Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can tell us...we won't tell!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You can tell us...we won't tell!

So...what did you buy for your significant other, kids, or friend? Anything special? You can tell us...we won't tell!

I just finished wrapping Christmas presents that I will give to my wife. She easy to shop for...not extravagant in the least. I bought her a baseball hat from my son's school, a t-shirt from Arborwear with trees on it (she's a tree-hugging conservative), a sweatshirt from my son's school (she asked for both of those), 5lbs. of gourmet coffee (not really fair because I'll drink it too), and a set of travel coffee mugs that my neighbor in Montana made for her. http://aowoodmugs.com/about-me.html

Like I said, she's easy to shop for, and loves (or pretends to) anything I give her.

My son gets a ski pass for the local "hill", some clothes (not many), a gift card for Half Price Books. (He loves to buy books), and chapstick and other practical stuff...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well, my significant other travels for work, never knows where she's going, and needs to get there fast. I got her a GPS with lifetime map updates and a friction mount for easy transferability between rentals and her car, and a nice radar/laser detector! Now she can get where she's going, and in a hurry too!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    I was going to get her a hoodie-footie but I just couldn't be that much of a jerk.

PS. It can be personalized and comes in 12 styles, with a lepoard print available for a limited time.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    And the kids want GameStop, money, phones, and a gun. Yep. The 19 year old wants to learn to use a gun and eventually get one.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I was going to get her a hoodie-footie but I just couldn't be that much of a jerk.
    My wife would would shoot me if I got her one of those!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did Old Saint Nick get Johns the ability to start a thread for Christmas?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What did I get my bride for Christmas...................?

She has ME!

What more could a woman ask for?

Seriously...........We do not buy much for each other. We tend to get what we want or need when we want or need it throughout the year. I did buy her a purse that I saw her eyeing up while we were shopping with friends. I dashed back to the store two days later and thankfully it was still there.

In all reality, she would be thrilled if I worked on being a better husband!

My 211/2 year old daughter NEVER asks for anything for Christmas, birthdays, etc. One year, she was like 5 or 6, she asked for batteries! That is the only time she has ever asked for anything until this years!

She asked for an iPhone.

Needless to say, dear old Dad came thru!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, me and my old man don't exchange gifts either, although when the tax refund comes in we are getting natural gas put into our house, upgrading to a tankless gas water heater and getting a gas stove, since I've found out that I can't can on a glass top (which makes me angry since it's only 4 years old with a double oven and ones convection).

My two girls, 6 and 8, are still crazy about squinkies, so we've bought them about a trillion. They are also getting a Barbie RV and the Barbie cruise ship, amongst other things.

Not sure if I'll gift anything to myself. I have been eyeing the All American Pressure Canner for a while. And I need a few more knives for the kitchen....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We initally decided not to get anything for each other because we made out like bandits at the wedding earlier this year but I got a bonus this year so I bought some fancy socks for my husband and I plan on either giving him a gift certificate for new running shoes or actually buying the shoes themselves. Not sure which direction to go on that. I got my MIL some fantastic Sperry's house shoes that are zebra print with sequins (sounds tacky but I promise they aren't).

I was hoping my folks would come to NC for the New Year weekend so I could wine and dine them but it looks as though they can't make it. I'm bummed because I never make it back to WI for the holidays. My mom has already told me she is sending a shipment of Penzeys to me which has me thrilled! I just wish she could come with the shipment. I haven't had Xmas with my brother and parents for nearly 5 years. :(
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i got mine a custom coffee mug, with a mustache on it obviously a bowtie and two normal ties, a book thats called "you're not as smart as you think you are," a cook book, a "wreck this journal" and a gogole nexus gift card for the tablet his mom is getting him. they're all going to have messages on the front like "so you can get you're caffeine fix," so you can take me on a classy date" so you can take me on a nerdy date" etc etc ... i think i'm hilarious anyway
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got the wife a Kurig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you have a christmas tree shop near you you can get coffee variety packs 48 for $25 ... its the cheapest i've found!!! other than using the little cup they give you for your own coffee, but i got it for the convenience so i wouldnt have to clean up stuff every morning
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I got the wife a Kurig
    That was last year's gift!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unlike when we first married and she said she'd do more bathtub cleaning if she didn't have to scrub so much I was shopping the next day when divine providence led my eyes to a multi purpose battery operated bathroom cleaning kit! Of course she found that wrapped present the most intriguing and I didn't help matters by telling her how much she was going to love it!

