Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think buying eyewear online is

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think buying eyewear online is

about the same as hiring someone who will work right next to you every day for 2-3 years by seeing only a picture and a resume, and never having a face-to-face interview.

Disussion.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's okay if you have very low expectations.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think it's a smart thing to do if you have a low IQ.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    uh no...I think it's more like seeing ONLY the picture. At least a resume purports to tell what the person will do for you...specifically. An online listing tells only what the frame will do for SOME people.

The picture's all you really have.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think it is inevitable...dang. I think people will get their eyes examined online also... eventually. ...a little autorefraction, a little digital fundus photography, a little field screening...Voila...spectacle Rx. If you have a problem, or a real pathology turns up, then pay through the nose to see doctor or optician.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I think buying eyewear online is ................................

I think buying eyewear online is................................

..........................depending on the financial status of the consumer or the desire just to purchase cheaper for some. The continued war like bombardment by on-line opticals is showing results and their website traffic ratings are going up. It is lacking the personal service the professional ECP can give but one is also not charged for it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... it's not on it's way, it's here. Just like one hour service, fastcast, BOGO, wal-mart, RK, Warby Parker, internet cl sales and every other boogeyman that was supposed to run us all out of business as surely as sunrise. I'm still here - aren't you?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    .....never going to be mainstream. I feel that our area is much more about our service than the actual product. Of course there will be some people that will stop buying at a regular retail to buy exclusively online, but it is the same people that will always choose the lowest price possible and probably would not be a regular costumer anyway.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think buying eyewear online is...

anything but sexy.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think buying eyewear online is......
    ......just a new choice of buying eyeglasses in following cases:

1. For people in tight budget, but have heard from friends via Facebook or Twitter or in the office that online optical just works
    2. For those who buy hundreds $ glasses from ECPs as the major pair, while they also need to grab pairs of cheaper fashion glasses to match outfits. The main reason is that these cheap ones are just optically fine, probably the material and workmanship of the frames is not as fine as from ECPs' big name frames. Mainly female customers in this case.

These women just want to be SEXIER by wearing online glasses to match their outfits.

3. For those CL wearers to have the back-up pair used after getting-up in the morning, or after shower at night, or during weekend at home not wishing to wear CL.
    4. For those who feel being "ripped off" by local opticians or ECPs for so many years, and now they want to leave ECPs whatever their budget or financial status is.
    5. For those people who just immigrated from developing nations where glasses are sold at 25 dollars then and now. They are not used to buy glasses in hundreds of dollars.
    6. And for those who just simply like online optical and all other possible reasons.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ehhh!

1Do you feel riiped off by:
    your car dealer?
    Jeweler
    Appliance Guy
    Itunes?
    Apple?
    The cost of a vacation?

Why (always) eyewear?

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper eyewear online is...................... anything but sexy............................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

I think buying eyewear online is......................anything but sexy.

...............would that indicate that buying it at a B&M ECP is sexy ????????????? ...........specially if the optician has 40 years expirience

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    My opinion is that if you aren't better than your competition, why bother? If you can't justify why you're more expensive, then you shouldn't be.

Similarly, I couldn't do my job if I didn't feel I was delivering a better product and service than my competitors... but I think I do.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Ehhh!

1Do you feel riiped off by:
    your car dealer? Car dealers make less than hundreds of dollars for a basic car
    Jeweler Jeweler is Jeweler
    Appliance Guy Not high mark-up
    Itunes? 99 cents for a song is far more than fair
    Apple? Apple? Yes a little bit, but only Apple can make Apple, while many brands are making eyewear.
    The cost of a vacation? Most of the vacation is very cheap already.

