Thread: Digital Eye Lab question

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Digital Eye Lab question

I have been looking at using a new lab (to me) Digital eye lab a division of Optical Distributor Group
    Does anyone use them? How do you like them and is there anything I should know??????

Robert
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use them and for the most part, I am really pleased with them!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see that you take a while in deciding to try a new lab!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...igital-Eye-Lab

What reservations do you have?

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not a "lab switcher" unless the quality goes away. I am just trying to reduce my cost of goods and keeping the quality of the product as well as I have it now.
    I have great lab, however being only one office, I don't get the discounts on goods like the mulit store offices get, which I do understand. One must think very hard
    about switching labs, been there and done that.
    I'm glad your happy with Digital eye lab. I may try them for a few jobs and go from there.
    Robert
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    I am not a "lab switcher" unless the quality goes away. I am just trying to reduce my cost of goods and keeping the quality of the product as well as I have it now.
    I have great lab, however being only one office, I don't get the discounts on goods like the mulit store offices get, which I do understand. One must think very hard
    about switching labs, been there and done that.
    I'm glad your happy with Digital eye lab. I may try them for a few jobs and go from there.
    Robert
    Forward this post to your present lab. They will have a chance to be competitive, and if not, change.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are in Oregon so you do calculate your shipping charges on top of the lens charge right? There is a great lab close to you in Washington called Single Vision Express, talk to them. I don't know their pricing but I know the quality is one of the best.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you still want to try Digital Eye Lab PM me. I will get you connected for some discount.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    You are in Oregon so you do calculate your shipping charges on top of the lens charge right? There is a great lab close to you in Washington called Single Vision Express, talk to them. I don't know their pricing but I know the quality is one of the best.
    You get different shipping charges from your labs based on how far you are from them? Interesting...All my local labs charge just as much (or more) than labs thousands of miles from me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    They are a good and reliable lab.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That's the lab that makes our RX jobs for Reptile sunglasses. They do good work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm somewhat biased here. DEL is, by far, the best overall lab I have ever used. When doing really tailored FF lenses, no company offers the flexibity that DEL does in ordering. That said, I do prefer other lens designs for niche/stronger Rxs, such as Shamir and Zeiss. Seiko Perfas has also become a good alternate for my Comfort 2 wearers.

AR quality is improving from all labs, and I think you'll see essentailly a two tier quality offering from all in the future.

B

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You get different shipping charges from your labs based on how far you are from them? Interesting...All my local labs charge just as much (or more) than labs thousands of miles from me.
    I was referring to your shipping charge for the POFs... Also, some local labs offer free courier service.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found identity optical in Indiana to be amazing.
    Jp

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found del lacking experience, they have state of the art equipment but had a difficult time mounting, gaps, lose lenses and poor final. They would always redo it but I want it looking good and fitting right the first time. They have updated there online ordering and there customer service people are good especially Equana.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I totally agree. We edge almost all of our own. The lenses we get are great from identity and the AR is good so far. Highly recommend. They are weak with drill mounts, however, fine with any plastic. If you edge yourself then the lenses they produce are top notch. My doc loves them just as much as his unique and Auto 2 hes had.
    Last edited by globaljp; 01-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    I have been looking at using a new lab (to me) Digital eye lab a division of Optical Distributor Group
    Does anyone use them? How do you like them and is there anything I should know??????

Robert
    I did a pair of PAL for the doc I worked with just a few months ago to have him compare to his shamir autograph IIs and he really enjoys them. It was fairly fast and Dan was very easy to work with. From a price perspective it's a bargain if the patient is happy.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We are Rx lab from china. Anyone who are interesting?
    We are Optical lens supplier, Supply all kinds product(bulk and Rx lens in unifocal,bifocal,multifocal lens) with good price, fast shipment, best service!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I can vouch for Single Vision Express. Sharpstick777 is the rep for them and they are also a distributor for Visionwarehouse progressives. If you do not cut your own, you will not find a better lab that offers personal service, exceptional quality and unreal prices. If you edge, talk with me!
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So glad to hear that many of you have had great success with DEL. Their price, high-tech workflow, and private label lenses compelled us to give the a try. Additionally, they were willing to work with us with some special requests when we signed up with them about a year ago. Over the year, though, we've really tapered off our business with them. Despite having had some really good experiences (pricing, willingness to try to some creative "out of the box" stuff, and their MOD Pal lens), as of the past 5 months the quality and relationship has been "not so good". We've seen increased quality issues, sub-par follow-through on requests, sparse visits from our rep, and numerous unauthorized changes in lens design by their lab techs. I have nothing concrete to back up the following data, but a rep whom I trust said they've heard similar stories lately about DEL from several others. This same rep recently heard rumors about a suspected ownership change. Again, nothing verifiable about these rumor (I don't want to stir up any trouble for them), but if there is a transition underway, it would explain a lot of these issues. I'd give them an A minus for our first six months and a C plus for the past six months. I hope they get their ducks in a row...for their sake.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We started using DEL after the first of the year when the Doc here became a member of iDOCS. I use them for Shamir and their MOD lens line. Fine quality and fast turn around. I can't speak to their edging, as I do my own edging and drilling.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information