to eat too much, nor soak up all of your booze.........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Update: Glass company called yesterday, said they would install today. Two guys remove the plywood, insert all the rubber gaskets, insert large piece of glass. Ooooops, it doesn't fit, too big. The guy who measured wrote 72 3/4, and it should be 72 3/8! Being tempered, they can't remove that much, so they own one big glass scrap. I have to wait about 5 more days until they come back. The plywood is growing on me..

Thread Information