Thread: Office Lenses vs. Executive Bifocals - Non-Rx-Specific-Consumer-Question

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Office Lenses vs. Executive Bifocals - Non-Rx-Specific-Consumer-Question

As consumer obeying the forum guidelines I'd like to clarify a distinction about these two lens types.

I've read a great deal of the threads here that concern office lenses and have read many of the manufacturers sites as well. The informative posts here led me to think that office lenses are the way to go. So, I walked into a local optical shop and without an exam I explained that I want office lenses and why and the proprietor's response was that Executive bifocals are better for what I want. All of my research was dashed. Any further discussion at the optical shop (about the differences between the two) was vague and unsatisfying.

So, without an Rx-specific question I would like to clarify the distinction. I do understand that with the Executive BF there is a line and the two correction amounts are uniform from edge to edge. And, with the Office lens there is a sort of an hourglass shaped region that is usable and progressive. What I don't understand is how, if this is correct, either plays out in day to day usage in terms of comfort, posture, natural head position/movement and fatigue, etc.

I want to be able to look at my screen (at the end of my finger tips) or the manuals open on my desk without switching glasses or unnatural head movement. I can do this now if I back away a bit to look at documents on my desk - which is OK for a moment or so. For the longer (10 feet) "office" distance I don't think I care if I look through the lens, over the top of the lens or take the glasses off. I am getting the impression that when looking at someone across a table -- looking through the lens would be the most natural and comfortable. But, I don't know that for sure or if that can be achieved with both lens types.
    Last edited by Arbalest; 11-02-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Before this post gets shut down, I would recommend you seek a QUALITY optician to discuss this. Too many variables to say here. I'll refer you to one in the Chi-town area. He is very qualified. Go here to send him a PM.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/member.php/19865-kcount

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    1) Why would this get "shut down"? It is about lens design, not medical advice or about a specific Rx.

2) I called several opticians (beyond what I mentioned) and didn't get much further. Another reason to post here is that no one is likely to be in a position to gain financially by leading my one way or another.

3) Apparently I am not allowed to access the member page you referred me to.

4) Can I rephrase the question(s) so that fewer variables are involved?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Pm him on this site. His handle is kcount
    He's a good guy.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are many opticians here with more experience and expertise than I possess but I will offer a few thoughts.

We are talking about a visual solution to a lifestyle need.
    "I want to be able to look at my screen (at the end of my finger tips) or the manuals open on my desk without switching glasses or unnatural head movement."

To an extent this is achievable with "office lenses". The manufacturer intends for that lens to be used as you are suggesting. Of course it will require some head movement. The way I understand the office design is that it has a large area for intermediate distance (what you need most) and smaller distance and near areas. You are correct that "looking through the lens would be the most natural and comfortable" (for distance viewing).

The main advantage of the executive bifocal is the width of viewing field. It would also give you a much larger distance viewing area (in the upper "half" of the lens). However with the line there are significant drawbacks. First it gives a small "blind spot" as you can't see through the line. Second the executive lens will not be flexible on the add power as the progressive would. It could be set at intermediate (fingertip length) but it would not help you nearly as much as the progressive with near vision.

Ultimately it depends on the wearer and the ability to learn how to properly use either design. It sounds to me like the office design is more closely aligned to your visual habits and how you want to use the lens. However as Optical 24/7 said there are many other variables.

For example we don't know much about the glasses you are using now. If you are accustomed to a lined bifocal already the optician may have been reluctant to switch to a progressive design as that can be difficult.

Also you mentioned that you don't mind looking over the glasses at a distance. You may find that some single vision intermediate power lenses work very well for you. I don't necessarily recommend that but consider it as an option.

Best of luck finding a solution that works well for you,

Josh

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Time to shut this down folks!

It looks like we are discussing optics and eyecare!

Please review the posting guidelines.

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Thread Information