Thread: Have you ever....?

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have you ever....?

...looked at a glass bead frame warmer and wondered if it would keep your coffee nice and warm? or considered warming up your lunch in one? I found myself doing it the other day and realized I might be straying into "old optician" territory....
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A guy I work with has been warming his lunch up in his bead bath for years.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not really optical, but I've been known to wrap hot dogs in tin foil and put them under the hood of my car on trips.

Yumm!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There was a thread here some time ago with recipes suitable for beadpan cooking. You would be amazed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thought about this yesterday actually. I went to turn the dye tank on, and Doc had left a pizza box on top of it, but it was a little early to heat it up. Chem hardeners work better, no fumes, but I don't do glass any longer. Who here has not stirred their coffee with their PD ruler?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, when you could get "boil-in-bag" meals, I had a lab guy keep a vat of water in the tint tank for heating up his lunch!
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This reminds me of the thread about multiple uses of pd sticks. And no, I have NEVER stirred my coffee with a pd stick! gross yuck blech.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once worked with a guy who really liked to chew on new silicone nose pads. He loved the squeeky resistance against his teeth. Needless to say, when he would sneak in to the lab to grab one and pop it in his mouth, I would often yell out, "NO!! DON'T!! THOSE ARE GROSS OLD ONES!!" ..and then I would rub my hands together and cackle as he gagged and spit in to the trash. Good times, good times.

Which leads to the question; Why would you ever think to put a nose-pad in your mouth in the first place?
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been keeping my coffee hot in an old AO salt pan for years. Works great till it gets left in too long and cooks to a gooey mess in the bottom of the cup, or if someone gets a bit too rambunctious warming up a frame at the same time and flings glass beads into the cup.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked with a guy who used to heat up can soups/pasta up in the reclaim tank.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Years ago I worked in a downtown street store location that was located directly across the street from a restaurant that had just about the best fried clams in the world. We used to run over there and come back with a quart two or three times a day. Of course, the wax carton was plunged into the salt pan to keep the clams (whole clams - not the clam strips most places serve today) toasty warm. In a short period of time the grease (lard, real lard . . . mmmm) would seep through the carton and impart the sweet aroma of fried clams throughout the shop and after adjusting their glasses most customers remarked that they had a sudden urge for fried sea food.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used to put them on the floor to keep our feet warm in the winter. Also would put foil wrapped potatoes in them. Worked like a charm!

Thread Information