Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Consumers Feel an Emotional Connection to Eyewear

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Making Consumers Feel an Emotional Connection to Eyewear

The frame companies have tried by licensing brands

The WP make a style trendy

ECPs tend to believe that their clients have an emotional connection to them.

What other ways can you think of?

Discussion

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you yank their specs off their face, steal them, and run away.................the consumer will have an emotional connection to those specs!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    always solving problems eh fezz
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    always solving problems eh fezz
    I do what I can!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lately with the increase of retro styles and large plastic frames, I've adopted the term 'stylized' when it comes to talking with patients about frames. It used to be that most people wanted to just look good in their glasses. But I think good is such a relative term. So I've been really playing up the concept of "Do you have the personality and lifestyle to wear that frame? Do you OWN that look?" If not, than no, that oversized black plastic frame doesn't look good on your 5'2" 100 lb blonde body. But if you can work it and own it and like it, than yeah, it looks great.
    Last edited by optilady1; 12-05-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: grammer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that most consumers do feel an emotional connection to their eyewear. Look at how long they labor over choosing a frame. They spend most of their emotional energy on their appearance.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good point. I really like that concept, optilady.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does the cost of the spectacles directly relate to how emotionally connected a consumer is/or will become to their eyewear?

The more expensive = The more emotionally connected?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Does the cost of the spectacles directly relate to how emotionally connected a consumer is/or will become to their eyewear?

The more expensive = the greater the expectations

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Only if the emotion is guilt from spending more than they wanted to.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    I think that most consumers do feel an emotional connection to their eyewear. Look at how long they labor over choosing a frame. They spend most of their emotional energy on their appearance.
    Most, but not all. At least once a week I have a patient who just wants me to pick something for them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Most, but not all. At least once a week I have a patient who just wants me to pick something for them.
    That would be so cooool!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always get that. I just sit a person down at the dispensing desk and I whirl around the office picking stuff out for them. For the most part people trust me to make them look good and see well. :)

Emotional connection? Definitely. Sometimes it's hard to fit a new frame on someone (especially teenagers, believe it or not) because they loooove their current frame; it's the best look they have ever hard. I don't mind using POF's unless I think they are going to bust during edging so if someone is happy with their current frame then God bless. I don't like to rock that boat.

I really love people who "own their look" like Optilady mentioned. They are comfortable with their identity as "a person who wears glasses" and they like having multiple pairs to go with different outfits. I like that confidence. I have a fabulous South African patient who is tiny with cropped silver Audrey Hepburn hair. She is a flight attendant with Lufthansa (sp?) so she is constantly in contact with people from all over the world. She wears a MASSIVE Dior frame that covers half of her face but she rocks that look like nobody's business. She told me she was a meek, conservative young lady and it's only now that she is older that she has decided to own her fabulousness! Her frames get a lot of attention and she eats it up. I wish she could give lessons. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    People have always and will always feel some sort of emotional connection to their eyewear. The face is how the majority of humans (excluding the blind and those with certain psychiatric conditions) perceive one another, and a pair of glasses inextricably alters the wearer's face in some way. Whether that emotional connection is positive or negative is up to the wearer and his/her own perceptions of that eyewear; but we don't need retailers or manufacturers using campaigns or gimmicks to induce a false response. It's already there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I always get that. I just sit a person down at the dispensing desk and I whirl around the office picking stuff out for them. For the most part people trust me to make them look good and see well. :)

Emotional connection? Definitely. Sometimes it's hard to fit a new frame on someone (especially teenagers, believe it or not) because they loooove their current frame; it's the best look they have ever hard. I don't mind using POF's unless I think they are going to bust during edging so if someone is happy with their current frame then God bless. I don't like to rock that boat.

I really love people who "own their look" like Optilady mentioned. They are comfortable with their identity as "a person who wears glasses" and they like having multiple pairs to go with different outfits. I like that confidence. I have a fabulous South African patient who is tiny with cropped silver Audrey Hepburn hair. She is a flight attendant with Lufthansa (sp?) so she is constantly in contact with people from all over the world. She wears a MASSIVE Dior frame that covers half of her face but she rocks that look like nobody's business. She told me she was a meek, conservative young lady and it's only now that she is older that she has decided to own her fabulousness! Her frames get a lot of attention and she eats it up. I wish she could give lessons. :)
    that is awesome!! we have an older lady (about 80) who rocks some craaaaaaaaaaaazy gucci glasses ... and loves them ... says shes old and she can wear whatever she pleases!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It would seem that the emotional connection is only to how they look. I guess that's job #1 to make them feel like they are beautiful/handsome in their new glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Lately with the increase of retro styles and large plastic frames, I've adopted the term 'stylized' when it comes to talking with patients about frames. It used to be that most people wanted to just look good in their glasses. But I think good is such a relative term. So I've been really playing up the concept of "Do you have the personality and lifestyle to wear that frame? Do you OWN that look?" If not, than no, that oversized black plastic frame doesn't look good on your 5'2" 100 lb blonde body. But if you can work it and own it and like it, than yeah, it looks great.

