Thread: Frames Direct? Bring 'em on!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Frames Direct? Bring 'em on!

Hey! Why not another thread about on line eye wear!

I made a comment on the Canadian forum that got me re-researching info. I wanted to compare my top selling frames (Silhouette rimless) with a FF PAL and AR. Their *suggested* lens was the Ideal (Essilor) and came with free AR ( no mention of Crizal so I would think Sharpview which scratches easier because of no TD2 undercoat). Also, if you can order a different PAL design, I couldn't find an option (at least easily).

First, let's look at warranty. No scratch warranty only defects for 1 year. Frame and lens, no warranty other than manufacturer defects. ( How many defects have you seen on coatings or Silh's within one year? All failure of these products are almost exclusively *owners fault*, not manufacturer defects.)

2nd, lets look at quality. I can't question Silhouette quality. Are there better frames? Yea, but not many for the money. But the lenses....I consider the Ideal a bottom shelf FF (backside) design. It's price reflects that too. It's fairly inexpensive compared to other backside designs. But the optics are worse than a Shoreviews. ( bottom rung, traditional PAL.)

Summery: I won't list the price, you can go there and do it yourself. But if I were to forgo any warranty like they do, I'll sell you that same combination of lens and frame all day long, and I'll include free consultations, professional measurements and adjustments for life. I might even throw in some entertaining banter!

But, after that free consultation, I think you'll decide to pay a tad more for a much better design of lens, and you might want to cough up an extra % for an unconditional warranty (like I currently tie into pricing.)

Sooner or later, there will be a consolidation of on line sellers. They'll be down to a top 5 or so just like other industries ( oil, banks, brokers, ect). FD will be around because they have a pricing structure that is sustainable, along with having deep reserve pockets (Essilor). Coastal is yet to be profitable on their eye wear side. They will have to adjust pricing as will the others that wish to sustain or achieve profitability.

The 39 dollar places aren't my competition. It's not my market, but FD is in my market if you look at products available that we carry/can get. Bottom line; I can go toe to toe with them on price for product, and include service. I say, Frames Direct...Bring it on!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's good positive way to look at it. I know of so many optical store owners who are happy to have LC close by. They say people go there once and return back to the independent ECP with a better understanding of customer service and value.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    That's good positive way to look at it. I know of so many optical store owners who are happy to have LC close by. They say people go there once and return back to the independent ECP with a better understanding of customer service and value.
    I used to work at an optical store in a mall which also had an LC. I considered the LC to be our best ally. We would get people who were upset by something they did all the time -- pricing, wouldn't fix their frame, etc.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I used to work at an optical store in a mall which also had an LC. I considered the LC to be our best ally. We would get people who were upset by something they did all the time -- pricing, wouldn't fix their frame, etc.
    I have heard that so many times. They don't repair frames and no warranty (only 90 days). I came a cross some online retailers who claims to have certain brands and once you order you get a response that it is no longer available.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Hey! Why not another thread about on line eye wear!

I made a comment on the Canadian forum that got me re-researching info. I wanted to compare my top selling frames (Silhouette rimless) with a FF PAL and AR. Their *suggested* lens was the Ideal (Essilor) and came with free AR ( no mention of Crizal so I would think Sharpview which scratches easier because of no TD2 undercoat). Also, if you can order a different PAL design, I couldn't find an option (at least easily).

First, let's look at warranty. No scratch warranty only defects for 1 year. Frame and lens, no warranty other than manufacturer defects. ( How many defects have you seen on coatings or Silh's within one year? All failure of these products are almost exclusively *owners fault*, not manufacturer defects.)

2nd, lets look at quality. I can't question Silhouette quality. Are there better frames? Yea, but not many for the money. But the lenses....I consider the Ideal a bottom shelf FF (backside) design. It's price reflects that too. It's fairly inexpensive compared to other backside designs. But the optics are worse than a Shoreviews. ( bottom rung, traditional PAL.)

Summery: I won't list the price, you can go there and do it yourself. But if I were to forgo any warranty like they do, I'll sell you that same combination of lens and frame all day long, and I'll include free consultations, professional measurements and adjustments for life. I might even throw in some entertaining banter!

But, after that free consultation, I think you'll decide to pay a tad more for a much better design of lens, and you might want to cough up an extra % for an unconditional warranty (like I currently tie into pricing.)

Sooner or later, there will be a consolidation of on line sellers. They'll be down to a top 5 or so just like other industries ( oil, banks, brokers, ect). FD will be around because they have a pricing structure that is sustainable, along with having deep reserve pockets (Essilor). Coastal is yet to be profitable on their eye wear side. They will have to adjust pricing as will the others that wish to sustain or achieve profitability.

The 39 dollar places aren't my competition. It's not my market, but FD is in my market if you look at products available that we carry/can get. Bottom line; I can go toe to toe with them on price for product, and include service. I say, Frames Direct...Bring it on!
    A few corrections. To the best of my knowledge ALL essilor progressives from ELOA have TD2 under any AR.
    Frames direct online list prices are much more expensive than some other websites! But they also run sales and specials and discounts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I have heard that so many times. They don't repair frames and no warranty (only 90 days). I came a cross some online retailers who claims to have certain brands and once you order you get a response that it is no longer available.
    Did not you work for LC?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll have to verify that with my labs Lenny. To my knowledge their bottom rung AR's are only src standard coated. ( I can PM you with essilor lab coats w/o a lacqure (td2) coat, that I do know of.)

Thread Information