Thread: Renaissance Man/Woman

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Renaissance Man/Woman

Are you certified,trained to do or have a degree in anything else besides opticianry (including interesting and/or boring hobbies)?

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MS in environmental health and safety management, BA in Mass media, herbalist, naturopath (old school), nutritionist, musician, rapier fighter and brewer. Oh, worked for years in the environmental activism field..... probably a few other things that I have forgotten.

Basically I am very curious

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a brief career as a professional line cook which lead to an invitation to study under the great Adolfo Munoz of Toledo, Spain. Didn't end up going but I have the chops and I can make a killer paella. My husband is well fed.

I did go overseas to study Art History in Italy for a while. I started my first gig at a Wisconsin eyeglass chain in the lab to pay for my education; my curiosity of optics and the science led me to pursue my optical career.

I've thought about going back for my art history degree just for kick and giggles.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AA in accounting, and a bartender. Also did final inspection on the wind turbine towers!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took art classes for over 15 years. I'm pretty good with a pencil. I also took my first gun safety course and shot my first hand guns. According to the targets, I'm a natural. Who knew?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a BA in Ministry (get behind the pulpit from time to time). I like to draw. I would like to take up archery. Spend most of my time at church or with my family

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have a Doctor of Nursing degree, still work doing free and street clinics, disaster relief and as a mid-wife. Also have an MBA and an unrelated BS in Engineering. I'm also trained and have worked as a diamond cutter.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I have a Doctor of Nursing degree, still work doing free and street clinics, disaster relief and as a mid-wife. Also have an MBA and an unrelated BS in Engineering. I'm also trained and have worked as a diamond cutter.
    how does one get trained to be a diamond cutter?? that sounds neat :)

i have an art history/business degree ... fell into optical with a good opportunity and by chance, never would have considered it as a career unless it had been put into my head!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    BFA in Acting, MFA in Theatre Pedagogy. I specialize in Shakespeare, musicals, and developing new works of theatre. I've also worked as a professional youth minister and director of contemporary worship. And I was a freelance sports writer for a couple years.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BA in psychology. Worked in optical all through college. Graduated and became a social worker. Returned to optical after having kids so that I could be home during the day. I am an avid motorcyclist, Lions Club Secretary, and board member of my local Education Foundation.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have spent my life diligently trying to be a world-class underachiever . Judging from these posts, I have succeeded at my mission beyond all expectations.

Y'all make me feel like a slug! (It's ok...I'm fine with it!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BFA from the Rhode Island School of Design - Ceramics/Art ed. major. I have worked as an art teacher, potter, artist in residence at an historic museum here in NY, technical writer for magazines, and post-grad studies in Education Policy at SUNY. Educator at a college in Manhattan for 12 years in their ophthalmic dispensing program. Also - run sled dogs, was a ski instructor for 6 years, and am currently working PT for a professional testing company that specializes in licensing for opticians. What a life! Enjoyed every minute! How I became an optician is another long story.
    Last edited by SharonB; 12-07-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: need to add
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I have spent my life diligently trying to be a world-class underachiever . Judging from these posts, I have succeeded at my mission beyond all expectations.

Y'all make me feel like a slug! (It's ok...I'm fine with it!)
    yeah, well, the thing I love to do, more than ANYTHING in the whole world is lay in bed and read with a cat. So 99% of the time I am a slug.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    BS Biology, AS Fire Science Technologies. Side job and hobby is detailing cars. My rides have no swirls no do the rides of my customers.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I studied music performance (percussion) in college for quite a while. I'm currently working toward a BS in Biology. I have also studied meteorology quite extensively as well. In my spare time I compose music for all instruments (I play Drums, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Cello, Trombone)...I also play drums with various local groups. What can I say? I'm indecisive...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BA in Choral Music Education from University of Maryland....turns out I could make more money selling eyeglasses than direction Church or high school choirs...but I'd bet i would have been happier.....
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information