Thread: Plano Concave on 1.5 index?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Plano Concave on 1.5 index?

I received back a job from our lab today the rx was -6.50/-0.75x80 R+L the lenses were flat front surface, plano concave, I am sending them back and specifying a front curve for them but want to know the following,

I am wanting to set the front curve at +2 to give it some curve to the lenses I know this will make the edge thickness worse but would there be any visual problems that might crop up from doing this? or problems regarding fit into frame?

I will be using 1.67 index and specifying the +2 front curve, I am fitting into a nylon supra with a eye size of 58mm. frame is made from acetate plastic. O.C's are 31 R+L and height set at 26mm above rim.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Edge thickness will not change (providing the index does not change): any curve added to the front just adds the same curve to the back, resulting in zero increase in edge thickness.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Edge thickness will not change (providing the index does not change): any curve added to the front just adds the same curve to the back, resulting in zero increase in edge thickness.
    Theoretically!
    According to the formulas!

In real life it might be a bit thicker..... Just my experience...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Flatter base curves do decrease the edge thickness. That's why aspheric (front) lenses are thinner; it's due to the flatter base curve, not the asphericity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I received back a job from our lab today the rx was -6.50/-0.75x80 R+L the lenses were flat front surface, plano concave, I am sending them back and specifying a front curve for them but want to know the following,

I am wanting to set the front curve at +2 to give it some curve to the lenses I know this will make the edge thickness worse but would there be any visual problems that might crop up from doing this? or problems regarding fit into frame?

I will be using 1.67 index and specifying the +2 front curve, I am fitting into a nylon supra with a eye size of 58mm. frame is made from acetate plastic. O.C's are 31 R+L and height set at 26mm above rim.

Bok, use the Base Curve that the lens manufacturer recommends, and place the vertical optics according to Martin's rule for tilt, unless the manufacturer recommends a center pupil position (Shamir), possibly with prism thinning. Try to fit close, and keep the pupil center no more than 5mm above center (the datum or 180 line).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    58 eye size frame with -6.50 -0.75 Rx and 62 PD ???? I would question the frame choice before I place a redo for base curve.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    58 eye size frame with -6.50 -0.75 Rx and 62 PD ???? I would question the frame choice before I place a redo for base curve.
    Gokhan I have already questioned frame choice three times, customer is reglazing a frame he has purchased elsewhere and is stubborn and does not want to change it.

Robert you have been very helpful, thank you very much.

Thread Information