Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silicone Contacts

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Last week Only I fit A Young Patient with BIOFINITY SPH ( RE -3.00 DS , LE -3.25 DS ) having the SAME RX as you have ( RE -3.00 DS LE -3.00 DS -0.75 DC X 85 ).
    Vision RE 20/20 , LE 20/20 P........Comfort : Fantastic.
    Yes ,She has Corneal Astigmatism in Left Eye But She never Liked Toric ( Tried all available & NO SUCCESS ).
    She said ''Thank You So Much for Finding The Best at last ''
    If you can manage 20/20 RE , 20/20 P LE....You too may give it a TRY.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I couldn't wear the one day moist for more than a few hours. I felt like I had a cloudy foggy piece of rubber in my eyes. I haven't tried true eyes in a long time but dont remember what they felt like.
    Acuvue one day moist is a standard hema lens, and TruEye is a SiHy. So, if anything, a True Eye should feel more rubbery. But it's not just about the lens material. JNJ claims to put surface treatments on it's lenses to make them more wettable, so, somehow, that has to get figured into the equation. Maybe these treatments work, maybe they are hooey. I tend to judge them on patient response...which is subjective, but what else do we have to go on?...a company sponsored study?

Also remember, people have different tear chemistry, osmolarity, etc. One woman's medicine might be another's poison. I don't buy into the idea that one brand of lens is best for everyone's comfort problems...I have my favorites to be sure, but there are plenty of instances where things that usually work...don't.

In my mind, one days are best for a number of reasons...1) every time you put one on, it is clean and sterile. You don't carry over germs, deposits and other issues from the day before (just like every time you use a Q-tip or Kleenex). 2) the lenses are packaged in a basically chemical free saline solution, not a multi-purpose cleaning/disinfecting solution. When you store a lens in multi-purpose, it basically becomes a time release capsule in the eye the next day.

If it weren't for cost, we would all be wearing one day lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed. We fit one days for the most part.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    For my 2 cents, how about Proclear (Omafilcon A)? I went down the same path as you are on, and when I discovered Proclear I though I'd died and gone to heaven. I couldn't tolerate the contacts you have tried for more than a few hours, and even during that time they drifted off axis and my vision was bad half the time. They dried out in a few hours and felt like sandpaper in my eyes. They dried out so badly that they lifted off my eyed! Now put in the Proclears when I get out the shower in the morning and taking them out is the last thing I do at night. Usually have them in 16 hours a day, and during that 16 hours I feel as though there are no lenses in my eyes. The only time I notice them is when encountering a quick change in ambient humidity, and even then, they adjust very quickly. (I have not connection with the company that makes Procear, honest!)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    For my 2 cents, how about Proclear (Omafilcon A)? I went down the same path as you are on, and when I discovered Proclear I though I'd died and gone to heaven. I couldn't tolerate the contacts you have tried for more than a few hours, and even during that time they drifted off axis and my vision was bad half the time. They dried out in a few hours and felt like sandpaper in my eyes. They dried out so badly that they lifted off my eyed! Now put in the Proclears when I get out the shower in the morning and taking them out is the last thing I do at night. Usually have them in 16 hours a day, and during that 16 hours I feel as though there are no lenses in my eyes. The only time I notice them is when encountering a quick change in ambient humidity, and even then, they adjust very quickly. (I have not connection with the company that makes Procear, honest!)
    Agree with the Proclear recommendation. It was the first (only ? )contact lens approved as a treatment for dry eyes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmmm. I'll have to try them. By the way, thanks every one for all the input. I never dreamed when I started this thread that so many people would give their advice and opinions.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    And while I'm at it, I keep the Clear Care solution I've cleaned them with the previous night capped up for re-wetting them (which I only did twice in the past year because something got in my eye and I had to rinse the lens). We give out Opti-free here, but I think it is horrible stuff that many people cannot tolerate because of the preservative, and anyway it's not good to stick preservative in your eyes every day. The left over Clear Care solution is smooth as silk.

As to dry eyes, women lose hormones way before menopause and often have trouble with contact lenses in their 30s and 40s, particularly thin women who have stopped producing enough estrogen in their ovaries. In women with more fat on them, this is not a problem because estrogen continues to be made in fat cells. If you are relatively thin and having difficulty with dry eyes, it may be a symptom of hormone deficiency that you should address. Optimal balanced levels of hormones are what protect us (men and women) from the ravages of aging and degenerative disease. When you lose your hormones, you are in big trouble unless you choose to replace them with bioidentical hormones.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Gas perm!
    I agree that RGP lenses may be an excellent choice. Remember the old CL adage...

"The drier the eye, the harder the lense".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would consider a gas perm, but I'm not sure I could handle the feeling.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I would consider a gas perm, but I'm not sure I could handle the feeling.
    Therein lies the rub with RGPs...nobody want to wear them anymore, and I don't blame them, but I've got RGP patients who have been wearing them in one form or another for 30 years and they rarely complain about dry eyes.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

16 hours a day in Proclear will definately create a hypoxic cornea...wouldn't be surprised to see some Neovascularization if not now, but in the near future.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    I agree that RGP lenses may be an excellent choice. Remember the old CL adage...

"The drier the eye, the harder the lense".
    Better option would be a scleral lens.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    16 hours a day in Proclear will definately create a hypoxic cornea...wouldn't be surprised to see some Neovascularization if not now, but in the near future.
    Thanks for your post. If not 16 hours, what is the wear time you would recommend? Can lenses that feel so good really be bad for all day wear?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for your post. If not 16 hours, what is the wear time you would recommend? Can lenses that feel so good really be bad for all day wear?
    I think the dK of Proclear is about 26 give or take... I usually try to have patients in the 10-12 hour range with lower Dk lenses.

Lenses can feel good because your corneal sensitivity can decrease with hypoxia. Plus I have had many patients who when asked about their lenses, they stated everything was great, but their corneas had moderate or marked amounts of corneal neovascularization. That being said, there are outliers, who wear their low dK lenses for 16+ hours/day and have no neovascularization...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I think the dK of Proclear is about 26 give or take... I usually try to have patients in the 10-12 hour range with lower Dk lenses.

Lenses can feel good because your corneal sensitivity can decrease with hypoxia. Plus I have had many patients who when asked about their lenses, they stated everything was great, but their corneas had moderate or marked amounts of corneal neovascularization. That being said, there are outliers, who wear their low dK lenses for 16+ hours/day and have no neovascularization...
    Thanks for your advice, it is very much appreciated. I don't want me or anyone else developing neovascularization. The Dk of omafilcon, the material of Proclear is 33. Not great but better than 26.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

there are outliers, who wear their low dK lenses for 16+ hours/day and have no neovascularization...
    Like people who smoke from age 12 to 96, eat bacon everyday, and lay in the sun from 8am to 4pm and never have a health issue.

Thread Information