Thread: Unity PLxpression

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Unity PLxpression

For those of you that take VSP out there, or anyone who is a devoted Progressive lens geek (like me ) have you heard of or have any experience with the Unity PLxpression. It appears to be a novel design where the front is a digital mold that varies the BC from top to bottom. The top is flatter and the bottom steeper, which effectively increases the add and (supposedly) the width of the reading corridor. Lens is back surface digital. Seems like it might work really well with hyperopes especially.

I couldn't get a complete answer to who designed it, but I think it was IOT in Spain.

Anyone used it? Anyone want to correct any misunderstanding I might have about this lens?

Thanks!
    John Henahan
    Spectrum Eyecare
    www.speceye.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    For those of you that take VSP out there, or anyone who is a devoted Progressive lens geek (like me ) have you heard of or have any experience with the Unity PLxpression. It appears to be a novel design where the front is a digital mold that varies the BC from top to bottom. The top is flatter and the bottom steeper, which effectively increases the add
    That essentially describes a semi-finished, progressive lens blank.

and (supposedly) the width of the reading corridor.
    Not necessarily.

Lens is back surface digital.
    According to rinselberg's link, it's POW optimized.

Seems like it might work really well with hyperopes especially.
    Maybe. Probably better than a full backside PAL.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Robert. Personally I'd have little use for it since it's only available in CR and Poly. No Trivex or 1.60.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recently went to a Unity dinner here in CLT to find out more about the lens but all I really got was another remedial lesson in digital lens technology. I asked the question point blank, "Why should I use this lens besides the fact that our practice receives a bigger reimbursement from VSP?" and the answer I got was, "Thats a great question, give this gal a starbucks gift certificate." Um...thanks. They kept on pushing the lower catagories of the VSP progressive tiers which doesn't really affect us, I only fit "N" and "O" lenses.

My interest was piqued by the PLxpressions lens but I'm not sure I understand how the design of the front and the surfacing of the backside is unlike prism thinning. I too, am unimpressed with the lack of materials.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The effect is not unlike the Definity, its not really a new technology. In theory, it should be better than some for hyperopes, but most people who've worn it give it a mediocre feedback, when compared to other lenses. The problem with their approach though is that it will essentially move some skew distortion from the bottom to the top of the lens. It could also have a negative impact on distance vision, esp toward the periphery in minus powers over -2.00 sphere.

Its possible IOT Designed it, there are only a few companies designing Progressives in the world for others right now. They have been mentioned before, but VSP officially denies any link.

Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    For those of you that take VSP out there, or anyone who is a devoted Progressive lens geek (like me ) have you heard of or have any experience with the Unity PLxpression. It appears to be a novel design where the front is a digital mold that varies the BC from top to bottom. The top is flatter and the bottom steeper, which effectively increases the add and (supposedly) the width of the reading corridor. Lens is back surface digital. Seems like it might work really well with hyperopes especially.

I couldn't get a complete answer to who designed it, but I think it was IOT in Spain.

Anyone used it? Anyone want to correct any misunderstanding I might have about this lens?

Thanks!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I agree with Robert. Personally I'd have little use for it since it's only available in CR and Poly. No Trivex or 1.60.
    word is the availability will be greatly expanded in early summer as in June-ish. at least according to our rep. word is they are waiting on the manufacturer to ramp up.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    The effect is not unlike the Definity, its not really a new technology. In theory, it should be better than some for hyperopes, but most people who've worn it give it a mediocre feedback, when compared to other lenses. The problem with their approach though is that it will essentially move some skew distortion from the bottom to the top of the lens. It could also have a negative impact on distance vision, esp toward the periphery in minus powers over -2.00 sphere. Its possible IOT Designed it, there are only a few companies designing Progressives in the world for others right now. They have been mentioned before, but VSP officially denies any link.
    IMO if you're not getting a WOW or just mediocre feedback from practices you're working with then I would question if they are doing the custom measurements accurately. We've had nothing but WOW's with the product. It's a variable base-curve design that has a built in magnification in the reading zone which I've not seen in other products. Not sure why everyone seems so concerned with who makes it as the marking on them are pretty clear to me. EIther way, the product passed our patients and staff testing. Contact them for some vouchers. They seem to have plenty. I've used them to put staff that is doubtful at ease.

Thread Information