Thread: RIght lens Intermediate Lens blurred using Nikon Presio Power

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

RIght lens Intermediate Lens blurred using Nikon Presio Power

Hello, new to the forum. Just serviced a cx today. In the past he has used Nikon BUT also find out that he has also had this problem in the past with progressives. Here is the issue:

WHen he needs to look at the intermediate area of the lens, he has ever so slightly turn his head to catch the intermediate reading area. He's not natural in looking in all the fields of vision except if he's doing something specific ie looking in the distance or just reading. I have used a pupliometer, marked the pupils with a marker, measured heights from the centre of the pupil> but i'm always 98%, never 100%.

When he closes his left eye to only look with his right, here is what he sees: Blurred vision at intermediate & ever so slightly blurred with reading. Distance is OK. When he closes his right eye, the left fields of vision are good. When he needs to use both, not clear at all. He is always in need to use intermediate & reading constantly but it shouldn't be a guessing game to move slightly here or there to catch the fields of vision.

I also wore his glasses to verify the complaint. When I had did the same actions, I also noticed that the intermediate was blurry on the right, left was good. Using both eyes, everything is blurred even if I come close to the computer screen ( we were testing an intermediate length).

I adjusted the glasses before I did any measurements, move the lens up and down, stretched the glasses outwards, adjusted nose pads>> made no difference.

So my question is what have I done wrong OR what needs to be adjusted to correct this so all fields of vision are comfortable?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In order to assist, more information, especially the powers of both lenses, measured IPD, monocular, for eyes and lens position, would be helpful.

Welcome to Optiboard, fvc!
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the warm greetings. Here is what I have in the power:
    OD: -3.75 -1.25 x 70
    monoculat pd R: 30; L:31.5
    (however when i first measure it, I dotted his lens.
    Heights: R: 20; L: 21 ( b/c of vertical pupil imbalance)

I spoke to Nikon today. They told me to take a measuring tape & measure the distance from his computer screen to his lenses. From that measurement, I would set the dial on the pupilometer and take his ''intermediate pd''. It could work as I never thought of that.

I was just thinking should I use a different Nikon lens altogether. The higher grade lenses require the pantoscopic angle & wrap. ( BTW, I was looking for these measurement toosl online but to no avail)

Any suggestions as I don't know what else to do except fail & return his $??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First, my apologies for the delay in answering you, fvc, but, life keeps getting in the way! I might be having a bad reading day/hour/moment.................but, I cannot see the Add power given in your posts. What is it?
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    First, my apologies for the delay in answering you, fvc, but, life keeps getting in the way! I might be having a bad reading day/hour/moment.................but, I cannot see the Add power given in your posts. What is it?
    haha, NP. You are awesome for rresponding to me just like the other members (your wisemen & women).

Its +2.25

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This person has been dealing with some imbalance of images, perhaps since childhood. It is not necessarily a problem, but is becoming increasingly so, due to presbyopia. The add power indicates that this is a mature adult, perhaps in their mid to late 50's, and is now finding the distance vision in eyewear is deficient for intermediate activity. These person need trifocals, and some attention might be paid to the refraction axis. Try shifting the axis on the lens + or - 3 degrees either side of 70. Suggest a separate set of lined trifocal for intense private computer work, and a pair of office lenses for general public(office) work.
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information