Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wear polarized sunglasses at rainy night to reduce blinding headlight glare !?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Canadian opticians and optometrists, and B&l teamed up with this informative site:

link:(http://driveawaytheglare.ca)
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Despite the fact that this dead horse has previously been beaten to death here - buried - exhumed - beaten again - reburied - and exhumed again for yet another round, there are some basics that strangely seem to be overlooked in the original post:

Tint at night is not desirable in almost any case. There may be limited and rare instances, but in these situations, a long discussion with one's primary medical eye health provider is certainly called for. Regardless, I can't think of ANY ECP who would in their right mind tell a patient that a C tint density would be a great idea at night or even dusk - particularly if the patient is 40 something or older.

Polarization effectiveness is also reduced with tint density - so if you're looking at some super light "polarized" lens option, it probably isn't...at least not in any meaningful way, unless to up the final sale cost to pt.

Think about this: Every state in the US prohibits any tint in the main windscreen of a motor vehicle. Why is that do you suppose?
    Last edited by Uilleann; 11-30-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Think about this: Every state in the US prohibits any tint in the main windscreen of a motor vehicle. Why is that do you suppose?
    Well that being the case then ALL tints in eyeglass lenses should be illegal? They are not, for those that want they can pick and chose the color and the amount. Us ECP's dint know when or where they are being used.

And this dead horse will be beat kicked shot at chewed on and blown up many more times before we are all on the south side of the grass.

So far we have seen very little input as to what we can do to help those type of people. PLENTY of information as to WHY they cant see. Well thats common knowledge. Or should we just turn them out to pasture and call it done?
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 11-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Well that being the case then ALL tints in eyeglass lenses should be illegal? They are not, for those that want they can pick and chose the color and the amount. Us ECP's dint know when or where they are being used.

And this dead horse will be beat kicked shot at chewed on and blown up many more times before we are all on the south side of the grass.

So far we have seen very little input as to what we can do to help those type of people. PLENTY of information as to WHY they cant see. Well thats common knowledge. Or should we just turn them out to pasture and call it done?
    Driving with a tinted lens at night may also well be illegal in your state. Consult your DMV and personal lawyer for further clarification. The fact is, that in order to operate a motor vehicle in the US, statues, rules and laws are in place to allow the operator the highest level of clear line sight out of said vehicle. Tints at night obviously do not allow that. Further, reduced light = reduced contrast...generally not the way you want grandma cruising down the rainy interstate. Good luck to anyone trying to defend otherwise. Do whatever you will.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have a patient the was riding her motorcycle at night with her drivewear glasses and got pulled over, simply because of the glasses. According to her, the LEO gave her a hard time about this, telling her is is illegal, in PA, to wear sunglasses after dusk. She said he had her insist that they were in fact her only glasses RX.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety
    - Merrill J. Allen, Bernard S. Abrams, Arthur P. Ginsburg, Leslie Weintraub

Do Yellow Glasses Impair Night Driving Vision
    - Oscar White Richards

Apparent Brightness Increases with Yellow Light
    - Richard Donovan Septon

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/olderdrivers.html

If I read it correctly they recommended wearing sunglasses on bright days to reduce the effect of going from a bright day into night. They did not recommend wearing any at night!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post

No I would explain the pros and cons of wearing in day time and night time. Then I would make sure it's well documented and have them read it and sign it and keep record in there file.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    If I read it correctly they recommended wearing sunglasses on bright days to reduce the effect of going from a bright day into night. They did not recommend wearing any at night!
    Yes, and yes. I like the recommendation to protect one eye. In other words, if you receive strong light at night, i.e., another driver's high beams, just close one eye until it passes, so that at least one eye remains dark adapted. Or if you're a Jedi, use finefocus' recommendation- close both eyes.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Robert Martellaro;445480]Yes, and yes. I like the recommendation to protect one eye. In other words, if you receive strong light at night, i.e., another driver's high beams, just close one eye until it passes, so that at least one eye remains dark adapted. Or if you're a Jedi, use finefocus' recommendation- close both eyes.[/QUOTE

Haha nice! The old Jedi mind trick with your eyes closed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The basic problem here isn't destruction of night vision (the one-eye trick) or light reflected from the windshield; the problem is the contrast between ambient darkness and bright headlights. Nothing that is done to lessen the brightness of the headlights will leave the dark matrix undarkened. The wearing of tinted lenses will make the lane striping easier to see, but not by enhancing the white paint. It is similar to the operating principle used by Bolle in their blue-tinted tennis glasses; you don't enhance the yellow ball, you just make everything else harder to see, you suppress the background. The white lane striping shows against the background because the background is harder to see. Polaroid lenses do almost nothing to reduce on-coming headlights (or headlights in the rear-view mirror), since they block light in only one plane, leaving the other meridians undimmed. Polarization does help with road surfaces, especially wet ones, lit by on-coming lights. Your comfort may be enhanced by tinting, but you'll miss that pedestrian who's about to step out of the shadow. My crack about closing your eyes was half serious; when there is just too much light, squint.
    It has the same effects, for better and for worse, as wearing shades.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't get the concept that polarized lenses, of any color or darkness, help with headlight glare. Polarized lenses help block horizontally reflected glare...assuming they are placed properly in the frame. Headlight glare is radial in nature. It is mostly the result of opacifications developing in our crystalline lens, in a round or radial pattern. The only way to get rid of it would be to remove and replace it with one which is more uniform and transparent.

One of the issues with night driving is the extreme difference in brightness between the background and the oncoming headlights. A tint of any kind will reduce both.

And all this talk about yellow lenses being better at night... Yellow lenses enhance contrast, so if anything, they might make glare worse.

Night driving is largely a scotopic function, so very little color vision is in play. Saying one color tint is better than another is not even relevant.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Isn't iScription supposed to significantly improve night vision? Does that seem our best bet currently for solving this widespread problem? I have a pair on order so I will share my experience when I receive them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Canadian opticians and optometrists, and B&l teamed up with this informative site:

link:(http://driveawaytheglare.ca)
    Just viewed this almost totally useless site. Yes spherical aberration due to increased pupil size but no mention of any remedy other than to see their eye care pro. Maybe making miotic drops OTC ?
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 12-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Isn't iScription supposed to significantly improve night vision? Does that seem our best bet currently for solving this widespread problem? I have a pair on order so I will share my experience when I receive them.
    The concept is exactly the same as any quality A/R lens. Keep the focus as tight as possible. Eliminate as many abberations (lower and higher) as possible. You're not doing a THING to attenuate light. In fact, the goal is to get as much light into the eye as physically possible. BUT, you're attempting to manage the focus and coherency of that light on it's journey to the retina as much as you can. You're not dimming the light - but you can do much to keep a bright light source as tightly focused as possible and not allow the dreaded snowball/fuzzball of light that we perceive as increased glare in low light/night scenarios.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't wear them at night BUT I have a Kodak Unique with photo-polar brown (they come in gray also) which I wear on rainy and/or overcast days. I LOVE them! This is an upgrade from my old Drivewear lenses. The lenses are not so yellow, which I like.

Thread Information