Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going granola ... peace mannnn

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All joking aside, the best thing you could do for yourself is eat real food. Not processed diet food. If you're gonna eat a cake, bake it from scratch. I've been slowly dropping weight for the last 2 years. I'll lose 20, gain 10, lose 10, gain 5. It's very frustrating, but better than going up every year. My biggest problem is that I went to college for 3 years for....Dietetics! Plus my mother is a complete health food nut (emphasis on nut). I think it would be easier if my husband was crunchy granola, but he's the exact opposite.

Lately, I've accepted the fact that I can't stay with anything for more than 3-4 months. I did manage to stay low carb all through camping season, which is amazing with the amount of drinking we do. Did a weight watchers stint, but they are not my favorite. I joined a gym this week, so I'm going to be a gym bunny for the next few months. I'm hoping to keep it up, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As far as the gym goes...cardio, cardio and more cardio. Hi Intensity Interval Training is the real way to go. Diet is about 70% important and cardio is about 30%. Even on a treadmill, run FAST as possible as LONG as possible, then walk. When you are ready, run like hell again, then walk. It really does work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    As far as the gym goes...cardio, cardio and more cardio. Hi Intensity Interval Training is the real way to go. Diet is about 70% important and cardio is about 30%. Even on a treadmill, run FAST as possible as LONG as possible, then walk. When you are ready, run like hell again, then walk. It really does work.
    I have to laugh, because the words 'run fast' and Annie typically don't belong in the same sentence.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just watched 'Food Inc.' it was very thought provoking and sad. My husband is mock mocking me for crying over the treatment of chickens. Kinda wanna throw up the chicken Parm I made for dinner.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Just watched 'Food Inc.' it was very thought provoking and sad. My husband is mock mocking me for crying over the treatment of chickens. Kinda wanna throw up the chicken Parm I made for dinner.
    All joking aside, the best thing you could do for yourself is eat real food.
    You need to keep it all in perspective.

My 15 year old son raises sheep, but I have absolutely no taste for lamb whatsoever (to me, they taste like sheep smell). Last Spring, while driving home from soccer practice, my son was commenting on what how cute one of the sets of lamb twins that were born at our place were. Just then my wife called and asked what he wanted for dinner. He said, " lamb chilli sounds awesome!" When she told him they had finished the last of the lamb already, he said, "I can't wait for those twins to grow up so I can sell one for a FIFA Soccer x-box game, and put the other one in the freezer." I looked at him and laughed, and he said, "Well they're still cute, but I don't raise them because they look nice..."

He gets it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no problem eating meat, although I'm not sure if I could do the initial butchering. But I believe that it should be done in a respectful way. Without the animals covered in their own poop. Without the need to wash the meat in ammonia. Yuck.

Baby sheep are pretty cute.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm hijacking this thread, since everything on optiboard is all about me, right?

So I just rejoined Weight Watchers for the billionth time. I also joined a gym a month ago and have been going faithfully 5 days a week since. I haven't lost a pound yet, but my watch is looser and so are my cuffs on my button down shirts. It's so frustrating. Some days I wish I were a man. I'd probably have already lost 15 pounds.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't worry about the weight number. As we exercise, we lose fat while building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I've lost about 4" on my waist and gained 10 lbs in the process.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you also have to remember you're probably gaining muscle theres a plateau everyone reaches and you really have to work through it even though its stupid and frustrating!! Make sure you're trying to drink as much water in a day as you're supposed to, i know that sounds crazy, but it really helped me when i was going hardcore at losing weight. it also helps keep you a little full so you're less likely to snack!!

i've totally lost steam with the holidays, a patient brought in an entire basket of homemade fudge and cookies a couple of weeks ago, i didn't want to hur their feelings by not trying some back on the wagon after the 25th!! i just have no willpower when it comes to homemade stuff *sigh*
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know, the homemade stuff kills me too, because I like to make the homemade stuff myself. I usually bake my own bread and cakes and cookies, so it's hard to do that when I'm trying hard to lose all this weight. I know that muscle weighs more, this is in fact why I've always weighed more than others my height and size. I'm built more like an ox instead of a tall drink of water. It's still just frustrating that is all. And apparently I'm smoking crack thinking I should starting my "i'm gonna be healthy forever plan" one week before the holidays.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    And apparently I'm smoking crack thinking I should starting my "i'm gonna be healthy forever plan" one week before the holidays.
    but the crack diet is supposed to be fabulous!!!

all kidding aside don't let it get you down what gym do you go to? do they have a trainer? thats always helpful because they'll get on you and make you do stuff!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm such a repeat offender to the gym scene, I could probably become a certified trainor myself. Once I get to the gym, I just start watching the other people at the gym who are in great shape, and then I feel motivated. Or, I work out in a mirror that showcases my spectacular fupa, and that makes me workout ever harder.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Did you just say/type fupa ? If so, it took me awhile to catch on...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Did you just say/type fupa ? If so, it took me awhile to catch on...

Its like my parasitic twin.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I haven't heard that term since college. BTW, I'm sure it isn't that bad.

Thread Information