Thread: Mouse and Modem wont play nice together

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Mouse and Modem wont play nice together

We had a lightening strike out back the other day and it took out my old modem. I just installed a US Robotics Modem which fixed my dial up problems but now it won't play nice with my Logitech Trackball.

I edited the registry and told the Trackball software not to search the port my modem is on when the computer boots up but that doesn't seem to work. My pointer still freezes up. I can still use the keyboard to get around but the pointer won't move.

Do any of you folks have any advise about how to get the Modem and the Trackball to play nice together?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question trackball

Doesn't your trackball have a configuration applet in the Control Panel?

Editing the registry is always dangerous - several changes in different locations might be required, and this sort of thing usually isn't documented.

If the trackball driver is searching com ports (assuming it's a serial mouse), it probably does so in the same order every time -try swapping the modem and mouse ports.

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    Have you looked at the device IRQs? Maybe they are conflicting?

Why not update your trackball to a USB version? What is the meaning of life?

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea To avoid this in the future

You should protect your your pc with some sort of surge protector at the very least(thats bare minimum). Your best bet is to install a UPS backup....Most of the better name brands such as APC will even pay for any damge that occurs in the event of a power surge,brown out and yes even a lightining strike :shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The problem is .....

mouses are really mice and mice are deathly afraind of serial mouses so they always retreat to their com ports when the ball trackers are using the US Robotics that have been infected with the USB version of the IRQ's softwear.

If you want your mice to come out of hiding your will have to thaw out your pointer and install a UPS backup that will be more mouse freindly.

When you have accomplished this, it would be good go get the mouse and the modem in the same chat room and teach them a new configuration, however when they are learning these new techniques it is good to use a preventive surge protector.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: To avoid this in the future

Sean said:
    You should protect your your pc with some sort of surge protector at the very least(thats bare minimum). Your best bet is to install a UPS backup....Most of the better name brands such as APC will even pay for any damge that occurs in the event of a power surge,brown out and yes even a lightining strike :shiner:
    I have a surge protector and the phone line to the PC is connected to it. I just don't think it liked a lightening strike so close. We lost two television sets last year during a thunderstorm. It turned out that when they installed the cable lines they neglected to ground them. Hmmm, maybe this series of electronic deaths due to the force of nature is really an omen.

I think I will follow 10 Pence's advice and get a USB mouse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    shanbaum,

In the end I followed your advice and it appears to have worked. Knock on wood laminate.

Thank you!

Thread Information