Thread: Out with Brands.....frames + CL's

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question Out with Brands.....frames + CL's

Over the last yr+ we've been replacing brand names with good frames form Optiq, Uniflex, Sunoptic and others. We've created our own "brand" by printing some vinyl clings with a "brand" we made up, then we put them on the demo lenses of Sunoptic frames. Sunoptics have good styling but no branding on the demo lens or temple. The consumer seems to respond better when it has a name on it!?

Anyhow that's for frames. Now our attention has turned to CL's. We (all us ECP's) cannot continue to promote J&J, Alcon/Ciba, Cooper products. Our associations/professions are addicted to money provided to them by the bigs. But the bigs are undermining our B&M business by allowing the product to be so readily available for less than cost! So how to apply the same survival strategy used with glasses to CL's ??

I've been trying the Clariti SiHy lens from Centennia,l as a go-to lens for new spherical fits. New fits are given Clariti in one eye and Av Oasys in the other. So far there's no significant difference in initial comfort but after 1w Oasys wins out 60% of the time wrt comfort throughout a day of lens wear. Not a home-run for Clariti maybe a single. So far its' not a great candidate to replace Av or Air Optix etc..

Any experience out there with CL alternatives.
    Any toric alternatives?? Multifocal

Sorry so far I'm not interested in RGP's. I have worn them myself but I hate the feeling , even with larger diameter lenses so I'm not going to be enthusiastic about them with clients.

Regards
    Gibster

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    hey Gibster,

I agree totally. Problem I've had with Sunoptic, frankly, is the quality. They offer a great selection and they are on the right track, but honestly I get a lot of returns for busted spring hinges etc. Decors fall off, and I wish they'd fix that, we could do so much more with them. I've handled Warby frames and they are more solid. I don't see why that needs to be the case. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and get meaningfully better quality. I really like Sunoptic, and hope they sort that out.

Sadly I don't see much in the way of a CL alternative, and I'm not sure that is the best place to go "generic", I say buy an inventory when they have "specials", pinch your nose and do it. I suggest you scan Clearly Contacts pricing on a per box basis, including any shipping, and see where you can be competitive.

I've said it in other threads - Someone is going come up with a good quality, "sunoptic-style" - Warby Parker-esque classic set of frames which we ECPs can Private Label, with whatever name we choose, such as our store's name, and offer it at the right price and right quantities, so we can build our OWN brand, rather than someone else's. If they don't, I will do it.....I believe the business model can work.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    hey Gibster,

I agree totally. Problem I've had with Sunoptic, frankly, is the quality. They offer a great selection and they are on the right track, but honestly I get a lot of returns for busted spring hinges etc. Decors fall off, and I wish they'd fix that, we could do so much more with them. I've handled Warby frames and they are more solid. I don't see why that needs to be the case. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and get meaningfully better quality. I really like Sunoptic, and hope they sort that out.

Sadly I don't see much in the way of a CL alternative, and I'm not sure that is the best place to go "generic", I say buy an inventory when they have "specials", pinch your nose and do it. I suggest you scan Clearly Contacts pricing on a per box basis, including any shipping, and see where you can be competitive.

I've said it in other threads - Someone is going come up with a good quality, "sunoptic-style" - Warby Parker-esque classic set of frames which we ECPs can Private Label, with whatever name we choose, such as our store's name, and offer it at the right price and right quantities, so we can build our OWN brand, rather than someone else's. If they don't, I will do it.....I believe the business model can work.
    PL branding is the best way for an individual to not only be able to compete effectively, but also improve the bottom line - it makes perfect sense. The issue lies with the independent's attitude (in most cases) that they know everything and are too proud to take advice, recommendations or how to improve and streamline their operations from vendors that actually know the industry and market trends quite well!

On the lens side, I've offered numerous (hundreds) incredible pricing, warranties etc on the latest lens brands and coatings that they can call their own, yet only a small have actually takem advantage of it. This small group is now competing better, saving money and loving it while the others still sit and procrastinate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    PL branding is the best way for an individual to not only be able to compete effectively, but also improve the bottom line - it makes perfect sense. The issue lies with the independent's attitude (in most cases) that they know everything and are too proud to take advice, recommendations or how to improve and streamline their operations from vendors that actually know the industry and market trends quite well!

On the lens side, I've offered numerous (hundreds) incredible pricing, warranties etc on the latest lens brands and coatings that they can call their own, yet only a small have actually takem advantage of it. This small group is now competing better, saving money and loving it while the others still sit and procrastinate.
    Hindsight;

Where are you located in Canada?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Hindsight;

Where are you located in Canada?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

PM'd you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the Sunoptic feedback. So far we haven't had any come-backs wrt hinges but the "diamond" decors have come off so we've not ordered too many. We price them right so the buyer knows they're getting a value brand.
    We made up 30mm oval vinyl clings with a brand we came up with to give Sunoptics some brand id. Adds 98 cents to my cost of frame.

What do you mean by handled Warby frames?Was it clients coming in needing lenses , adjustment or did you purchase some? I've only looked once at their site so I'll have to checks again. But from what I recall Sunoptic had lots of models with a Warby look.....admittedly a little cheaper look of the Suns....hmmm

Thanks for the input guys.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where i work, we do a fairly large assortment on sunoptic frames, and while pretty much all good, the issues we've had are usually decals coming off or spring hinges coming apart, but really not very many. I do like the sound of a house style brand of frames, very intriguing.
    Jonathan

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by thelittlestnixon View Post
    Where i work, we do a fairly large assortment on sunoptic frames, and while pretty much all good, the issues we've had are usually decals coming off or spring hinges coming apart, but really not very many. I do like the sound of a house style brand of frames, very intriguing.

I have been trying to find a supplier in the Middle Kingdom that can make a stylish good quality frame that can be PL'd. But it would require 10+ independents to come together in a limited geographic area. A difficult prospect to pull off. I've approached a few of my OD colleagues about it with little traction. Plus the idea of OD + optician collaboration to many (myself excluded) would be a no go . Too bad as we're in the same boat: small businesses facing an increasingly difficult retail marketplace. I have to get on my soapbox wrt the retail nature of OD's(something that most like to distance themselves from but rely on!): We evolved from opticians who decided they had to figure out how to generate the script to sell the glasses asap! In the same boat but maybe we have a motor.....

Thread Information