Why (always) eyewear? People like to point eyewear as usual, sorry

B

See above

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I know I'm going against the grain here, but I think buying online is a great idea, especially if you can't find what you need in the stores near you. I got into the habit when the frames got that terrific B width a few years ago. I have a small face and narrow PD, and could find absolutely nothing that fit me unless I wanted my glasses to say Sponge Bob or Barbie on them. Even the 3 pieces were too big. So I looked online and found just what I wanted - a 3 piece with 41 lenses. I actually paid more than I would have if I'd gotten them here, because we get a good discount, but it was well worth it to have glasses that fit. Since then I've gotten several other pairs and been happy with all of them. What's available online is a broad spectrum, just like the range found in local stores, going from cheap, poor quality, to higher priced great quality. It's all in what your willing to pay for, but they all cost less online,

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    I know I'm going against the grain here, but I think buying online is a great idea, especially if you can't find what you need in the stores near you. I got into the habit when the frames got that terrific B width a few years ago. I have a small face and narrow PD, and could find absolutely nothing that fit me unless I wanted my glasses to say Sponge Bob or Barbie on them. Even the 3 pieces were too big. So I looked online and found just what I wanted - a 3 piece with 41 lenses. I actually paid more than I would have if I'd gotten them here, because we get a good discount, but it was well worth it to have glasses that fit. Since then I've gotten several other pairs and been happy with all of them. What's available online is a broad spectrum, just like the range found in local stores, going from cheap, poor quality, to higher priced great quality. It's all in what your willing to pay for, but they all cost less online,
    right, but then who will warranty/fix/adjust them? i've always felt alright with paying the extra to have a person to blame was worth it besides, you only get one set of eyes.

we're also fortunate that as a B&M we can do special orders for people. so for someone with your size problems we can order things in. we also have a santinelli 1200 so we can do custom shapes/sizes for hard to fit patients when it comes to rimless. not all opticals have those sorts of resources though we're just fortunate i suppose!!

With online ordering i find that there are always good/bad reviews, and nothing in between!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well, (Mr. Consumer), since you (ahem) "work" in the field (you know....the "lab"), it may look, at first blush like a great idea. If that were the case however, you would not have to be hanging out here looking for information.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course, you knew that a 3-piece mounting allows you to make the lenses any size you choose, right?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by judy canty View Post
    of course, you knew that a 3-piece mounting allows you to make the lenses any size you choose, right?
    exactly!

B

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Well, (Mr. Consumer), since you (ahem) "work" in the field (you know....the "lab"), it may look, at first blush like a great idea. If that were the case however, you would not have to be hanging out here looking for information.
    That's awesome... Later or sooner you get caught.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Of course, you knew that a 3-piece mounting allows you to make the lenses any size you choose, right?
    +1
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Johns! Let's go in 50/50 on a shop in St. Louis. It looks like nobody there knows how to re-size a 3 piece mount. We'll make a killing! I already got a name for it..."Johns24/7". That way you get top billing for a change!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Well I see I pushed you buttons with that one. Why not stop being defensive and accept that onliners are here to stay and will probably continue to garner market share. Many people in the business have shifted to online and are doing quite well. Forget about the sour grapes and find out how you can fit into the new paradigm. And yes, I know a 3 piece can be made in any lens size, and anyone who doesn't work in the business would know that too if they had ever bought one. But I was looking for a standard frame and was not inspired by what we had on display because they were too big. The point was that going online made seeing many more options possible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think buying eyewear online has:

created a two tiered sytem of dispensing that amounts to "constructive deregulation" .

The memberships have effectively been "sold down the drain" by their own inactions and that of their governance. The licensing model can no longer work. Those that fight for education and certification, although they are quite correct to do so , they will not be able to overcome the apathy and present infrastructures unless they can find a way to sweep clean the old and start over with a completely new model driven by an involved membership, not those that seek the silence of membership.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I see I pushed you buttons with that one. Why not stop being defensive and accept that onliners are here to stay and will probably continue to garner market share. Many people in the business have shifted to online and are doing quite well. Forget about the sour grapes and find out how you can fit into the new paradigm. And yes, I know a 3 piece can be made in any lens size, and anyone who doesn't work in the business would know that too if they had ever bought one. But I was looking for a standard frame and was not inspired by what we had on display because they were too big. The point was that going online made seeing many more options possible.
    Or instead of going online you could have looked at more brands for your store. After all there might be some customers with the same issue you had. I am assuming you didn't direct those people to go online and purchase their eyewear online right?

Thread Information