Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edgers

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Edgers

I have used a kappa edger for the past 10 yrs. I need to purchase a new edger because Essilor won't refurbish a edger that is more than 10 years old. Looked at Blue but didn't like the 40 K charge. What type of edger do I get. Santinelli, Gerber Coburn Excelon, refurbished edger from Vision Systems. Vision Systems have a Santinelli refurbished for 15K. Drilling or not. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mark

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRilling is a must, as far as I'm concerned. Santinelli has year end specials. Give them a call.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like Essilor is getting to be like Lux, greedy!! Maybe find someone else to refurbish your edger. I agree with Barry. I have used Santinelli for years and has been great machine. Really precise on quality but cutting time was slow. I heard they are a lot faster now. Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Can I ask, what is the best edger for high-wrap jobs?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ME-1200 has the best wrap system; it is better than the MEI and I have demonstrated the work to 2 major users of the MEI's. The edge finish on the ME-1200 in a high curve is amazing. They just released a new tracer that make the work even better. I have the beta version of a trivex version and it is giving us perfect work every time. We do 70% drills and many 8 base wraps with amazing accuracy and cosmetics. The machine is not fast, but it does deliver a perfect product.

I just got a message from a manager of a major sunglass company to do a +4.00 -4.00 for a reps kid in an 8 base frame their lab won't do. This is a compliment to my lab guy and the edger we use along with the lenses supplied by Pech. The total package is what really ensures quality work and the edger is a part of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Forgive my ignorance but I have only used Essilor edgers. Who would I contact to discuss purchasing the edger you recommended? Thanks very much for your help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I am a fan of dry cut technology. I have a 7E and 7E HLP both with drill and groove. Great siizing and bevel/fit quality. Negatives..cost of having to replace blades & vac bags, noise from vac and cycle times on thick poly/high index. Does ok on wrap jobs with special profile blades. Consider your mix of work to determine which edger works best. Just wanted to add my 2 cents..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I have only used Essilor edgers. Who would I contact to discuss purchasing the edger you recommended? Thanks very much for your help.
    http://bog.co.uk/html/contact.html

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Do you have drilling

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Me? Yes, I need the edger to drill.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlindy View Post
    I have used a kappa edger for the past 10 yrs. I need to purchase a new edger because Essilor won't refurbish a edger that is more than 10 years old. Looked at Blue but didn't like the 40 K charge. What type of edger do I get. Santinelli, Gerber Coburn Excelon, refurbished edger from Vision Systems. Vision Systems have a Santinelli refurbished for 15K. Drilling or not. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mark
    If you can get Mr Blue for $40K I would get it!
    You will not be able to come close to this performance for this $$$.
    Are you happy with your Kappa? I am sure you can trade yours or make Essilor upgrade yours if when you buy a new edger from them
    You can also get a new CTD Kappa... but I dont think you would save much.....

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ditto Robert. 7Ehlp. Check with Carl Tela at Vision Systems for refurbished.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Best edger on the market for an optical store is ME1200 hands down...

Craig yes ME1200 is great edger but there is not way it is better than MEI on high wrap jobs. I have used both MEI Bisphera and 641 as well as ME1200. I wouldn't even compare them. That's why wholesale labs invest on multiple MEI systems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post

Craig yes ME1200 is great edger but there is not way it is better than MEI on high wrap jobs. I have used both MEI Bisphera and 641 as well as ME1200. I wouldn't even compare them. That's why wholesale labs invest on multiple MEI systems.
    better than mr blue?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes Robert_S in my opinion and experience it is much better than Mr. Blue

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    great. thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    thanks craig and peyes as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile I have beta version and it i amazing.

It is now set up to deliver a higher quality finish in an office. The mei is a lab animal, but the new Nidek dry cut will do the same work without a computer degree to set it up. The software is user friendly on the Nidek products and that is a major advantage.

My machine is the only one set up for the new trivex system and wrap system; they have one improvement to make and it is already unbelievable.

You can send me a job to see what it can do if you so desire. We have learned a lot about it by running weird work for some friends of mine with MEI's and the final edge quality is smooth with no chatter marks.

Craig- I still need to get a new 8 base tracer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    better than mr blue?
    The ME1200 is far superior and more expensive, but I do not know a person who prefers Blu to the ME if the price were equal.

Get out the checkbook, but it is a great machine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The ME1200 is far superior and more expensive, but I do not know a person who prefers Blu to the ME if the price were equal.

Get out the checkbook, but it is a great machine.
    Far more expensive?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig trust me I know my edgers pretty well. I love ME1200 but it is not better than MEI in any means. As far as sending you a job, sure why not. I need to let you know though I work as a sales manager for a wholesale lab and our MEI is customized to process really high powers for wrapped frames. If I prove you my work looks much better than yours would you open an account with us?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig trust me I know my edgers pretty well. I love ME1200 but it is not better than MEI in any means. As far as sending you a job, sure why not. I need to let you know though I work as a sales manager for a wholesale lab and our MEI is customized to process really high powers for wrapped frames. If I prove you my work looks much better than yours would you open an account with us?
    How can you be so sure when you have not seen the machine? How many jobs have you personally run on the MEI or programmed? Who customized your machine that is differs from the standard machine?
    What lab do you work with and how many machines do you run?

Send it over your way and we will do the same job; we will post pictures for the world to see. I will run the job and ask that you do the same.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doing one job better than Santineli does not mean that all 300 jobs a day from MEI come out the same way!
    On the other hand (correct me if I am wrong) all 10 jobs with high curve that comes out from Craigs ME are perfect....

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    How can you be so sure when you have not seen the machine? How many jobs have you personally run on the MEI or programmed? Who customized your machine that is differs from the standard machine?
    What lab do you work with and how many machines do you run?

Send it over your way and we will do the same job; we will post pictures for the world to see. I will run the job and ask that you do the same.
    Let's put the Jobs per day on the back burner, I would like to see the resulted pics of a test such as the one mentioned above. Whether you do 10 a day, 100 a day or 1000 a day the quality should be the same on them all. I think the world of Craig through his posts but GokhanSF seems extremely confident. Maybe we end up seeing a tie? If so then we can use the numbers game and cost of the machines break the tie.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have received hundreds of jobs from Pech, Maui Jim and Oakley from the MEI edgers; the finish quality is not as good as the Me-1200. I have also seen the work from Zeiss on their MEI's.
    The MEI uses a blade while the ME-1200 uses a wheel to step bevel and the finish quality is superior from the wheel system; there is no chatter marks and the set up takes 2 seconds per frame.

I hope this helps explain the different finish quality. Next time you get a job off an MEI, look at the chatter marks on the white edges.

Craig

Thread Information