I'll again be shopping the local jeweler this weekend.

PS- If you guys are in a hardware or auto parts store pass on the stocking stuffers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Unlike when we first married and she said she'd do more bathtub cleaning if she didn't have to scrub so much I was shopping the next day when divine providence led my eyes to a multi purpose battery operated bathroom cleaning kit! Of course she found that wrapped present the most intriguing and I didn't help matters by telling her how much she was going to love it!

I'll again be shopping the local jeweler this weekend.

PS- If you guys are in a hardware or auto parts store pass on the stocking stuffers.
    Too funny. My husband got me a piece of work out gear for mother's day a long time ago. Yes, all appendages are still accounted for.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    That was last year's gift!
    That's why I got it this year!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got my husband a SodaStream. Oldest daughter a new laptop and little one an ipod touch and a bike. No little gifts, just a few "biggies".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I got my 15 year old son his very own 12 lb shot put, and a custom ebroidered leather shot put carrying bag, a lava lamp, and some model rockets!!

The 12 year old boy got some Lego Hero Factory kits, a giant Nerf gun, a new sled, and a full size Basketball hoop!!

I'm done with getting them junk that involves sitting in front of a glowing box, so it's all outdoor fun stuff this year!!
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't usually get anything major for each other...this year is no different. In fact he knows exactly what he's getting...some cheap speakers ($4.99) so he can hook up his phone and listen to the music, and a new pair of earbuds with a microphone ($9.99)

I really know how to spend it up right, don't I? LOL! I had to laugh the other night, we went to bed and the house was all quiet, and out-of-the-blue he claps his hands together and says...'Oh, boy, I am soooo excited to unwrap my earbuds!' LOL...that was a funny thing to hear right before going to sleep!

Seriously, though...we just don't have it this year...we had a tight budget and wanted to make sure the kids didn't feel left out of the "Santa" loop, ya know?

PS...I got my gift already, a couple of months ago...not from my husband, but from a good friend from the north, it came in the form of a box and inside was a great deal of help!!
    Last edited by Now I See; 12-20-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added PS

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See View Post
    Seriously, though...we just don't have it this year...we had a tight budget and wanted to make sure the kids didn't feel left out of the "Santa" loop, ya know?
    They won't. My best christmas was the year my mom got a bag of pre-wrapped gifts from our church because she couldn't afford them. We were both surprised by my gifts, but I remember them being my favorite ones ever.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    They won't. My best christmas was the year my mom got a bag of pre-wrapped gifts from our church because she couldn't afford them. We were both surprised by my gifts, but I remember them being my favorite ones ever.
    That's very sweet...thanks...that makes me feel much better! Thankfully, we saved up a "stash" throughout the year, only $5 here and $10 there, but it added up and we have been able to give them 1 big gift to share and a few small ones to open...but not nearly what they were asking for.

I'd give you a greenie if I could, but it looks like I have to spread them around a little!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    What did I get my bride for Christmas...................?

She has ME!

What more could a woman ask for?

Seriously...........We do not buy much for each other. We tend to get what we want or need when we want or need it throughout the year. I did buy her a purse that I saw her eyeing up while we were shopping with friends. I dashed back to the store two days later and thankfully it was still there.

In all reality, she would be thrilled if I worked on being a better husband!

My 211/2 year old daughter NEVER asks for anything for Christmas, birthdays, etc. One year, she was like 5 or 6, she asked for batteries! That is the only time she has ever asked for anything until this years!

She asked for an iPhone.

Needless to say, dear old Dad came thru!
    That's awesome!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We normally do not buy for each other either, but this year I may get her that ranch we have wanted. If all works out, I may even have it locked up right after Christmas. I need 2 houses like I need another hole in my head.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Even a remote start?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Did Old Saint Nick get Johns the ability to start a thread for Christmas?
    You bet!

Thread Information