Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Training opticians in retail sales.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that anything is better than scrubs. I think dark jeans in appropriate cuts are okay, too. Cleavage is another matter - if your clients are showing it, a little is okay. If they're not, it's not. We are in sales after all and I cannot tell you how many successful middle aged men have advised me to hire "cute young things" to sell eyewear. Turning cute young things into opticians is another matter entirely though, and I'm certainly not advocating hiring on looks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Haha so true.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Gokhan. The Suits and lab coats are tired and old - two qualities that don't inspire confidence. Scrubs have bears and candycanes printed all over them nowadays - contemporary attire for the people lurking around Wal-Mart at 3am. Be contemporary, approachable and most of all clean.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    It is easier to explain the product using terms that match the benefits to the client, for instance "no-glare" or "enhanced contrast" lenses rather than an anti-reflective coating.
    You and I are just going to have to respectfully disagree on this issue. But you are never ever ever going to change my mind, because in practices where I have sold it as "no glare" we sold about 50% AR; in this practice where we educate and respect our clients we are over 92%.

I don't earn my clients respect I demand it then I prove that I am worth it.
    I don't understand how that's possible. Respect isn't thrust forcibly on people.

As far as the high-end-frame issue goes, I stand by my statement. I'm not talking about guiding poor-looking people toward the lower-cost frames only, I'm talking about knowing my patient who's bought Safilo Elastas and Charmant titaniums exclusively for eight years and maybe not steering him directly for the $650 wood-templed Oga that I know he'll hate. I'm talking about having product designed to appeal to my patients who are farmers and auto mechanics, and having frames for my lawyers and physicians. Sure, there's overlap; anyone can buy anything. But we know our demographics and we know our individual patients. And patients do take offense at feeling like they're being upsold, especially when you work for a 29-year-old practice that has serviced many of the same families for decades.

Remember that you're selling the future and a relationship as well as a pair of glasses! That $1200 sale is sweet in the moment, but it's sweeter if they come back for more in a year or two, and if they tell their friends and family about you. It's not so useful if they go home regretting purchase of a bunch of high-end add-ons whose benefits they don't quite understand.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 12-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1+

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    It's not just CA - it can be done here. 100% of my clients are cash pay and I'm not selling the cheapest thing in the world, not the most expensive, just solid middle ground. We're doing on selection and the service only trained opticians can provide.
    Java99 its always a pleasure to hear from you. I think that you are the most recent optician to go Independant on the board. It sounds like all is well!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Java99 its always a pleasure to hear from you. I think that you are the most recent optician to go Independant on the board. It sounds like all is well!
    So far so good. Ten months in and we've hired another person last week, bringing the total people working in the shop to four. We have a doctor interested in leasing space next to us, and two docs in town referring. I haven't been posting because I've been buried in work and training staff, which is fantastic. And relevant to this thread, we have had a rotten time finding experienced opticians with the right attitude, so we hired people with helpful personalities who could pass a math test, and I'm training optics. All the opticians we've interviewed either aren't interested in the lifestyle approach to fitting eyewear or think sales is a dirty word. Or had large distracting face jewelry and tattooes they weren't interested in covering. Or had been working in a chain for five years and could not explain to me the purpose of Prentice's rule during the interview and thought they knew it all already. Frustrating.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far so good. Ten months in and we've hired another person last week, bringing the total people working in the shop to four. We have a doctor interested in leasing space next to us, and two docs in town referring. I haven't been posting because I've been buried in work and training staff, which is fantastic. And relevant to this thread, we have had a rotten time finding experienced opticians with the right attitude, so we hired people with helpful personalities who could pass a math test, and I'm training optics. All the opticians we've interviewed either aren't interested in the lifestyle approach to fitting eyewear or think sales is a dirty word. Or had large distracting face jewelry and tattooes they weren't interested in covering. Or had been working in a chain for five years and could not explain to me the purpose of Prentice's rule during the interview and thought they knew it all already. Frustrating.
    OK I took the bait. I'm curious.What was the wrong attitude that the opticians voiced?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I haven't been posting because I've been buried in work and training staff, which is fantastic. And relevant to this thread, we have had a rotten time finding experienced opticians with the right attitude, so we hired people with helpful personalities who could pass a math test, and I'm training optics. All the opticians we've interviewed either aren't interested in the lifestyle approach to fitting eyewear or think sales is a dirty word.
    I love it you need helpful sales associates with math skills, the rest is trainable. It speaks volumes when coming from the owner.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    OK I took the bait. I'm curious.What was the wrong attitude that the opticians voiced?
    She went on with a lengthy description.