I like that idea optilady....'stylized'....I'm not actively dispensing anymore, but too often people came in asking for looks that did not compliment their features. When they gave me an actor's name, I always tried to say, "what you want is to look as 'striking' in your eyewear as they do in their's, but because your features are different, it may not be that same frame that gives you that effect!" Lol, sometimes it worked.

I've only started seeing more 'retro' styles on public persona since I retired....some look really awesome in them.....TO ME, some do not fit their features at all. I often wonder what their Optician was thinking. Lol, probably about 'giving them what they want!' But I'd much rather help people see the 'flaws' in a less than cosmetic fit, and turn them to a better look, than just say 'sure, here's what you asked for'.....otherwise, someone else down the line could point out the flaws I didn't, and I lose credibility.
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It wouldn't hurt to have more celebs like Tina Fey, Sarah Palin and Johnny Galecki sporting their their specs on TV.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It wouldn't hurt to have more celebs like Tina Fey, Sarah Palin and Johnny Galecki sporting their their specs on TV.
    Eh. It also wouldn't hurt for the most eyeglass-friendly show on TV, Galecki's Big Bang Theory to have some variety in their eyewear choices instead of essentially putting all three bespectacled characters in identical frames.

But getting back on-topic, I think it's equally important for your patients to have an emotional connection with their optician as their glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ....I think it's equally important for your patients to have an emotional connection with their optician as their glasses.

TOTALLY Agree! Of course, on most shows, they are using eyewear to 'set' the personality of the character more so, than helping them LOOK their best!
    Mother Theresa - MRS. "CoolOptican"

Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do. —
    James Harvey Robinson

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If only the optician had the influence of hair dressers

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The frame companies have tried by licensing brands

The WP make a style trendy

ECPs tend to believe that their clients have an emotional connection to them.

What other ways can you think of?

Discussion

B
    I think what Barry might be asking, or implying, is how do we get consumers to make the emotional connection in the same sense they do with a designer handbag. A new iPhone. Or a new watch. The emotionally driven purchases, not the because Doc said my Rx changed, or the because it's been 2.7 years purchase.
    That is the real question. How? I know we all have plenty of our "best clients" who do this, buy majority of them ate there for their checkup so to speak. I'd like to see thoughts on how we make buying eyeglasses in the same light as the new shoes?

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My Experience says ''Emotional Attachment is directly proportional to Age of the Customer /Patient ''.
    More the Age ,More He/She gets attached ( emotionally ) to his/her Eyewear.....and not only Eyewear but with everything he/she own or use,epecially if it is Expensive or Unique in any way.
    I Met plenty of Customers who own 20 Year old Frame of Cartier or Rayban Aviator Sunglass & when you mention them ''This mod is quite old ,they proudly says ''Yes and they love them ''Statement shows their emotional attachment to this but am sure they are more attached to that piece NOW then at the time of Purchase.
    If you seeling QUALITY EYEWEAR ,which you believe would not need Repair soon or would last in Fashion for a couple of years or more ........Customer is bound to get Emotionally Attached to it for sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still think that you have to associate eyewear with something you want to be. Smart. Sexy.Reasonable. Rich. Status. Athelete. Sporty.etc. Not everyone who purchases Oakley has a Fit Atheletic Body and yet they purchase this one product with the hope that it will make others perceive them to be sporty, fit and atheletic.Same is true of sports cars.
    Emotional attachment is illogical(thanks Mr. Spock). If we want people to desire eyewear for anything other than better vision, eyewear must somehow be associated with how they want to be perceived by others.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still think that you have to associate eyewear with something you want to be. Smart. Sexy.Reasonable. Rich. Status. Athelete. Sporty.etc. Not everyone who purchases Oakley has a Fit Atheletic Body and yet they purchase this one product with the hope that it will make others perceive them to be sporty, fit and atheletic.Same is true of sports cars.
    Emotional attachment is illogical(thanks Mr. Spock). If we want people to desire eyewear for anything other than better vision, eyewear must somehow be associated with how they want to be perceived by others.
    I concure. I just wish that people would have the guts to wear what they want instead of what they think they should. I hate conformityin relation to fashion. If I had a nickle for every time someone told me, "I like your frame, and it looks good on you, but I couldn't wear it." Why? Does your head work differently that this frame won't stay on? If you like it, and it fits your face and nose, than get it. I feel so sad when I see a gaggle of girls and I think to my self, did I just drink a whole bottle of vodka, and there is really only one 22 year old in skinny jeans, a Coach purse, Uggs and a Holister shirt?

Thread Information