Thread: Interview question

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Interview question

I have been looking for a new job and I have been selective as to where I apply.I want to work someplace open decent hours , decent pay and benefits.I applied for a job I really wanted. I got the interview and the questions they ask seem to make me think you have to BS your way into get a job. I think that maybe a problem for me. I am pretty honest and tend to be straight forward. I have no trouble selling myself but questions like: What is your greatest weakness? I know I am suppose to BS and turn some stupid weakness into a strength like: I work to hard or care to much. They know people are going to BS right?How do they sort out the truth and how is an honest guy suppose to move up in this world?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    How about: "I have a hard time saying 'No.' to worthy causes, so I end up taking on more things than I can comfortably handle."
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The example of the question you were asked is common, and has been for some time. It is designed to see how you respond to some level of self-reflection. Give it some thought. It will all depend on the interviewer, but if they know what to look for, questions like this can tell the employer a lot about you. Most adademic degree programs now have some level of human resource component, and graduates are well prepared to answer such questions. My program requires students to complete mock job interviews with real peole from industry, and questions like this are the norm. I wish you good luck in your search, and if I can help prepare you in some way, please let me know.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My younger brother, a former vp for a fortune 500 company has many stories relating to some of the questions he asked when interviewing. One of his favorite was: "When you are at a party, and you leave the room, what do people say about you?" There was one guy, who was runner up for the job, and his reply was, "They say, that guy's a real jerk!"

He didn't get the job.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    .... One of his favorite was: "When you are at a party, and you leave the room, what do people say about you?" There was one guy, who was runner up for the job, and his reply was, "They say, that guy's a real jerk!"

He didn't get the job.
    So.......I shouldn't mention that they say "Thank God!" when they mistakenly think I left the room?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The politically incorrect response: "Hate to see him go; love to watch him leave!"
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The question was actually "According to your manager what is your greatest strength and what is your weak point". I told her that according to my last review I knew exactly what she would say. My customer service skills are my best skills. My handwriting is my greatest weakness.

In all honesty I am glad I told her I have bad handwriting. I figure if I get the job they already know about it.It really is that bad.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    The question was actually "According to your manager what is your greatest strength and what is your weak point". I told her that according to my last review I knew exactly what she would say. My customer service skills are my best skills. My handwriting is my greatest weakness.

In all honesty I am glad I told her I have bad handwriting. I figure if I get the job they already know about it.It really is that bad.
    Sounds like a fair answer to me!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file tamara27berry's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In my own opinion, being honest with interview questions is just right. Be frank and practice to deliver your answers in 1.5-2 minutes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I was a practice manager for many years and I hated when people gave me the "expected" answers. It's always best to be exactly who you are and say what you believe in. It shows you have integrity when you're hired and six months down the road, you're still the same "you" they interviewed. Just my opinion....

Thread Information