...And relevant to this thread, we have had a rotten time finding experienced opticians with the right attitude, so we hired people with helpful personalities who could pass a math test, and I'm training optics.

All the opticians we've interviewed either aren't interested in the lifestyle approach to fitting eyewear

or think sales is a dirty word.

Or had large distracting face jewelry and tattooes they weren't interested in covering.

Or had been working in a chain for five years and could not explain to me the purpose of Prentice's rule during the interview and thought they knew it all already. Frustrating.
    Looks like the wrong attitude to me. I wouldn't hire them either.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Wes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love it you need helpful sales associates with math skills, the rest is trainable. It speaks volumes when coming from the owner.
    I'm sorry, is optics not trainable?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How does it work in licensed states? Are non licensed people allowed to dispense while they are training?

Occupation
    I'm sorry, is optics not trainable?
    He's agreeing with you. Someone who can sell and has math skills can be taught optics. Many opticians, however, have a hard time learning the skills you require, and often don't know what they think they know. Much of that issue comes from those opticians never being trained correctly in the first place. They assume that since they've been doing a thing a certain way for a long time that it's correct. Often, they've just been screwing up for a long time.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course optics is trainable. We learned.

Occupation
    How does it work in licensed states? Are non licensed people allowed to dispense while they are training?
    Yes, under supervision of a licensed optician, optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    He's agreeing with you. Someone who can sell and has math skills can be taught optics. Many opticians, however, have a hard time learning the skills you require, and often don't know what they think they know. Much of that issue comes from those opticians never being trained correctly in the first place. They assume that since they've been doing a thing a certain way for a long time that it's correct. Often, they've just been screwing up for a long time.
    Oops, I misunderstood.

The screwing up for a long time thing is rampant here. I'd help someone learn the right way, if they're willing to learn. I can't teach attitude though and I learned a long time ago not to try.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, under supervision of a licensed optician, optometrist or ophthalmologist.
    That's what the law says but never applied in anywhere. So, anyone can dispense and if caught just a warning. That's why LC has only one opticians in their store, some doesn't even have any.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    That's what the law says but never applied in anywhere. So, anyone can dispense and if caught just a warning. That's why LC has only one opticians in their store, some doesn't even have any.
    In SC, to have this addressed, one must file a formal complaint with the state Board/LLR. Of course any optician filing a formal complaint would end up blackballed by every optical shop in the state, so there aren't many complaints filed. When they are filed, it's usually an optometrist.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In SC, to have this addressed, one must file a formal complaint with the state Board/LLR. Of course any optician filing a formal complaint would end up blackballed by every optical shop in the state, so there aren't many complaints filed. When they are filed, it's usually an optometrist.
    In CA nothing happens even if you file a complaint.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the purpose of the license if anyone is allowed to dispense "under the supervision of an OD/MD"? Is there a maximum period of time that one can be supervised and not licensed or can they remained unlicensed and supervised forever and still dispense eyewear? Interesting...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

12 Tips for “Psychological Selling”.....................

Your thoughts?
    I did a little search on the web and found the following that might apply to the original subject:

12 Tips for “Psychological Selling”

People are highly complex and often mysterious, so we all struggle to understand our fellow humans. However, now that you’ve gotten over being afraid to sell, here are a few basic psychological tidbits that can help you write compelling copy.

1. People make decisions emotionally.
    They decide based on a feeling, need, or emotion, not though a logical thought process. That’s why intangible benefits are the keys to persuasion. When you’re writing, you should ask yourself, “What is the emotional hot button here?”

see the whole article ----------------> http://www.copyblogger.com/psychological-selling/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Chris

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by tx11; 12-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Sales is sales" to paraphrase the Author, Ellis Parker Butler, but,the more knowledge you have of your product however, the better you will be able to represent it, a person in industrial sales must have a infinitely higher technical knowledge of his product than the counter clerk at Starbucks to do their job well. Our industry is still dealing with an identity crisis, is this a medical device or a fashion statement? if it is pure fashion, then the High Schooler that works at Hollister should be able to do as well as the ABOM who dissects every angle and measurement to optimize fit and function. The truth lies somewhere in between. I have always been an advocate of a two tiered system, where you have a style consultant type person for the initial patient interactions and an experienced Optician to make sure the frame is the best one for the patient and the RX, unfortunately, the latter person is usually gets jettisoned in favor of a slightly trained stylist who sells to their spiff. Now, you can't have an Rx Nazi dictating what the patient will and won't be fitted with, sometimes the patient's style considerations must be taken into the equation. bottom line, there is no best answer, but, training is never bad and usually is worth the time and effort taken with it.

Thread Information